Mink's Puzzle Pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

The double chocolate cake is a lie :birthday
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Maybe he shoots flying cake platforms to ride on...?
Whatever he uses would also have to kill enemies, so I'm guessing its something like rocket-platforms.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Platform clones + IBT?

Edit: Actually, IBT is probably not necessary.
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

Hello,

How to get to this door in the middle of the green level placed to the right of two tele ports? Where does this door lead?
I've found two ways to get the 1up in this level already :)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Szymon Bartus wrote:How to get to this door in the middle of the green level placed to the right of two tele ports? Where does this door lead?
First, find a hidden button in the upper-right corner of the map to remove one of the deadly thingies blocking the way to a secret passage. Then, in the room right next to the door room, shoot at the wall.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Draik wrote:I'm wanting to beta test this.
It won't be done for quite a while, but I will definitely keep you in mind for when the time comes.
CK Guy wrote:Hey, imagine Commander Keen Portal.
That would indeed be awesome, and it's funny you should mention Portal, as that was a pretty big inspiration for this puzzle pack. A few examples of the design approaches I borrowed from Portal: the short levels which focus on learning basic skills in order to build up to the extensive levels featuring multiple puzzles, the start and end points which are always the same, along with giving the player a new weapon in a familiar setting. (Needs moar cake, Companion Cube, and GLaDOS, though.)
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Maybe he shoots flying cake platforms to ride on...?
Whatever he uses would also have to kill enemies, so I'm guessing its something like rocket-platforms.
Keen does indeed shoot platforms, which have different properties (i.e. movement) depending on the direction in which Keen shoots them. As for enemies, I'm planning on altering the their behaviors in order to use them in the puzzles themselves, rather than as mere hindrances (think something along the lines of how vital the enemies are in Save the QuillSheep). In other words, I'm not currently planning to give Keen any way to kill enemies. :mortlol

And regarding Spleen's foot image (which is brilliant): this is indeed a joke (and has gone on long enough), as many of you have probably already guessed. Nice pictures, Spleen (especially that BotB screenshot). :lol

And since I'm guessing most of you have finished by now, I'm interested in hearing all of your thoughts on the puzzles. What worked? What didn't? Did any of the puzzles/levels seem particularly unfair? Do you have a favorite/least favorite level?
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

My least favourite level was the map. :P
I still haven't finished, should probably try and do that soon.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I'll admit, after about halfway through, I started F10+Warping to the levels instead of trying to navigate the world map. :bloody
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Mink wrote:What worked? What didn't? Did any of the puzzles/levels seem particularly unfair?
Since you're asking... The fact that each consecutive clone required an extra press of the jump key got rather troublesome if you couldn't get to the one you wanted to while in mid-air. It would have been nicer if all of them jumped at the same time on the second jump, instead of having to go through each one. A way to kill all your clones instantly like a quick button would have been nice, too, because pressing the up button sometimes makes them randomly hit a button and change a bridge repeatedly! =0
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I'm pretty sure most of those issues are brought about by the game engine itself. The clonejumping is really just abusing the game engine, and a button to automatically destroy your shots...
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

A button to destroy all the shots would really be nice. It gets hard to double jump when there are 5 keens running around :crazy
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hey now, that would require graphics editing (Of Keen) and there's no assurance that it'd work on all the clones at once.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

In most cases if you create your clones wisely, you won't have any extra clones running 'round. I don't think I ever had to have 5 clones at once.
I think it's good the way it is, there's this little extra challenge, when you have to think whether to create another clone, or rather to try and get an old one to do something...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Considering the kind of big gameplay hack this is, I'd say everything worked pretty smoothly.

Although I had difficulties in Shikadi Master Control or whatever it was -- I didn't realize for a long time that you can jump on top of those pipes or pillars or whatever they are... :o The big ones. I tried to send the clone up the normal climbable pipes to do stuff, trying everything, it took me ages to realize the simple thing to do.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

As KeenRush has noted, there's not much I can do with regards to how the clones jump and how many clones are running around - the downside of basing the entire game on glitches. The Clone-O-Zappers are really the only way I can think of to limit the number of clones.

Anyway, release three: http://up.tl-dr.org/460508eb/MinkPuzzlePackr3.zip

Not too many changes this time around, mostly housekeeping: changed music for scrolling story and high scores, a lot of bug fixes, and added some signs to aid navigation in a few of the bigger levels. There's also an mp3 of Shikadi Rock included in the music folder. Mr. M orchestrated it in the same style as his Keen 8 soundtrack, and it turned out amazingly well. So no, not exactly enough changes to get you to play through it again, but I do recommend switching to this release if you are in the middle of the game (your saves should transfer) or if you haven't tried this out yet.