Childhood Keen-related drawings

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Childhood Keen-related drawings

Post by ckguy »

Okay, there was one of these going on the old PCKF, and I mentioned I was going to scan some stuff in and share it with you guys, so here it is.

Level 1: Side 1, Side 2.
Level 2 (incomplete).
Level 3: Side 1, Side 2.
Level 4: Side 1, Side 2, Side 3 (incomplete).

I have tons of other stuff at home (the ones above are the ones I took back to school after Thanksgiving [school = where my scanner is]), but unfortunately most of them are completely incomprehensible, even to me.

Anyone else got Keen stuff buried away somewhere? in the attic? in the basement? on their fridge? Let's see it!

MYST
IS SCARY

FOR
KIDS
Last edited by ckguy on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:51, edited 4 times in total.
Allstories
Annoyed Grunt

Post by Allstories »

THE KEY
HOLE IS
LOCK FOR
EVER
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

These are some level designs I did some years ago. They aren't explicitly Commander Keen but it's pretty obvious that that's where the inspiration is coming from.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I also drew a few pages for a magazine called "Vorticon Style" which was meant to be a real estate magazine. I can't be bothered to find it now, but I assume it's still somewhere.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Good stuff. I posted my child drawing a few years ago. I'm not sure if I still have them.
Aaaah, not the bees!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I wish I still had my ancient drawings. I had barely seen any game at that point (except SMW at a friend's house), so my enemy design mostly came from myself.

I did make a small game inspired by my old paper levels (Sketchy Dude), and the coins and "squids" in that game were on my old paper levels too. Just no ink, which the paper squids would make. :P

I was planning to expand that game to include even more old ideas, too.
http://www.ectoprods.com/index.php?page ... ame&gid=38
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Very nice. Can't wait to get making some new levels... One day!
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Anti-Gary
Vortininja

Post by Anti-Gary »

Haha, I used to to do this type of thing, shame I've lost all my pictures.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Anti-Gary wrote:Haha, I used to to do this type of thing, shame I've lost all my pictures.
:(

What's strange is that I pretty much stopped drawing Keen levels when I discovered that you actually could make your own levels. You'd think I would plan them out on paper somewhat before making them on the computer, but I don't really do that.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I think I used to draw some levels, but none of them were really Keen ones, although I think I may have drawn one or two that were Keen-influenced... I don't know if I still have them, though, unfortunately.
SynDuo
Grunt

Post by SynDuo »

OH how I can wish I could find the ones I did as a kid they were hillariously morbid with details showcasing which spots I died in the most often as a "guide"

and being ten at the time parents did question what I was drawing though I told them I was making my own game guide, and let me roll with it :3
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I never drew characters from games and other things that I liked until only relatively recently. Before then, I would create things which were heavily (and usually quite obviously) inspired by those things. So the oldest drawings of Commander Keen characters I have are from only about 4-5 years ago.

I also tried doing a couple Keen fangames at the time. There was Foob's Quest, which was destined from the beginning to never go anywhere, and Return of the Vorticons, which was planned out but stopped as soon as I got sick of the game creation software. There was also "The Worst Keen Fangame Ever," which was a silly little thing I slammed out in about an hour's time, and "Comrade Keen," a mod of Keen 1 which would have been decent, if not incredibly bizarre. I lost most of it in my computer's last backup, so I'm stuck with the demo and an outdated old version now. :(
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Hey Stupid Bunny could you resize your avatar a bit?
Aaaah, not the bees!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

There, I decided i'd just change the avatar altogether instead. :)
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

wow, CK guy, your art looks a lot like mine when I was much younger. I have at least 15 or 20 drawing pads mostly from when I was like 8 - 15. In the earlier ones are many Keen drawings (levels, stories, monsters, u name it). Your robo red looks a heck of a lot like mine too. And I drew Keen in that funny way as well, in that first pic u put on this topic.

ANYway, cool stuff.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

"Ball triggers mousetraps so it's safe for you!" :D