Commander Keen 2.5D: The Quest for Spot's Collar

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I wrote the music myself :dopefish
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

then i wil be happy i have almost never sound on :dopekeen
nothing usefull here
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I told you I'd release this either friday or monday, so logically I decided to give it to you on saturday :dead2

I tried uploading it to Idgames but apparently I have to wait until midnight for people to get off the server and let me upload anything. But since you guys are so special, you get the priveledge of waiting to download it from a crappy file sharing site. Enjoy! :dopekeen

http://rapidshare.com/files/239043823/CK25Da.zip.html

The text file included explains everything you need to know about how to run it and what to do. I'm far too lazy to copy and paste what I already wrote here :p I think only 10 people can download it before it gets deleted. There's less than 11 of you, right? :o
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Sat May 30, 2009 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Send it to me and I'll upload it. Wait, I promised not to share my mail address. Upload it and tell people that only I can download it from there until I get it up. :P

Hey, I accidentally discovered a new textemoticon: :}

That is new, isn't it? :o
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

This looks really promising! Keep up the work on it!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

_mr_m_ wrote:This looks really promising! Keep up the work on it!
:P
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

In my latest playthrough of it I noticed a small map error. I fixed it but it still exists on the file in rapidshare now :o

Also the end game sequence still features killing every doom II creature. You should see the hilarity that ensues when you kill Keen at the end :lol

Fleexy if you PM me your email I will send you the latest and greatest version.

EDIT: K, Fleexy just PM'd me with This Link. A much better place to get it while waiting until I can finally archive it ;)

EDIT 2: I uploaded the (hopefully final) alpha with the missing texture fixed here: http://www.wadhost.fathax.com/files/CK25Da.zip

I also successfully uploaded it to the idgames archives so that one is pending for review =)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well, this is interesting, interesting indeed. I am officially amazed!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Awesome, although it took me a while to get it running (I'm a Doom n00b).
I love the graphics.
I don't know about the doom engine, but when you go into chase cam, there's still the helmet view, that's a bit strange, but this may not be possible to solve, I don't know.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I too am Doom noob, nevery played it before and it took me a good part of an hour just to figure out how to load this, and another fifteen minutes to figure out how to get the controls into a comfortable configuration. Initially I wasn't using the mouse at all :bloody

But man, that was AWESOME. I really enjoyed it, totally worth the frustration over trying to get it to work :D I really like that red spinny alien, the one in your avatar, very cool design. The blue guy was okay, the green guy didn't move...And those damn plant monster things killed me A LOT :dead2 but they are cool ;)

My only suggestion is to make the gun smaller; it blocks a lot of the view as it is.

Looking forward to seeing your project progress, this was a lot of fun.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

tulip wrote:I don't know about the doom engine, but when you go into chase cam, there's still the helmet view, that's a bit strange, but this may not be possible to solve, I don't know.
Actually you can remove it, but it's a bit of an extra step that I unfortunately couldn't find a more automatic way of doing it. Change the display mode to Fullscreen. This gets rid of the helmet and still displays your score and ammo (even if you're not in chase mode :dopefish )
Ceilick wrote: the green guy didn't move...
Did you try pressing the use key in front of him? :disguised
Ceilick wrote:My only suggestion is to make the gun smaller; it blocks a lot of the view as it is.
This isn't the first time I've seen this complaint. I've tried fiddling around with the gun's position to get the aiming just right and at the moment the crosshair is still slightly out of synch with the aim. Maybe I'll set the offsets to lower the gun a bit and raise the crosshair on the graphic to be accurate (or if nobody cares about it I'll just get rid of the crosshair)

I was thinking of trying a sort of health system where you grab different helmets to bring up you hit points or something... but I'm afraid that it wouldn't be keenish enough :yorp
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'm okay with a little health, say an extra helmet gives you one health point, I think the game would still have a keenish feel. As long as the max is not more than something like 3 health points.

On the other hand you could just add an ankh, that gives invulnerability for a few seconds.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I did press that key, but he just kind of stood there staring at me, I shot him a few times and he didnt do anything so I was like "whatever, dude" and left him behind :p

To clarify what i meant with the gun; it's just too fat, it's big enough for enemies to hide behind ;)

I think between what you said and Tulip said is the way to go for a health system: greab a helmet to gain a health point, but no more than about three health points. Also the health points could be rare so that most of the time keen has to travel with one health point anyway.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

OK, may I take down my mirror? The thing takes up like 3/4 of my space, y'know. >:
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Yeah sure take it down. Ceilick you didn't get to see the conversation between Keen and Skeetzblar when you pressed use on him? :confused What build of GZDoom are you using? This worries me cuz I think I may be the only person who can see it. The dialogue with him uses a key input sensing thing that I think only development versions of GZDOOM have, and it uses functions from an include file ("dialogs.acs") that I thought was in keendata.pk3. Does it say anything like "ACS_Script02 not found" when you try to talk to him? Is anybody else able to talk to him?