It's time to replace these emoticons

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

It's time to replace these emoticons

Post by Allstories »

Seriously, they could not be any less aesthetically pleasing. Lets get some ideas rolling. Here's some examples I made in like 10 minutes:

Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I quite like the existing ones. Keen is an oldschool game, and oldschool emoticons suit the place nicely. IMKO, anyway. :foot
Yorpy
Vorticon Elder

Post by Yorpy »

yah I like the old ones too. I don't really see a need to change them.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

I quit using emoticons anyway but I know many people don't like them. I think this is where a poll comes in handy. I would certainly vote Allstories new creations over the old ones.
Aaaah, not the bees!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Don't mean to discount your 10 minutes, Allstories :p but I like the old ones, and I think we should keep them. Like Spleen said, oldschool emoticons for an oldschool game.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I tend to agree with Spleen. I really like these current ones, and they're very clear as well, the expressions being shown on a white face.

I do like that new dopekeen one, however. :dopekeen But not as much as the old one!
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

It would be nice if they were the same height as the text though, otherwise you get an extra gap between the lines if you have a smiley in the middle of a block of text.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

well as for me, i like the existing 1s very much too. new, improved graphics just don't have the original feeling of Keen...kinda like Star Wars episodes I - III.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

MortimerInBlack wrote:well as for me, i like the existing 1s very much too. new, improved graphics just don't have the original feeling of Keen...kinda like Star Wars episodes I - III.
Bad comparison.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

^^; if u say so, but i thought those episodes were very unlike the original star wars; if Lucas had made them with limited technology so that it looked like the original, that would have been way cooler (and original in its own way), imo. that's y i made the comparison.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

MortimerInBlack wrote:^^; if u say so, but i thought those episodes were very unlike the original star wars; if Lucas had made them with limited technology so that it looked like the original, that would have been way cooler (and original in its own way), imo. that's y i made the comparison.
Well no, didn't you know that the new trilogy took place in a very different time and society?
Aaaah, not the bees!
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Re: It's time to replace these emoticons

Post by Shadow Master »

BTW,
Allstories wrote:Seriously, they could not be any less aesthetically pleasing. Lets get some ideas rolling. Here's some examples I made in like 10 minutes:

I love'em.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I just suggested in the logo thread that there could be an option in our profiles to choose which logo we see. Maybe that could apply here, too? How hard would it be to do something like that? I don't want to force anyone to go that much out of their way, but I think it'd be cool.

But if I had to choose, I'd choose the old ones. Or, at least, not Allstories' ones. I just don't like the style of those too much.
Actually, I've never really liked any fanmade Keen sprites that used more than 16 colors (except Z-1's, maybe).
KeenCommander
Grunt

Post by KeenCommander »

I definitely like the old ones better. Some fangames have done a nice job of updating the Keen graphic style, but ultimately i think we should stick with the old-school style since that's the way the official games were, and they just look cooler. The idea of giving people a choice of styles isn't bad, but it seems like a lot of extra work for something of fairly minor importance.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

At first I didn't like the emoticons at all, but I kinda learned to like them... I was always annoyed by the high-res faces on the low-res head, though.