KeenWiki: Unresolved issues and missing downloads

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: KeenWiki: Unresolved issues and missing downloads

Post by Quillax »

The following downloads have now been added/updated/mirrored on Keen Wiki (and thus removed from the list on the original post):
  • Captain Rixot: Lost on Enceladus - v.2.1
  • CKGBA - v.1.2.3
  • CloneKeen - v8.4
  • Episode 58 - The Ruin of Roib - unofficial bug fix v.3.2
  • GalaxyView - v.1.9
  • Keen 1 Randomiser - v.1.1
  • Keen Is At It Again! - v.1.1
  • Levelderp
  • Planet Cloudius IX - v.1.3.0
  • uGrab - beta v.1.013
  • VorticonView - v.1.6
Additionally, the CGA composite mods have their downloads fixed.

Thanks to Nisaba for taking care of all this! What a way to celebrate Keen Day! :D

---

I'm thinking that maybe the CKGBA games could each have their own link/page, since that's how the CGA composite mods were handled. It would also be easier when a fangame pictorial list (similar to, say, the one for Keen 1 mods) gets made, since only one download link is shown for each entry.

Speaking of pictorial lists, I just created source code mods. I figured that it would preferable to do that rather than re-classify them as fangames. It turns out that making a mod appear in more than one pictorial list is surprisingly easy! Just a category to the mod page!
Quillax wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:27 The Dopefish Rescue games (fangames) got their downloads mixed up. Right now, each game has the correct download, but the latter has the wrong name. For reference, the original Dopefish Rescue's download should have a file called "DfshResQ.bas" and is v1.1, while Dopefish Rescue II's should have a file named "dfsresq2.bas" and is v1.0.
Nisaba wrote:not exactly sure what you mean
Since you didn't understand what I'm talking about, Nisaba, let's try this step-by-step tutorial:
  1. Go to List of fangames.
  2. Click on the link for Dopefish Rescue.
  3. Observe that the .zip file is named f.justin.dope_fish_rescue_II_v1.0.1998-01-22.zip, despite having files for Dopefish Rescue.
  4. Click on the link for Dopefish Rescue II.
  5. Observe that the .zip file is named f.justin.dope_fish_rescue_I_v1.1.1998-02-12.zip, despite having files for Dopefish Rescue II.
  6. Observe that both .zip files have the correct release date, while the name and version number is swapped.
  7. Rename f.justin.dope_fish_rescue_II_v1.0.1998-01-22.zip to f.justin.dope_fish_rescue_v1.1.1998-01-22.zip.
  8. Rename f.justin.dope_fish_rescue_I_v1.1.1998-02-12.zip to f.justin.dope_fish_rescue_II_v1.0.1998-02-12.zip.
  9. Problem solved! :)
Hope this helps! (If you're wondering why I removed the Roman numeral from the original Dopefish Rescue, it's because it doesn't have one in the READEME file nor in-game.)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

The source code mods pictorial list is long overdue, thanks for adding it! Should Netkeen also be filed under that?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Fixed the Rescue Dopefish bug and ignored your suggestion for roman numbering for no apparent reason. Ooops. Thinking about it, it comes to mind that it is quite common to add numbering retrospectively after a single title becomes a series (see for e.g. the StarWars movie franchise). So I think it's ok to leave it that way. Pls let me know if you are ok with this decision as well.
out now (link) : Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

RESOLVED:
  • Unnamed Actors - We finally figured out a way to handle unnamed actors. If you leave the name field blank, then the actor will be labelled as Unnamed actor by default.
NEW ISSUES: NEW DOWNLOADS: NEW WIKI ADDITIONS: (since I'm not sure where else to say this)
  • There is now a whole series of lists of mod replacements, with each list corresponding to a particular creature (e.g. see List of Yorp replacements). In each entry, the mod of origin is listed. Malvineous was able to make it so that in the mod pages, each creature entry has a link to its respective list of replacements for the original creature (e.g. see Episode X). Though, I wish that there would be no links if the page doesn't exist (e.g. see The Sqeek Battle, but I'm not sure if that's possible with the limitations of this Semantic MediaWiki stuff.
  • The list of fangames now has a pictorial equivalent! Bear in mind that many fangames are still missing (about 82) since they don't have articles yet even to this day, but that's understandable considering how little attention the fangames section gets. Thanks to Malvineous for giving me the instructions; it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! While making this list, fangames have unintentionally been added to the pictorial lists in user pages (e.g. see Dr. Colossus' page).
  • I got the mod level templates working with fangame levels, albeit in a slightly hacky way. In order for a level to be classified as a fangame level, you just add in "| IsFangame = Yes" to the LevelImage template. Very few fangames have the new level list implemented so far, such as Commander Keen - Marooned on Mars (Galaxy Style).
I appreciate any input and feedback on the new wiki additions!
Pandakeen wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:25 The source code mods pictorial list is long overdue, thanks for adding it! Should Netkeen also be filed under that?
I think NetKeen would fit well under the source code mod label. I also wouldn't mind if the NetKeen levelpacks had their own KeenWiki articles (filed as source code mods), but I'm not sure what others would think about that. I mean, depending on how you take it, Crisis Earth and the Bio Menace games could be considered source code mods since they're based on the Galaxy engine.
Nisaba wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:32 Fixed the Rescue Dopefish bug and ignored your suggestion for roman numbering for no apparent reason. Ooops. Thinking about it, it comes to mind that it is quite common to add numbering retrospectively after a single title becomes a series (see for e.g. the StarWars movie franchise). So I think it's ok to leave it that way. Pls let me know if you are ok with this decision as well.
Eh, I don't usually see titles add a number after becoming a series. I know you brought up Star Wars, but the original Super Mario Bros. is still called that, with no number. The original Back to the Future is also still called just that, despite having sequels. Also, KeenWiki has some mods that have no number but yet would later become part of a series, such as Harvey's Mod and Ally's Mod. If I ever create an article for Dopefish Rescue, I'll probably leave out the number.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Quillax wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 21:07 RESOLVED:
  • Unnamed Actors - We finally figured out a way to handle unnamed actors. If you leave the name field blank, then the actor will be labelled as Unnamed actor by default.
Splendid! simple, yet effective.

Quillax wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 21:07 NEW DOWNLOADS:
Done: https://files.shikadi.net/keenwiki/tool ... -01-10.zip

ALSO MISSING:
out now (link) : Image
Pandakeen
Vortininja

Post by Pandakeen »

I think KeenWiki should credit the level designers on level pages for cases they aren't designed by the primary author of the mod. It already does this for some community projects, like Insalevs, but not others. I'm mostly thinking about Keen 9 here. I'll have to ask Ceilick for a list of who made which levels.