Commander Keen for iPhone (based on Commander Genius)

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
pelya
Grunt

Post by pelya »

Mmm, is there anyone familiar with OpenGL? I need to output 2d-graphics through GLES library in Android, I've messed up with textures and everything I can do now is to call glClear() to fill display with some color :p
I need some method without glBegin()/glEnd() 'cause they are unavailable in GLES, so examples from Internet fail. Something with glVertexPointer() and glDrawArrays().
You may look at http://github.com/pelya/commandergenius ... oidvideo.c line 400 to see how much I failed :o

Well, there's at least some progress - I've made general app architecture, and able to post key/mouse events to SDL.
albert
Grunt

Post by albert »

Hey pelya, haven't you read my other answers to you? See also my comment on GitHub. You have based it on the wrong branch (master) -- I have already done all that work (in the iphone branch).
CommanderKing
Grunt

Post by CommanderKing »

Now if only they can get Commander Keen on the wii...
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Uhh... We can... we just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Eventually we will definitely be supported on the DS and the Wii. They already have a homebrew application for the Wii based off the original Clone Keen which proves it possible to have it on the Wii, although I haven't been able to get it running on my Wii, I'm sure that we could do a better job via official Commander Genius support for the Wii. We can use this http://code.google.com/p/dosbox-wii/source/checkout source code for a port of DOSBox to the Wii (DOSBox uses SDL) and just reorder everything into being a port of Commander Genius. It really shouldn't be that difficult to do, I mean most of what we would need is provided in that link there. If someone wishes to try and they don't have homebrew installed on their wii, go to http://www.wiibrew.org/ and it will explain how to install the homebrew channel, then you should start from Albert's copy of the source for v0.3.0.4 and try to make that run on the Wii. If you can get that working send the code to us and we can merge it onto our current system and upkeep it. Then once you get that working, look into doing the same thing on the DS, although you don't actually have to do it.

Even if no one does this anytime soon, we will eventually have Wii support of Commander Genius. We will also continue to work to provide a improved Keen experience on a wider range of devices. Some smart phones, some handheld systems and a console or two. Imagine, playing Keen on your DS/phone on the go and when you get home transferring the save file onto your Wii to play a bit more until your parents get home, then you just go back to the trusty old computer in order to play some more. This really seems cool if you ask me, but we have a long way to go till that point. First we will add support for all of the Keen games (Dreams is debatable, if we wanted we could start before this one, but that is only if they don't know enough about the Keen Dreams system by then for us to implement it into our engine) and even then it won't be a huge priority, we aren't getting paid to do this after all, taking breaks is nice sometimes.
pelya
Grunt

Post by pelya »

Hey, I've got video output in my Android port, no sound yet.
I've rebased my changes to iphone branch, though on Android it won't go past episode selection menu - when I click on episode it returns to menu, and the same code compiled on PC loads the episode, but doesn't draw half of graphics.
Sooo, you broke it Albert :p ? Where to get sources that work?
albert
Grunt

Post by albert »

Pelya, where have you copied the gamedata to? My Xcode project file copies it automatically into the application bundle. If it is missing, it wont start -- it probably will have exactly the behaviour you described (or it will crash).
pelya
Grunt

Post by pelya »

I've made latest trunk to work on Android, without sound yet.
Sources: http://github.com/pelya/commandergenius/tree/cg_android
Installation package: http://sites.google.com/site/xpelyax/Ho ... ects=0&d=1 (runs okay but slowly in emulator, didn't test on device yet)
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Here, is another attempt by myself to create working control scheme, I also realized that if we keep the screen in the middle with stuff around it, it won't have the weird look of scaling x1.5 or such and we can display status related stuff in the empty space. Hopefully we will get a mini display like the one in Keens 4-6 except in the vorticons area, but on the computer, any platform with extra space will have it there rather than on top of the screen.

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

^^ You neutered 2-button firing!!!!!!!!! :O :O :O
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Well, I'm just trying to illustrate how it can work. The buttons on the bottom right would be mashed together, but for convenience of use, they would probably be ordered like that.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Looks very nice.

Please assure that albert gets that information or compile it yourself.

I am not so sure, if he visits this forum often.
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

I downloaded this yesterday, and loving it so far. Always wanted to play keen in mobile!

Just one question: I'm only able to play the first episode. When I click any of the others, it still throws me to the first one. Is this because you haven't converted the other ones or is it a bug?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

You need to copy EP2 and EP3 to data/games is far I remember

Very soon we are going to release another version even better.

That version will autodetect the games
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:^^ You neutered 2-button firing!!!!!!!!! :O :O :O
LOL

Good luck with iKeen guys ;)
ImageMay the Well Of Wishes grant you a fortunate new year!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Just installed this. Can't believe I didn't find out about it until now.

Very awesome, although it doesn't seem to let me load any other episodes other than Marooned on Mars, despite there being other episodes available. :bloody