Candy Dreams Alpha

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Candy Dreams Alpha

Post by Levellass »

Since I am no good at modding at all (Well, not at all, just with graphics and levels.) I have decided it may be a wise move to close up shop on my attempts at modding. As such I have been going through my mod projects and shutting them down.

As some may be aware, for the last three years I have been modding Keen Dreams, but have been forced to edit levels byte-by-byte due to nobody wanting to help me with any of the Keen dreams compression. Although I have deleted my beta mod, or at least lost it, my alpha was actually uploaded, so I present it here for anyone who's interested.

Unlike my beta, the alpha does not have all the graphics redone, nor does it have the enemy patches or new sounds. However, FYI, these are possible, if, in the remote future, someone wants to patch Keen Dreams. (Ha!)

Note that this was my first ever mod, almost as soon as KDPatch was released. So the graphics are even *worse* than my usual fare.

Here's the alpha: http://levellord.rewound.net/KDREAMS.zip

And here is a screenshot from the beta: (Final level, oh yeah, my graphics were that bad.) Image

I'll probably release my Keen 1 mod sometime this or next month and then retire. I leave Keen modding to the superior skills of all of you, you amaze me every day!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Awesome screen! Gonna try this out now.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Can't make graphics -- garg, this screen has some of the best I've seen in mods!! You definitely shouldn't quit (coming from someone who never accomplishes anything with his mod projects and takes two to three years to bring out a new one :dopekeen)! Trying this mod out while writing this post, I see this mod has some of the coolest sprites I've seen in mods...

Oh, and what about that Keen 1 mod? Is that a finished work?
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

One usually keeps going in order to improve, or at least have fun in doing such things. You're not a bad modder at all (though levels can be frustrating at times, I have to admit), so keep going!

Now, to play this mod...
Wow look at me I'm lurking
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

A keen dreams mod? Haven't been any of those before right?

That screen looks neat too! Must try it. :)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

> Quit
FUCL you!
:lol

This mod seemed pretty promising. I like the theme you were going for, but what made you pick candy rather than the "Keen meets the meats" sequel promised in the original game? :P
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yay, the sprites are great indeed.

Did Levellord make some graphics or did you help Levellord with her earlier mod graphics? If not your style is very similar, but it seems you can draw better.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Is there a Keen Dreams level editor?
Yeah, piece of cake!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The pink rabbit looks like Jazz [insert Bonevolus's lost jazz emote here]

EDIT: Found it. Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

szemi wrote:Is there a Keen Dreams level editor?
levellass wrote:I have been modding Keen Dreams, but have been forced to edit levels byte-by-byte due to nobody wanting to help me with any of the Keen dreams compression.
I think this should say enough... If she went into the binaries to edit the levels that way, VERY unlikely. When you play the mod it should be pretty clear, anyway.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

This is just stunning. The graphics here are absolutely excellent. These enemies are great. I really like the sky pattern as well as the clouds. I also like the new keen sprite; great walking animation and i love watching him jump for some reason.

The enemies are fantastic. Really like the tater trooper replacement and his electro pole. I also really like the grape/donuts as well as the jumping marshmellows and the bouncy...i think they're jelly beans?

The new platform is also great, looks like a cross of cookie and grahm cracker.

Levellass, you're great in the graphics department, fantastic even. Don't give up :) At least, not on modding, I understand the need to give up on this mod since Keen Dreams level editing seems to be a dead end.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I don't know. Certainly people are asking me not to quit,at least until I finish something, mostly the people who have contributed things. I'm sure someone else could finish my stuff though. And do a much better job.

Oh, and what about that Keen 1 mod? Is that a finished work?
I'm thinking of making it something to go out with a bang. My last mod.

but what made you pick candy rather than the "Keen meets the meats" sequel promised in the original game?
I'm a nurse, I figured candy was more evil.

Did Levellord make some graphics or did you help Levellord with her earlier mod graphics? If not your style is very similar, but it seems you can draw better.
Lervellord taught me how to draw. This was my style *before* her interference. The beta was full of this sort of stuff. At present I occasionally gain some tiles from LL, though I usually ask her for level advice.
Is there a Keen Dreams level editor?
No, and nobody wanted to help me make one, or even tell me how the levels worked. Another reason for giving in.
The pink rabbit looks like Jazz
He does indeed. That's the Easter Bunny.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

The Map Header is Huffman Compressed

The Three Data Planes are first RLEWCompressed (flag $ABCD) and then Huffman compressed

In the Shareware version I have, the map header is distributed around the .map file. So the 26h bytes of maphead data are before each of the three planes, for each level chunk.

I wrote some stuff at keen:modding in your thread.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That will be useful as it appears someone may be continuing my mod. I will have to write something for it.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

That's great, lemm.
Now I keep on my mod too. ^^
Yeah, piece of cake!