Spriting Contest

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Maruyama
Grunt

Spriting Contest

Post by Maruyama »

Attention all custom spriters. For this contest, the goal is to take characters from other games and make custom sprites of them in the "Goodbye, Galaxy" style. As you can see, I have already done Maruyama from Dynamite Headdy for my avatar. Open up MS Paint and see how well you can replicate the 16-BIT style of Keen.

Here is my first submission. He's blue, he's got an attitude, he's the fastest thing alive, he's Sonic the Hedgehog.

Why destroy the Death Egg and save the world when you can destroy the Omegamatic and save the galaxy?

PS: I might edit some of my sprites, but only by a few pixels.
Last edited by Maruyama on Sat May 30, 2009 15:37, edited 4 times in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

This is cool. :) That's a good Sonic sprite there. I'll probably make a couple at some point...I think I know what I'll be spriting.
Maruyama
Grunt

Post by Maruyama »

Here's my second submission. He's a fighting robot created in the year 20XX. They call him the Blue Bomber.

Mega Man! Who needs that Neural Stunner when you got the Mega Buster.
Last edited by Maruyama on Sat May 30, 2009 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Nice Megaman. :D Here's my first submission...the Lost Soul from Doom.

(Too lazy to apply transparency... :foot )
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Here's my submission...

Mario and Luigi based off the Keen sprite. I might make a more creative sprite later. 8)
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

Maruyama
Grunt

Post by Maruyama »

StupidBunny: That... is amazing. I am really impressed at how well you drew that fire. Calling all bets, Maruyama's Tail Hanger verses Lost Soul. Whoever wins, Keen loses.

Bonevelous: Mamma mia. :o
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Maruyama wrote:Bonevelous: Mamma mia. :o
What do you mean by that? :lol :o Note: I know "mamma mia" basically translates into "my mommy." :crazy :dopekeen

Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

It's a stereotypical Italian expression that probably isn't even an Italian expression at all because Hollywood uses it so much for Italian characters. Translated, according to Hollywood, it means: "oh, my". Usually played for comedic effect.
Maruyama
Grunt

Post by Maruyama »

Haven't any of you played Super Mario 64... or any game that is not made by id Software?
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Maruyama wrote:Haven't any of you played Super Mario 64?
I've played Super Mario 64 on an emulator before I deleted all my emulators and ROMs, and I've played it on the Wii Virtual Console. I think I've at least tryed the original cartridge as well (my cousin gave me his spare N64, a few games, a controller, and the other manditory equipment for a N64; he has another one for himself.) I just think maybe I did something odd or wrong to make you say this:
Earlier, you wrote:Bonevelous: Mamma mia. :o
Specially with the :o at the end. :confused
Maruyama wrote:]Haven't any of you played any other game that is not made by id Software?
I've played other games that are not id software. Jill of the Jungle by Epic, Klonoa by Namco, Zack and Wiki by Camcom tons of sega Genisis games on those Sega Game collections (99% sure id never made any gens games), just a few examples. :)

Interestingly enough, I think Commander Keen is like the only id software game I've ever played, or at least the only one I've ever played that I either liked or at least cared for. I know I wouldn't like Wolfenstein or Doom. :dead

StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm glad you liked the Lost Soul there. :) Here's another submission...in keeping with the Doom theme, this one is a cacodemon. I'm not entirely satisfied with it, and I'm sure I got some of the colors wrong due to colorblindness/lack of talent, but whatever.

And I knew what you meant by the Mamma Mia thing, since that's one of Mario's catchphrases and all. :) Like with Luigi and "I hope she made lotsa spaghetti!" or "That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!"
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I recognized it the second I saw it, excellent work StupidBunny, why don't you make a Doom-themed Keen mod?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

These are wonderful!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I really like that Lost Soul, nice job StupidBunny. And I'm with Tulip, Doom themed keen mod would be cool :)
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

At the end of the mod you have to shoot a hanging Doom Marine.