Favorite Apogee Game (Besides Keen)?

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Duke Nukem 1 is not only my favourite Apogee game, it is my favourite game of all time!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I played Duke Nukem II a lot when I was younger. (Who would've guessed!?)

Stumbled upon Hocus Pocus some time ago and played through all episodes within a week or so. Probably the easiest Apogee game ever. And still fun to play.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Since someone brought up the topic of Apogee games...

I just happen to have pretty much *every* episode of *every* Apogee game ever made...I put it up as a torrent somewhere, I don't remember where. It took FOREVER to collect everything.

I thought I'd bring up another game that I liked playing when I needed time to kill:

Stargunner
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

wiivn wrote:I like them all, but it's more easy for me to point only the exceptions: Stargunner, Monster Bash (just played a bit), Word/Math Rescue (not my kind of games), Realm of Chaos (didn't played this, but looks like crap) and Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport (looks like crap too).
I hadn't tried Stargunner before it was released as freeware. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it very much. You might want to give it another try. Realms of Chaos is also pretty fun, IMO.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I never expected someone to mention Stargunner! I used to play that a lot when I was a kid (though I sucked at it :P).
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

IMA3HDDMNKY wrote:
wiivn wrote:I like them all, but it's more easy for me to point only the exceptions: Stargunner, Monster Bash (just played a bit), Word/Math Rescue (not my kind of games), Realm of Chaos (didn't played this, but looks like crap) and Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport (looks like crap too).
I hadn't tried Stargunner before it was released as freeware. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it very much. You might want to give it another try. Realms of Chaos is also pretty fun, IMO.
I dunno. How did you manage to run it smoothly? Even in dosbox it's too fast.
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

Which game are you talking about, RoC or Stargunner? I've got both running pretty smoothly in DOSBox (although I still often use my old 486 and Pentium systems to play DOS games). Have you tried lowering the CPU cycles?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yes, I tried that. And it's crazy in the menus. It's blinking and it's super fast no matter how I reduce cpu cycles. Stargunner of course.

Edit: right. I should stick with specific cycles instead of the default auto cycles.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Now that I think about it, I think I do like Major Stryker better than Raptor.
Not only does it have awesome guitar riffs, but also Yoshira's hilariously awful euphemisms before each new planet (that I didn't get when I was 6).

My favourite:

"Well done, Major. That space station was a key link in the Kretin's communications and security network. Now you can slip down to the planet and seek out their home base."

<Press Enter>

"That's not the only home base I hope you seek."
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, I like Major Stryker too. Raptor - it's an ok game. Maybe a little more variety and a bit higher gameplay speed would make it much better. The ideal game for me is Tyrian.

For me, Major Stryker was the perfect shmup with arcade retro Apogee feel that you just can't stop playing until you finish it. I think there are some unique elements in it and love the graphics and the music. Also, it was one of the best of its kind for the PC back then (I didn't have SNES/GEN). I don't know why it didn't get appreciation from the fans and it's not popular.
c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

Biomenace the first game that scared me as a child (olso the wormouth from Keen) after this there was Major Stryker, great game great levels great boss-es. And Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure wich was incredibily hard for me as a child and it still is these days.
OhoH!!! and not forget Crystal Caves which gave me lots of headaches, geez that was a pain as a kid, nowadays its really easy and lots of fun.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

My granddad (who I know as "Pop") showed me Keen as a small child. He only had Keen 4 and Keen 1, and had no Adlib-compatible card. :(

Anyway, he also showed me Secret Agent mission 1, Pharaoh's Tomb, Arctic Adventure, The Monuments of Mars, Ants, Kid's World Almanac (weird game), and many others. Oh yeah, and Hexagon.

EDIT: Oh, and until about 2004, we had no IBM-compatible computers at my house, so Keen was even more of a treat. :dopekeen
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Oh, your grandfather? Hmm, I find it interesting that such person would be your first contact to Keen :P Heh, I found about Keen 4 via my sister (who's 8 years older than me), who got it along with K1-3 and 5 from her friend.

I also think that we had no speakers with our first PC that I played the Keens on, and instead I used to listen to the "PC speaker sounds". Just a few days ago, I re-discovered that sacred option in the configuration menu, and boy, did I get a nostalgic feeling :)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Spikenexus
Vortininja

Post by Spikenexus »

Just recently I made recordings of a few of the PC speaker sounds to use as ringtones for my phone, so now every time I get a message, it sounds like I've just scored an extra life from Keen 4! It's surprising how many people hear the ringtone and recognize that it's from Commander Keen.

As for my favourite Apogee game, I think I'd choose Cosmo 1. Nostalgia plays a factor in this for sure, though I was always it was a pretty fun game, and the ability to climb walls was pretty cool and I'd imagine fairly unique at the time, as was the use of bombs instead of a gun.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Spikenexus wrote:Just recently I made recordings of a few of the PC speaker sounds to use as ringtones for my phone, so now every time I get a message, it sounds like I've just scored an extra life from Keen 4! It's surprising how many people hear the ringtone and recognize that it's from Commander Keen.
Haha, that's a neat idea! I wonder if I could do something similar...
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."