Revival of Bliss

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Dave216
Vortininja

Revival of Bliss

Post by Dave216 »

After a lot of work and dedication, here is it: Commander Keen in...Revival of Bliss!

I've really poured my creativity into these mods, and I really hope you enjoy them!
Ever since I played TuiT, it has been somewhat of a dream of mine to make my own galaxy trilogy. This mod has taken a lot of inspiration from other galaxy mods, and I am glad this community has been very supportive of my work.

This mod features two playable campaigns, extras, and secret stuff. It's not just a cosmetic change between Craig and Keen; it features different levels, music, and minor gameplay changes. Feel free to report bugs or things you feel need altering.

Things I really am curious about:

•Did you enjoy this series?

•Any particular stuff I should improve in my future mods?

•Do you think Craig Canmore should appear and be part of future mods, or has he overstayed his welcome? I feel he has great chemistry with Keen and would make a funny sidekick on future adventures.

•Is Revival of Bliss a downgrade or an upgrade in terms of my work?

•Did you enjoy the musical score? I tried my best to make the best songs for this mod, and feedback would be much appreciated. I have no musical background, so I am pretty much just experimenting with different sounds and chord progressions.

•Did you like the graphics? Bernie is still the king when it comes to graphics in Keen mods, but I think I am improving.

•And finally, do you think the series ended well, or are you disappointed in the finale? (Please use a different text color if you feel like answering to avoid writing spoilers for other players.)

CREDITS:

Thanks to the talented patcher nwe74 for making all the custom patches I've requested for this mod.
Also, big thanks to nwe74 for revising patches I've used from KeenWiki.
Thanks to K1n9_Duk3 for additional patches and for fixing some patching and memory-related issues.
Thanks to DarkAle, Mobiethian and Filthy Casual for playtesting the game!

Download Revival of Bliss here.

Listen to game's soundtrack here.

A list of things to improve or fix in the following update:

•Balance the boss fight (maybe adding different health based on difficulty).

•Fixing the brown/missing tile in between Musical Grove and Marshalnds

•Adding an additional block tile in Ruria Peak's bottom half on the world map in Craig's campaign so he doesn't pop up

•Balance the enemy placement in some places

One last note: when reporting bugs, remember to mention which character you're playing as. Any kind of feedback is welcome!
I hope it lives up to expectations! Have fun everybody!
Last edited by Dave216 on Wed May 15, 2024 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
"I don’t care what model it was! No vacuum cleaner should give a human being a double polaroid!"
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Re: Revival of Bliss

Post by Mobiethian »

Excellent work, I am really pleased to see this released! :D
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

As Keen: I completed all the levels except Temple of Orb and Grand Spire (Boss level). In that first level I cannot even begin to figure out the clue I am stuck. Speaking of stuck, I cannot beat the boss whatsoever! It seems damn near impossible to me. After about 400+ deaths I gave up! The boss is even more ridiculously near impossible with Craig. If it wasn't impossible enough, with that green "goblin" that barely flitches when you shoot him and follows you everywhere you go on the bottom, I cannot see how this is even possible. I assume Allain can be beat since this was play tested before it was released. But since this final level is Fleexy hard, then it really pains me to have to say it but this is the first time in a long time where a level actually pyssed me off, to the point I'm not sure if I really wanna play the game at all anymore.

As Craig: I completed all the levels except Grand Spire. I already ranted about this in the previous paragraph so I won't go into it anymore here. As expected, the graphics, the enemies, the music, the story, the level design, and the puzzle elements are all top notch. With 35 new levels, technically 30 since Keen and Craig share 5 levels, the final mod in the Aurora trilogy far surpasses both of its predecessors.
Dave216 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 18:23 .........Things I really am curious about:

•Did you enjoy this series?
The series is great. Your trilogy is modding genius.
•Any particular stuff I should improve in my future mods?
Not too sure where you need to improve. I can't even imagine how you would evolve from here.
•Do you think Craig Canmore should appear and be part of future mods, or has he overstayed his welcome? I feel he has great chemistry with Keen and would make a funny sidekick on future adventures.
I could see him in another mod or two.
•Is Revival of Bliss a downgrade or an upgrade in terms of my work?
Definitely an upgrade, as I had said it surpasses the 1st two games.
•Did you enjoy the musical score? I tried my best to make the best songs for this mod, and feedback would be much appreciated. I have no musical background, so I am pretty much just experimenting with different sounds and chord progressions.
I really like the soundtrack you put together here. I think you can hold your own with the other talented composers in the community,
•Did you like the graphics? Bernie is still the king when it comes to graphics in Keen mods, but I think I am improving.
The graphics were insane like usual, even more so than the 1st two games.
•And finally, do you think the series ended well, or are you disappointed in the finale? (Please use a different text color if you feel like answering to avoid writing spoilers for other players.)
I honestly wish I could answer this question for you. Not sure if I will ever be able to. Excellent work Dave. It's truly a shame that the boss level almost completely ruins the game for me.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Dave216
Vortininja

Post by Dave216 »

Syllypryde wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 20:14 As Keen: I completed all the levels except Temple of Orb and Grand Spire (Boss level). In that first level I cannot even begin to figure out the clue I am stuck.

It's truly a shame that the boss level almost completely ruins the game for me.
I am sorry the boss was such a bitter experience for you. I did design it to be hard. Otherwise, I thought if it was too easy, it would have been very anticlimactic. Playtesters have finished the game, yes. It was noted that it was a difficult fight, but it was agreed that it should be, since it was the climax of the game. I didn't get the feeling that it was unfairly difficult. I figured since it's a final boss, it should provide a nice challenge. 

Of course, I could make him take fewer shots to defeat him in an update! It would be best if, depending on the difficulty, his health scale would vary, but that's out of my reach as a modder to do. I'll see how others play and if they have any suggestions on these.

Temple or Orb:

Temple of Orb is a puzzle level, and it's hinted at how to solve it by talking to the Yorp. You should also check your "inventory" in (F1) Help.
"I don’t care what model it was! No vacuum cleaner should give a human being a double polaroid!"
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Syllypryde wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 20:14 ......It's truly a shame that the boss level almost completely ruins the game for me.
I did say 'almost' didn't I? I'm still playing.
Dave216 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:17 I am sorry the boss was such a bitter experience for you. I did design it to be hard. Otherwise, I thought if it was too easy, it would have been very anticlimactic. Playtesters have finished the game, yes. It was noted that it was a difficult fight, but it was agreed that it should be, since it was the climax of the game. I didn't get the feeling that it was unfairly difficult. I figured since it's a final boss, it should provide a nice challenge. 

Of course, I could make him take fewer shots to defeat him in an update! It would be best if, depending on the difficulty, his health scale would vary, but that's out of my reach as a modder to do. I'll see how others play and if they have any suggestions on these.
I am sure there is a trick to it. There usually is when something seems uncharacteristically hard. It's just so far I just can't seem to figure out what it is.

Temple or Orb:.........
I did talk to the Yorp. Following 13 paths with 13 combinations, 6 symbols, 7 switches with 9 possible settings that have to be in a certain order, I have yet to figure out how to break it all down. I will just have to look at the help menu again and see what I missed.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Dave216
Vortininja

Post by Dave216 »

My strat for beating Al is to climb the stems as high and as quickly  as possible. And after I have a good distance, I fire 2-3 shots before I have to repeat the process. I also avoid falling all the way down since it is a gamble whether you will land on the enemy or not. Now, goplats are a tricky mistress in this level, since I use them to prepell myself further away from Al, but they can also kick you down if they touch you while you're climbing the stem.

I am guessing that this probably doesn't help you a whole lot, but that's pretty much how I do it.

The temple thing:
Not sure if you want the hint or not, so I'll label it as a spoiler.

If you followed the 'right path', all you have to do observe your surroundings and see how you can interact with them.

Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Dave216 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:18 My strat for beating Al is to climb the stems as high and as quickly  as possible. And after I have a good distance, I fire 2-3 shots before I have to repeat the process. I also avoid falling all the way down since it is a gamble whether you will land on the enemy or not. Now, goplats are a tricky mistress in this level, since I use them to prepell myself further away from Al, but they can also kick you down if they touch you while you're climbing the stem.

I am guessing that this probably doesn't help you a whole lot, but that's pretty much how I do it.

The temple thing:
Not sure if you want the hint or not, so I'll label it as a spoiler.

If you followed the 'right path', all you have to do observe your surroundings and see how you can interact with them.

I actually figured out Temple of Orb before you posted again:

I consulted the journal in Items in the F1 menu. What I was overlooking was the shapes above the the number and letter combinations on the switches. Once I put in the right switch combination according to the journal, I took my crude map of the 13 hallways (which I had drew up while I was trying to solve the puzzle the first few times) it led me to the hidden switch. The reason I immediately knew this was a hidden switch is because when I was playing with Craig I noticed in the BWB Craig couldn't jump onto the vertical goplat without his pogo. Once Lt. Barker fixed his pogo, I went back to the BWB and the goplat took me to a Yorp that told me there was a hidden switch between the sun and moon. This room was in The Great Wall . That hidden switch activated another vertical goplat that took me to the door of another room which had another orb. I am assuming what the orbs told Keen and Craig will play a crucial role in unlocking the Future.rar file.

I had already tried your way to defeat Allain many times before but it didn't work for me. I kept falling to the bottom. But you are right that I have to stay off the bottom, though I hit Allain with half the shots right at second one before I jumped up. Can't really do this with Craig because hits ammo doesn't go far enough to do this. I did notice that if you can get far enough away from Allain and shot him horizontally the hits make him move much slower. I will combine your way with the way I found to be the closest to success (but still utter failure) and I think that might finally help me win the game as Keen. I might need a different strategy with Craig.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Dave216
Vortininja

Post by Dave216 »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:39 Final boss topic
I've tried it myself today to see how well I would do against Al. I got him with Craig after 3 tries, and with Keen, I defeated him after 2 tries.

Now, I've obviously played this mod to death before releasing it, so there is no comparison there. I am also not saying you're wrong for thinking this boss is hard :) I also got a little lucky, and the green dude(I've just realized I forgot name the guy) didn't show up after I moved from one screen to another.

Here's a video if you or anyone else is really stuck. This video, obviously, is a massive spoiler for the endgame battle. It doesn't show the actual ending.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Dave216 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 14:32
Syllypryde wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:39 Final boss topic
I've tried it myself today to see how well I would do against Al. I got him with Craig after 3 tries, and with Keen, I defeated him after 2 tries.

Now, I've obviously played this mod to death before releasing it, so there is no comparison there. I am also not saying you're wrong for thinking this boss is hard :) I also got a little lucky, and the green dude(I've just realized I forgot name the guy) didn't show up after I moved from one screen to another.

Here's a video if you or anyone else is really stuck. This video, obviously, is a massive spoiler for the endgame battle. It doesn't show the actual ending.
After over 45-50 tries and dozens of missed jumps later I finally beat Allain with Keen. This is how I did it:

[Right at the very start of the level while still on the ground I fire rapidly at Allain until the middle horizontal goplat passes over my head going left, then IP onto the vine and jump onto the goplat. As it goes right I jump over Allain landing onto the middle vertical goplat going up and then IP up to the vine at the top right of the level. As Alain gets close I drop straight down onto the horizontal goplat that is now going left away from Allain and fire hysterically at him. As the goplat starts to move right again, I repeat what I did the first time and keep doing that until his ship is destroyed.

The ending:

Allain says many will die because he was defeated. Myah shows up with her rifle threatening to kill him for what he did to her family and her race. Keen and Craig talk her out of it and Lt. Barker shows up to take him to a cell. Allain has a hidden weapon and tries to shoot Myah but from behind Mortimer shoots him instead. He makes it clear to Keen that he didn't do it because they are friends he did it to make things even and he was humiliated not only by being captured by the "idiot" Allain but also by being saved by the "idiot" Craig. Mortimer thinks he's even more stupid when Craig asks him the question he keeps asking Keen, "Why are aliens speaking English?" Mortimer leaves and the friends (Keen, Craig, Myah, Lt. Barker, Princess Lindsay, the Oracle Janitor, and Spot) reminisce about this last adventure and despite being victorious many will still die. Craig wonders why they bother.

The ending says to find out about the future it says to combine 2 resonated words as the password, based on the different perspectives of Keen and Craig (the orb each of them found). I haven't done this yet. I will tomorrow.

I plan to replay the game as Craig and beat Allain again before I unlock the future. Once I do that I will start my normal run, since it is common knowledge by most people in the community that I start on easy first and then work up to hard. Once hard is beat I may or may not play it on hard again, depending on how hard it really was. Once I go to normal I never play easy mode again .........usually.

I also plan to check out Szemi's new Keen Dreams Gold release soon. We'll see how I like it compared to Celick's Keen Dreams Plus.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Dave216
Vortininja

Post by Dave216 »

I am working with K1n9_Duk3 on an update for Revival of Bliss.

It will feature many quality of life improvements, including enemy placement balancing, boss difficulty balancing, fixing Typos, fixing some level design errors, and so much more.

There is also some really neat stuff he implemented that will improve the overall experience.
I will list all the changes as I release the next update.

Stay tuned!