Keen 8: Dead in the Desert

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Any information on it can be found in this thread where I mentioned it.
:lol ...for massive damage.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

kinget wrote:Yeah you're right. After all, this is nonprofitable.
But hey, I would gladely salute properly and transfer some cash to our king via paypal
As much as I suck up to Ceilick, I would never consider him "my king." As a matter of fact, I do not really know him that well at all. From his posts he seems like a nice guy and it is no secret he is my favorite modder right now. Call me a cheapo, but I have no intention of throwing any money his way! This is nonprofit after all. Even though a mod is a completely different game, it is still based on the work done by Tom Hall and John Romero. It would be copyright infringement for any modder to make money off of their work. A vast majority of the Keen Community is more than aware of this fact, so I am going to leave it at that and move on.

Like everyone else on this forum, I would like to see and play part 3 of the unofficial TUIT trilogy Ceilick has created. But I also do not want to put undue pressure on the man to complete it either. We all have lives outside of this forum. As much as we all love Commander Keen, I would think that what goes on in our lives and in the real world takes precedence over video games. Me personally, I am out of work right now. As much as I would like to sit around and play Commander Keen all day, I think finding a job is more important. Working or not, I would still find time for Keen.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

A lot of beta testing had been done lately (a lot of bugs fixed), but it seems that Keen 6 modding reveal some interesting things. Especially with the teleports behaving which may eventually lead in changing the world map (and therefore slowing down a bit the whole process).
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Giving money to a modder is like beggin Id for a cease-and-desist.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Iv4n's correct; I was speaking with Levellass about it last night; Keen 4-6 modding is full of 'invisible walls' that can really through modders for a loop. Many of them have to do with placing sprites over animating tiles (which usually cancels the sprite for whatever reason), having teleporters too far away from each other (crashes, freezes, or does other whacky things), and we weren't through some serious save/load game problems (luckily I figured out the path behind it on my second guess! Work around is soon to be tested).

All this said, release should still be a go for this month, I've been working at ironing out all the problems and am preparing beta 5 (5!) for testing.
Quote:
Any information on it can be found in this thread where I mentioned it.
:lol ...for massive damage.
:O :lol
As much as I suck up to Ceilick, I would never consider him "my king."
My problem was mostly that it undercuts the rest of the modding community and keen community in general. I just happen to be the one unoriginal enough to choose "TUIT" for the name of my mod series :p
kinget
Grunt

Post by kinget »

All I'm saying is that I really appreciate the work Ceilick's done.
Thanks for keeping my childhood alive.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

10000 viewer!! :birthday
Yeah, piece of cake!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

All I'm saying is that I really appreciate the work Ceilick's done.
Cool cool, I was hoping this was all you meant :) Big wods cause bigs reactions sometimes though.\
Thanks for keeping my childhood alive.
My goal exactly, glad you enjoy :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Beta test is nearly its completion. When the game is out, I highly recommend you to play it on hard. Yeah, there are some very hard places, but it's the best way you'll experience the game . :p
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I always play on hard :p Sissies play on normal :mortlol (j/k)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Hey Celick, I can't wait for this to come out. I can tell you're working hard on it and I liked the original Keys of Krodacia. :)
Arjak
Vortininja

A preview of what to expect.

Post by Arjak »

Helping to beta test Dead in the Desert, I can safely say that you guys are in for a treat!

-The music is top notch. If you disliked the music in Keys of Krodacia, you'll have nothing to complain about here. If I dare say so, some of the songs rival Bobby Prince's work on the originals.

-IMO, this is the funniest Keen game. To be brutally honest, I found most of the jokes in the originals to be real groaners. Not here, the humor fits perfectly into the Keen Universe. Even one of the enemies and "Entering a Level" texts made me chuckle. The story is also wonderful.

-The game comes with a help file designed to resemble and work like the in-game help files in Keen 4 and 5. I was very pleased with this. I always noticed its absence in Keen 6.

-The levels are well designed, with lots of secrets and even shortcuts for those who are "skilled."

Overall, this one is a winner. Its even better than Keys Of Krodacia! It's getting close to being finished, and I cannot wait to see what everyone else thinks of it.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, desert was what Keen misses as an environment. There are forest levels, ice, water, space and others, but not desert. And it fits very well. That said, it's a completely new feeling.

Maybe a real winter (not ice) is what Keen is yet missing but that's another story.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

We had a little bit of 'desert' in keen 4, but after playing this one, that desert will look more like just dry lands.

In any case, I'm excited. Beta's have been working hard and diligently and their finds and comments have really helped the game out. This mod is going to rock :)

Currently all patches are completed, 2/4 beta's have reported in on the 6th (and final, cross your fingers), and I'm waiting for the last song to come on. Any day now guys, any day :)
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Keen has barely scratched the surface of all the nifty environments it could have.
Leaves more for the modders. :p