Wacky Wheels MIDIs here

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Wacky Wheels MIDIs here

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Awesome. :)
BTW this seems to have come from an archive full of MIDIs. Quite disappointed by the lack of Duke Nukem's grabbag >: (as if I didn't already have it)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Um, I''ve had these for years, they're stored in Wackey.DAT and are a pittance to remove. Same with the Duke Nukum music.

Now if I could find those JOTJ songs in IMF again, I'd download all of them this time.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Levellass wrote:Um, I''ve had these for years, they're stored in Wackey.DAT and are a pittance to remove. Same with the Duke Nukum music.

Now if I could find those JOTJ songs in IMF again, I'd download all of them this time.
I could've sworn that JOTJ used CMF format...If we're talking about the same game
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

If JOTJ means Jill of the Jungle, I want those songs too :begging
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:If JOTJ means Jill of the Jungle, I want those songs too :begging
JOTJ, or JotJ stands for Jill of the Jungle. I actually made MP3 rips of the music in JotJ on my XP, so I don't need the MIDIs.
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

That's what I thought. I have MOST of the JOTJ midis lurking somewhere. They reek of the CMF to MIDI conversion since CMF music handled percussion tracks a little differently.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

First up... CMF?

EDIT: Aaaah, CTMF! Noowwwww I get you.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Does anybody have the IMFs from Cosmic Osmo? Oops, I meant to say Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure :o
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I do, and the old Keensound can extract them from the group file. (Filenames are M****.MNI, but are IMFs.) Textract (At S&F Prod) will do the same.

Keensound: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/KWbeta.zip
Textract: http://www.student.tue.nl/p/f.a.m.smeij ... xtract.zip

Note that once files have been extracted, they can be replaced by files of the same name and the game will play them, IF the *.VOL and *.STN files are absent. It is also possible to convert cosmo sounds to wave files.

If you don't have cosmo, I can mail the songs to you.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

As a note, does anyone have, or know where I can get, the program C2IMF? I had it once, but not knowing how to play IMFs, didn't know what it did. (I thought I could use the music for Keen, not knowing how it was stored.) It converts Jill's music to IMF without going through midi, and does it *perfectly*, but now all I have is a few songs I converted before idly deleting the program.

So yes, anybody know of it or an equivalent?
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

I'd be very interested to find out if this C2IMF actually does a perfect conversion. I added CMF support to my own Adlib player a while back, and the one thing I discovered is how inaccurate all the CMF documentation really is. I still haven't got it sounding 100% the same as Creative Labs' CMF player, and all the other code I could find for CMF playing wasn't even close.

By the way for those playing at home, the Jill music is stored in the .DDT files in the game folder - just rename them to CMF and play them in your favourite program, like AdPlug. Or download the official CMF player and listen to the way they're meant to sound! DOSBox seems to work fine here, but if you use version 0.73 you'll need to add "oplemu=old" to the [sblaster] section in the DOSBox configuration file - the new synth isn't quite up to spec yet.

That link for the official CMF player includes my CMF collection, if you're not interested in extracting them yourselves. If you're looking at testing conversion tools, Jill's funky.cmf is good (because it uses the special OPL rhythm mode to play the drums right from the start of the song) as is Kiloblaster's e1_04.cmf which has some weird kind of retrig near the start (a hihat or something hit about 50 times really fast.) Most players and converters miss those, and I still haven't figured out how to play that retrig thing properly myself! (I think I'm loading the rhythm-mode instruments incorrectly, but since there's no docs the right way is anyone's guess!)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If you're desperate enough to have Winamp with Adplug, just opening the files with it will automatically play them, .CMF or not.

All I have are some (To my ears) perfectly converted songs from Jill, I haven't heard a peep about the converter. *Sigh*
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

If you really do want to convert songs into IMF, the easiest way is to play them in DOSBox (e.g. with Creative's CMF player in the case of CMF files) and capture them to DRO. You can then convert them to IMF, say with DRO2IMF :-)

Make sure you use DOSBox 0.72 or older because the .dro format was changed in 0.73 and I haven't implemented the new format yet. Not sure if there's a converter around, but that's something else I've been meaning to write...where does all the time go??
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

DRO? What is this DRO? And where can I get OLD Dosbox?
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

DRO is "DOSBox Raw OPL", it's the name of the Adlib capture format used by DOSBox. It stores all the registers and values sent to the OPL chip, just like IMF does. DRO2IMF just rearranges the bytes a bit because the format is so similar.

Check your DOSBox config to see what shortcut keys you have set up to record a .dro file.

You can grab old versions from the DOSBox project page on SourceForge.