OpenTyrian

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

OpenTyrian

Post by DaVince »

Tyrian - Ported from its original Turbo Pascal code to C and soon to be enhanced with new stuff. It works surprisingly well and is available for several different systems!

http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/

Quite awesome, it got me back into playing Tyrian again.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I've played some game that was a bit like this, can't remember its name though. This looks quite nice though.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Ah, yes. I read about this recently when revisiting the Tyrian forums for the first time in a long while. It seems that community has come a long way since I first came across it. Hopefully it evolves into something as polished as OpenTTD.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

This is very interesting! I love Tyrian and can't wait to see what they do with it.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Does anyone following this project? I've downloaded the DS version since it was released and didn't catch what's going on with the PC version.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

There are two versions: classic, which tries to be as close as possible to the original, and an evolved/advanced version that's apparently going to have and support a whole lot of new stuff.

What news is there? Well, they're now directly delivering Windows and Mac builds from the project page. :p
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well I've tried the enhanced version, but it doesn't work. In the log appears some errors: "Error: Failed to add "data" to search paths.
Error: Failed to add "opentyr-data" to search paths. ERROR: Unable to find Tyrian data file: music.mus" (although the file is there) :confused. Too bad. I guess there isn't stable release yet.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Correct, last time I tried the enhanced version I couldn't shoot stuff... Here's to hoping it turns into something beautiful. :)