[WIP] Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (Demo now available)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
namida
Vortininja

Re: [WIP] Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined (Demo now available)

Post by namida »

Making nice progress on the last level - unlike all the others which were just a matter of "make the damn level", there was some more coding needed for this one, most (not all) of which is now complete. It crossed my mind recently that a particular idea from Oddworld would work very nicely for the QED level, so I've been working on integrating that into it. (Those who are familiar with both Keen 5 and Oddworld can probably guess what idea I'm talking about. You'll have to wait for release to see if you were right though.) Not the first time I've taken inspiration from that - although it's hardly a concept unique to Oddworld, I did specifically have Oddworld (and the Paramonian / Scrabanian temples in particular) in mind when I used the "hub area that connects to a few independent mini-levels" concept in a couple of levels, including one that's playable in the demo.
Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined - a reimagining of Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Looks promising:)
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

All 27 levels are now pretty much complete! Some of them do need further work on the cosmetic aspects, and a lot of them need more testing, but it's a big milestone nonetheless.

While the inbetween ones were a bit all over the place with regards to order (I just made whatever I felt like making), I did indeed make the game's first level (if you don't count world maps / BWB megarocket) first and its last level last.

Aside from that, I still need to make an ending sequence, I still need to add a few things to the options menu, and there's a few graphics (most notably a title screen) that still need designing. But we're getting VERY close now!

EDIT: Well, options menu stuff is all done now. :D
Commander Keen: Galaxy Reimagined - a reimagining of Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

I'm wondering - since this just isn't really the sort of thing I'm great with myself - if anyone would like to help me out with creating a title screen.

There's also a sprite edit I need done that I don't think I can do myself (at least, not with it looking decent). I can't say much more than that without spoiling something I don't want to spoil, but if anyone feels like helping out with a bit of sprite work - it's a very small amount - let me know.

EDIT: I also need a throwing animation for Keen, but I might be able to make this one myself.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

I got the throwing sprite done. I took the Dreams one, recolored them, copy pasted the shoes from Galaxy, and made a few minor tweaks.

Still need to do that other sprite, but I'm gonna at least have a go at doing it myself. Would still be keen for someone who'd like to help with a title screen though.

It's also nearly time to start beta testing, so anyone who'd be keen on helping with that, let me know. Probably still a couple of weeks before any betas will be sent out, but yeah. Getting very close! (One person already expressed interest on Discord, but I would quite like to have multiple testers - in my experience in the Lemmings scene I've found it's very common for one tester to find something another missed, etc.)
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

You're doing great! I am pleased to see the progress here.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

I'm about half way through my own full game test run, after which I'll be looking to send a copy to beta testers.

I also still would like some help with a title screen. I mean, I could leave the placeholder there, but it's not ideal. :p This doesn't have to happen before beta testing can begin, though.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Another new gameplay video: https://youtu.be/dvWX7nHTqIA
Mobiethian
Vortininja

Post by Mobiethian »

Very nice, I must say. Keep up that great work, namida!
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very nice video :) One thing: You should consider a different pain sound and not reusing the drop-off sound.

Maybe Bio Menace has a good alternative sound that might fit well to the Keen sound set.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Yeah, that is something I need to alter. I also considered using part of the death sound, or possibly a death sound from a different Galaxy game (if they aren't identical). Haven't looked too closely at the options yet though.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

The first beta version is ready to be shared with testers. If you're interested in testing, drop me a PM, reply on here, or let me know in Discord.

I expect people who are actually willing to help *test*. To be clear, what I mean here isn't that I'm setting expectations around how much testers will play; just that I expect a bit of feedback (and bug reports, if any) from them.
namida
Vortininja

Post by namida »

Originally, I designed this game with just one difficulty setting. Very close to the end of development, I decided to add difficulty settings after all.

The "as the creator intended" setting is Normal. If that isn't quite right for you, no worries; for those who want something a bit simpler, the Easy option exists - this will still be no pushover, especially in the later levels. I don't recommend playing Hard, but it'll be there if you really want it.

The most obvious change between difficulties is lives and ammo. I mentioned that you start each level with 5 of each. On Easy you get 6 instead, while on Hard you only get 4. And, like in the official games, some enemies will only appear on higher difficulties. Sometimes the result will be that *different* enemies appear; a particularly common case is that a Bloog on Normal might become a Blooguard on Hard.

Many enemies also have subtle changes to their behavior on different difficulties. The most obvious case is that Berkeloids don't throw fireballs on Easy. Another one is that enemies that can only be temporarily stunned, remain so for a little bit longer on Easy.