[WIP] Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (Demo now available)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
namida
Vortininja

Re: [WIP] Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (Demo now available)

Post by namida »

A question to people who've played the demo; what do and don't you like in the level design? Are there any particular levels you liked or disliked?
Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined - a reimagining of Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

I just tried the demo 2 for a few minutes and it's awesome so far :)

A few gripes I had:
  • No info what keys are defined, can't use the pogo or blaster
  • Screen scrolling feels strange and different from the original, the camera movement is distracting
  • Cheats anyone? Implementing the original ones from Galaxy might be a good idea :)
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

You have to obtain the pogo and blaster before you can use them, just like in Keen 1. I'll edit these into the first post (and maybe add a readme to the download) later, but controls are (keyboard / gamepad respectively; gamepad controls listed here are for Xbox-compatible controllers):

Arrow keys / Dpad or left stick - Move
Ctrl / A - Jump, or swim faster
Alt / B - Pogo
Space / X - Shoot
Shift / Y - Throw grappling hook (not available in demo without cheating)
Enter / Start - Open minimap (not available in demo without cheating)
Esc / Back - Pause (you can exit a level from the pause menu)
Any action button - Enter level, when on the world map

I intend to eventually make these customizable. All the back end code to support this is there; I just need to actually make the options menu (and code to save / load the custom settings).

A few people have commented that the camera movement feels weird. I'll consider some changes. (I don't want to go as far as having options for different behavior, as this would mean that certian enemies might become more / less difficult to avoid due to differences in how far you have to move before they're off-screen)

You can use the cheats by running the game with the "-c" command line parameter. Not all of the ones from Galaxy are there (in particular No Clipping is not) but many are, and there's a couple of new ones. All but one that work in the demo are F10 + a letter; the exception is "save map image" which is F9+M. (I've generally used F10 for cheats an end user might like to play with, and F9 for cheats that are only useful when creating content; most F9 cheats are removed in the demo. Save map image was on the borderline of which key it should fall under, so I did leave it in the demo.) Be warned that trying to access content not meant to be accessible in the demo may lead to crashes - in some cases (Gnosticenes in particular) this would be triggered by how many you save rather than which specific ones.
Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined - a reimagining of Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

I put together some code for a different camera behavior that's more similar to that of the official games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ei_Cuc5aQ0
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

That new camera is a massive improvement. I have to confess the old camera was giving me a bit of motion sickness. Nice work :)
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

I totally agree, the new camera movement is utterly perfect. Thanks so much for improving this, and also thanks for the information given, that will help :) Some note about the pogo and neural stunner somewhere would be cool though as I was expecting to have both at the beginning because I already did in Goodbye Galaxy.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

I uploaded a new version of the demo. The only change from the previous demo is that it has the new camera code. Otherwise it's identical (including that save data will carry over).
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Unfortunately, development on this is going to be on hold for a while. The battery on my PC crapped out and it refuses to run without one. I don't want to resort to replacing the whole thing just yet. If it ends up taking too long to sort out I'll drag my old one out and set it up, but in the meantime, work is on hold.

No data has been lost. Even in the worst case scenario for my existing PC, everything is backed up. I just don't have a means of further work on it for now.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh damn, I hope you can resort this quickly, best of luck as I am looking forward to this so much.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Managed to get a temporary dev environment set up. I've now implemented customizable controls (or more specifically, the menu for configuring them + the loading / saving of them; as the actual behind-the-scenes support for them was already there since day one).
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Although progress hasn't been as fast lately, it's still coming along. I've now completed all the Shadowlands levels, as well as all the Fribbulus Xax levels except the secret one. Omegamatic is about half complete.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

These are good news - can’t wait to play full game
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Some enemies are implemented, but I haven't ended up using them at all (and am not likely to do so in the remaining levels), for example Blorbs and Koraths. Of course, there's no point culling them - may as well leave them in so that if anyone decides to make their own content using this as a base (as I do intend to open source it eventually), they're there.

The only enemy from K4-6 that I specifically didn't implement is the Treasure Eater. Aside from that, there's one other one that works considerably differently from how it does in the official games (I'll leave this as a surprise to find when you play the game). Beyond that, they're all there.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Been a bit slow lately - just haven't been in the level making mood often enough - but still coming along. The last Fribbulus Xax level is about half complete now. (EDIT: Complete now, though still needs testing.)
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Getting very close now. Only one level left to make; it does need some features unique to that level to be coded.

Aside from that... what else is remaining? Let's see...

- Ending sequence.
- A proper throwing animation for the grappling hook.
- Some levels need more decorating.
- More stuff in the options menu. Currently all you can configure is the controls. I'd like to add sound and music volume, fullscreen, window size if non-fullscreen, etc.

And beyond that... testing! I need to do a full playthrough myself as an initial test - I've tested most levels in isolation, and the remaining levels I've tested most parts of in (further) isolation, often with infinite lives enabled (and thus, just a focus on "is this possible and does it work" than whether it's appropriate difficulty), but I'd rather have the game near-complete before I attempt a full playthrough, no-cheats test.

Then once that's over, I'll likely see if a few people are keen to help with pre-release testing.