[WIP] Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (Demo now available)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Multimania
Vortininja
Location: Hiding in a small, cramped corner of the BwB megarocket.

Re: [WIP] Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (Demo now available)

Post by Multimania »

Very neat. I gave this a quick go, and love the levels so far!

A Linux version would be great, too — it worked fine under wine, but I did need to install .net 7 in the wine prefix. If you can get it working with FNA, that'd be great.

The thing that feels weirdest to me is the camera, which is quite different from Keen's. The way the camera focuses on an area in front of Keen (and so moves when you change from facing left to right) feels really weird (even if it's a good way of seeing where you're going, and seems to work okay in other games). I think the biggest difference in feel is just that the camera seems a bit slow — in Keen, it tends to only move when Keen himself is moving, and very rarely needs to 'catch up'. It also keeps Keen's feet at a constant y-coordinate, only if he's standing on the ground. Finally, two small similar differences: in Keen, the camera stays still for the entire ledge-grabbing animation, and Keen stays in the middle of the screen (with less leeway) on the world map.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Glad to hear you liked the levels. I don't have much experience with making platformer levels so far (my level design experience has mostly been Lemmings) so it's good to know I'm doing well.

I felt that being able to see ahead of Keen was more important than following the mechanics exactly. I'm open to changes, although my concern would be more "does it work well and look smooth" than "does it match the official games".
Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined - a reimagining of Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

You're doing great and I am impressed! You're going to do well, I know it.

Lemmings level designing is great, I am guessing you were using Customized Lemmings for that? I've used it for a long time and came up with some pretty nice/interesting and challenging levels.

Keep up the amazing work with Keen!
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Customized Lemmings (as well as Cheapo, if anyone remembers that) is long considered obsolete now. NeoLemmix is generally the platform of choice, including that it's what all my 2D Lemmings content is on (I have one 3D Lemmings level pack that's compatible with both the clone engine Loap and the actual DOS Lemmings 3D game). For those who want to stick to the official physics, bugs and all, vanilla Lemmix is usually the go-to.
Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined - a reimagining of Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Interesting! I've never heard of NeoLemmix and that is a must try for me now. Thanks for letting me know that.

Great job doing a 3D Lemmings level pack, sound cool! I hope your Keening experience is just as fun. Good luck!
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Everyone's favorite fish is finally implemented, also meaning that every Keen 4 enemy is now implemented (except the treasure eaters, which I'm not planning to implement).

https://youtu.be/6ZNKWOOltN0

The Dopefish is unique among hazards so far in that it's an instant kill regardless of how many lives you have.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Development is now starting to extend beyond just Shadowlands.

namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

The Fribbulus Xax world map is complete. I took things a bit more in my own direction for this one than I did for Shadowlands.

Shadowlands now has 7 completed levels (the 6 included in the demo plus Pyramid of the Sun), and one Fribbulus Xax level (Bloogwaters Crossing) is also complete.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Wow! That is quite awesome, I am enjoying this map. Excellent work there!
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WseiVP-BU9Y

Blooglets, Bloogs and Blooguards in action!

Ceilicks, Bobbas and Babobbas have also been implemented now.
Last edited by namida on Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:16, edited 1 time in total.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I feel like a fool. How do I even load this game?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Syllypryde wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:45 I feel like a fool. How do I even load this game?
Extract the ZIP and run KeenGame.exe (I need to give it a proper filename). It runs on its own engine; no need to supply a copy of any official game or use CKPatch etc.

You do need to install .NET 7.0 to run it. It's likely you already have this if you're on a modern version of Windows.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

We have Bloobs. And Fleexes.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

I like what I see :)
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Just finished implementing the last Keen 6 enemy (the Bipship).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRSLHxVBg_0

I've got half the levels for the Fribbulus Xax segment done so far. Still haven't done much on the Omegamatic segment, and a couple of levels for Shadowlands still need doing as well.