Keen 8: Dead in the Desert

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Did this a lot sooner than planned, but heres the Keen 8 upgraded version.

http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/ce ... een8.2.zip

Improvements include:
-SGA signs for bridges and elevators in the hydro levels for better coordination
-Slight hydro level adjustments
-Boss' stunned body is no longer required to be shot to win
-Removed the giant boulder in boss level
-Lava lake no longer has the shortcut, but the lava falls is more spaced for easier crossing (easier, not easy ;))
-Giant Cactoid has shorter search period
-Menu now has a notice to look for external help file
-Stompers cause earthquakes, frequently
-The Ceilick replacement can now be found in the secret level
-New scorebox courtesy of Mr. M
-Removal of the Impossible Bullet trick (thanks to levellass' hardwork)
-Many minor graphical fixes

Also putting out the midi files for the game music:

http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/ce ... 0Music.zip

Included here are all songs featured in-game, as well as 3 outtakes. There were more outtakes than this, but I'm saving those as possibles for Keen 9.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I'll be sure to check it out. Although I liked the Giant Cactoid as it was. :disguised

You might want to edit the first post, also.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Sorry Ceilick but something tells me that you'll need to make a new release soon... This is because I was wandering through the Devil's Cavern and I noticed those blue monsters that shoot at you tend to die when they shoot. I don't know what could be the cause of this but... I think this is a major bug that should be fixed.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Heh, now fixed, although this does make the impossible bullet trick possible again. Not a big issue.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yay, I love bugfixes and gameplay patches. This feels almost like a official game update. :lol

Looking forward to see the Ceilick, but I'll start again from the beginning, so it'll take me a while to get there.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Once again, Levellass saves the day, no thanks to msn messenger or my own incompetence with testing. The new version is now reuploaded to remove the impossible bullet :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I call it 'Mort's law'; 'If there's some way, ANY way that windows can stuff up a Keen project, it will.'
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
BrainRain
Vortininja

Post by BrainRain »

Oh It is still possible to do the Impossuble bullet trick in the Keen8.2 version
I still can do it
Can we get a version with the old scoreboard please, I don't realy like the current one, it doesn't fits well into the keen series :(
It is possible to make one and put the link on the forum below of the version with the new scorboard one version?
Thanks
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Let's see...

1- The bresh can no longer be stunned, so now they can push you to your death!

2- The Ceilick replacement cannot be stunned and they are placed by the scrub chambers so it is very difficult to pogo over them without getting fried or bitten

Damn Ceilick, please do not tell me you have turned to the dark side, too!

Edit: None of the blooglet replacements can be stunned. The neural blasts go right through them. Was this intentional?

When you shoot the mirbot from the sides, when the blast reflects off the mirbot's mirror it is supposed to stun Keen. Instead the blast goes right through him. Was this also intentional?
Last edited by Syllypryde on Mon Sep 14, 2009 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, I don't like the new scorebox either. I like the original one.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

wiivn wrote:Yeah, I don't like the new scorebox either. I like the original one.
same
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Good grief. Once again, I updated it. Mirbot shots should now reflect appropriately, and blooglets should now be stunnable again. This also means the impossible bullet is back, but its just too much of a bitch to patch out.

The Ceilick is still unstunnable, this can't be avoided since its info is used for the boss character.

I'm a fan of the new scorebox because it makes much more of the top left of the screen visible, which is something thats always bothered me about the original.
Last edited by Ceilick on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:30, edited 1 time in total.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:Good grief. Once again, I updated it. Mirbot shots should now reflect appropriately, and blooglets should now be stunnable again. This also means the impossible pogo is back, but its just too much of a bitch to patch out.

The Ceilick is still unstunnable, this can't be avoided since its info is used for the boss character.

I'm a fan of the new scorebox because it makes much more of the top left of the screen visible, which is something thats always bothered me about the original.
If all that stuff was intentional I was fine with it, even though it would make some levels a lot harder, especially in hard difficulty. Now this was the ceilick replacement you did not like? I have no problems with the scoreboard.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Post by Mr. 314 »

just get the first version and then he releases the updated one >: ah well, excellent work dude! Even if i do have to wait another few weeks, dammit
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Great job to anybody involved!

A "tiny" bug I've noticed, in the factory levels: Near pink spikes popping up from the floor, you can hear some kind of a sound, although it's quite silent.
It's probably something left over from Keen 6.

Also, now that you replaced the score box, I wondered if it should be the same for all episodes in the unofficial TUIT trilogy.
Although, it isn't a must. There may be a few commercial games (old or new) with a bit different graphics for certain things, in different episodes.

Maybe something can be changed in the menu with the font and/or the colour. Again, it's not a must.

EDIT: I've forgotten. In the boss level, there are flying cups of water. Is that on purpose to have flying cups instead of bottles?
I've just assumed the cups are replacements for these standing Vivas from Keen 6. Looks like it's totally unrelated and Keen 8 is considered to be a new game, though.