Episode Smile!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

matonen wrote:Dont rush, though.
Have no fear. :lol
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:Keen 3. :disguised I have ideas I want to do but which didn't fit in AND (although most of them I didn't yet even think about at the time). But anyway, even if the platform is the same, this will have nothing in common with AND.
Sounds good. Despite what I have said about your previous mods, I still think they were put together well. You did a great job on them. I will definitely give your new mod a serious play once it is done. Take care, dude!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Beating A New Dope has been a rather recent accomplishment for me. My strategy was to waste my lives collecting as much IQ as possible, because many of the levels were so damn hard. I think I did beat more than half though :)

As I recall, i managed to beat 3 levels in episode smile before going insane. Hope to get back to that when I've got time.
The rest of the mod is one of the fairest I've ever played. Every time I died it was my own fault.
I'm kind of confused as to what this means; Isn't it the players fault every time they die?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I don't think so.
Well technically, yes, but sometimes life and death is based purely on luck. That is mainly involving monsters, because they don't move in a regular manner, so you can't forsee what they'll do next. In some mods (including my own i know), sometimes a monster just drops on you leaving you no chance to survive.
Another unfair death, you can't see coming is a blind drop with hazards, in Smile every drop you could either see before, or have a hint where to steer.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:.........I'm kind of confused as to what this means; Isn't it the players fault every time they die?
I think he was referring to making stupid mistakes. It is one thing when you die because a monster makes an unexpected move or you die because you are not exactly sure what to do to get through the level and you are making the wrong choices. It is a different story when you do things like:

1 ) Moving too close to a monster and forgetting to shoot him
2 ) Attempting to make a high jump and forgetting to pull out the pogo stick
3 ) Attempting to jump and hitting the wrong key
4 ) Getting in front of a monster that shoots at you and forgetting to dodge his shots
5 ) Dealling with one monster and forgetting you have another one right behind you
6 ) Missing jumps that are normally easy and falling down on top of hazards or monsters
7 ) Dying repeatedly in places you don't usually die in
8 ) Making a wrong move and falling off cliffs, platforms, etc.
9 ) Attempting to shoot a monster with two-button firing and only hitting one button
10 ) Screwing up the Impossible Pogo Strick
11 ) etc

Some games are hard enough as they are without stupid mistakes to make things even harder!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:Damn, I'm garging excited! :D I've done an all new Keen sprite today, and usually I struggle months and months with the smallest of sprites. :crazy And I've made some new patches I need, and worked on the GUI parts too! Great day. This if anything gives me confidence A New Dope wasn't my last mod. :dopekeen
I am just letting you know that I have changed my mind about your mods being nearly impossible and no fun. Completing levels can make the frustration all worth it. I have only been able to beat the first level in Episode Smile, but I now have 9 levels of A New Dope complete (after seeing the "game over" screen 30-50 times!) Right now my score is 116,300 with a 268 IQ. I have played all the levels. The remaining levels are levels I am stuck on, but I am confident that with time, effort, patience, and another 30-50 "game over" screens, I will eventually beat A New Dope. Episode Smile is another story!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

hehee i have completed 3 levels of episode smile :p
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

Episode Smile...? Get a load of Fleexy's mods

--HoboRed
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I would but there hasn't been released much yet.
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

They are downright impossible even Fleexy sucks at his own mod! :dead2
RIP Eduard Khil
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

HoboRed wrote:They are downright impossible even Fleexy sucks at his own mod! :dead2
Oh, so you think my levels are easy?! :p Tell me when you win this!

It's called "The Key Guard". The inaccesible keys are telling you what keys you need to exit that section. MUAHAHAHA! :mortlol
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I just beat the keyguard. Challenging to say the least. But I find Vorticons a bit unfair most of the time.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

tulip wrote:I just beat the keyguard. Challenging to say the least. But I find Vorticons a bit unfair most of the time.
Jump carefully/shoot them and it'll be no problem. :)

EDIT: Did you :dead2 a lot?