Hi-res Keen 4 Footage

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Hi-res Keen 4 Footage

Post by biffstudly »

Hey again everyone, long time no see. I’ve been lurking, and I’m so impressed by all the amazing things this community continues to put out.

Now, last time I tried to record a video of a keen mod was almost 9 years and I didn’t have a decent computer. I believe I was using a second hand Sony laptop that made up its own mind on how many times you needed to hit the power button for it to turn on. So, the footage and all (especially) the audio were awful. I feel like I need to redeem myself.

So here’s where this comes in! I’ve started uploading to my YouTube channel again, now armed with a proper recording and editing PC I wanted to put up some nice Keen footage, starting with a test of keen 4, and then hopefully pivot to mods.

Here’s a link to the first Secret of the Oracle video:
https://youtu.be/EoaNbyLXJ3o

Edit: Here's a link to the playlist, it'll be updated as videos are uploaded!!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _q1jX_I3rJ

Recorded at 1440p and 60 FPS, emulated with DOSBox Staging, using a GLshader for the CRT look. For best results, view on the highest resolution you can manage! It’s currently only this first video, but I have more scheduled to upload in the next few days!

Thanks for all your time everyone, and keep up the amazing work cranking out even more and more impressive mods!
Last edited by biffstudly on Thu Feb 22, 2024 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Re: Hi-res Keen 4 Footage

Post by Mobiethian »

This is really cool, thanks! I am glad you are doing recordings. Looks awesome!

Hopefully more will show up in the future. Sub'd!
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Thanks mate! Appreciate the sub, it actually helps a ton, you can literally see reach go up across all content with every like and sub haha

So, quick question, which Keen game/mod should I do after I'm finished up with Keen 4? Any suggestions are super welcome!
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

You're welcome! Well, personally, I think you should do Keen 9: Battle of the Brains, or at least at some point.

Keen 9 BotB has a lot of sentimental value to me because I helped out with some graphics tiles in it. One of the best times of my life. Also, it's fun and challenging.
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

Thanks for the suggestion, BotB is definitely on my list, along with Riob and UU, Atroxian Realm... holy garg there are so many good mods I literally don't even know where to start. I haven't even finished any of Ocflore personally yet and I made a friggin preview video of the demo like 8 years ago ayyy lol.

I'm just slightly worried about my skill lol Playing through keen 4 (and two full zelda games for my channel) again is really reminding me how bad I am at video games lol

Anyways, I uploaded a few more over the last week or so, and created a playlist so it'd be easy to check up on: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _q1jX_I3rJ

I'll edit my first post to include it there as well.