Keen Dreams Crash

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
lestagio
Grunt

Keen Dreams Crash

Post by lestagio »

Hello PCKF!
I just decided to play through Keen Dreams again, and booted up my shareware copy. I was playing and got to nearly the end of Castle Tuberia, and everything was fine. However, the game suddenly froze completely.
Upon checking the Dosbox Status Window, I am greeted to many errors. They all say "ILLEGAL READ TO [insert code here], CS:IP" or "ILLEGAL WRITE TO [insert code here], CS:IP."
The save keeps doing this no matter how many times I reload. When I make any inputs in the game, it crashes.
I loaded the save into a different copy of Keen Dreams, and the same thing happens. I tried loading the game in Dosbox X and the game crashes, and I have tried all different kinds of cycles.

Has anyone else seen this error before? Do you think the save is corrupted? I just want to know if this can be fixed.
"We'll never survive the Caves of Oblivion..."
"Nonsense! You're just saying that because no one ever has!"
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen Dreams Crash

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Your saved game probably got corrupted at some point. Keen Dreams has a few bugs in its load/save code and in the title screen loading/drawing code that might have caused some memory corruption.

This load/save bug may corrupt your saved game if you save the game while an enemy is in the process of turning from a flower back into its original form (the smoke is present) or if it was saved while Keen was sleeping (the Zzz sprite is present). The best way to avoid this is to not save under these circumstances. The corruption happens when loading the game.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
lestagio
Grunt

Re: Keen Dreams Crash

Post by lestagio »

Yep. Whenever I load the save, I see the smoke present for a second, and then the game crashes.
I managed to recreate the exact issue early in the game by saving while a flower changed back into whatever it was originally, and my save instantly corrupted. >: >:
It did take me a few tries to trigger it. Looks like I just got unlucky when I accidentally corrupted my save!
Thank you for letting me know that this is one of the main reasons as to why this is caused!
"We'll never survive the Caves of Oblivion..."
"Nonsense! You're just saying that because no one ever has!"