New computer

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

New computer

Post by Rorie »

i have decided to have a new computer built i currently have an 3ghz amd cpu which i found out today is not enough to play the 3d version of the original secret of monkey island game. my mother has agreed to let me increase my maxinum download usage from 3 to 6gig per month as it is only a extra 10 AUD than i am currently paying now. which is a good start to be able to play the game but i still need at least a 4ghz processor. my sister's bf has agreed to make me a new computer for which i do not know when it will be ready but he has also agreed to back up my current data. my sister is off to europe shortly for work purposes. i don't know how long it will take but her bf says there is no hurry to pay him the deposit of 500 AUD as he has a steady job and is never sort on money he works in the i.t computer industry for which those jobs pay well. i also noticed that telltale is now selling the 3d game of secret of monkey island for 9.95 USD is that thru steam or is it a separate download?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I recently purchased a new computer, a Christmas present to myself, back in December. It was an AMD Athalon II quad core-something-or-other clocked at 2.6 GHZ. The thing is, it didn't have a graphics card in it and the integrated graphics didn't amount to a pile of beans. The computer tower cost me around $550 and the BFG (yes, it's really called that) VESA local bus-wannabe graphics card cost me about $250 and that was a top-of-the-line new card. In total my rig was a good 800 USD. You can check out my You Tube channel to see how it preforms.

Before you run out and purchase a brand new PC, Rorie, I suggest you take the time to research if your computer is of the old era (AGP) or the new era (PCI Express) for graphic accelerators. If you are not a hardcore computer/videogame player like myself, and can do without running the latest releases at ultra-high resolutions and framerate, then you could probably save yourself a few hundred dollars by hunting down a DirectX 9c (that means it has shader model 2.0) compatible videocard or better. You can not get DirectX 10 graphics for Windows XP or for AGP slots.

If you don't have a graphics card in your computer you might as well not even try to run 3D games of any sort made after 2004. If you don't know what your videocard is, or what kind it is, you can take a picture of the inside of your computer and put it online so I can determine what you got.

I looked up the specs on The Secret of Monkey Island : Special Edition and in fact your computer DOES meet the requirements for CPU clock speed. All you need is a DirectX 9c compatable video card. BUT if your computer is from the AGP era you might have a hard time finding a compatible video card.

If you are restricted to an AGP slot, I recommend the Nvidia Ge-Force 6000 some or higher series, as high as you can get. I bought a Ge-Force 6600LE with 256MB RAM back in the day and that let my Pentium 3 900MHZ run Serious Sam 2 quite well. Later, I ran Oblivion with it and even made a mod but it didn't run or render too well. Still, it was playable.
There's only one problem, don't overextend your power supply. That's what I did and I ended up blowing out all the capacitors on my video card because I had a PCI USB expansion slot card installed.

Just because your computer might not meet the requirements for the game, doesn't mean you can't run it. So long as you have that pixel-shader requirement met, your computer WILL execute and run the game. (Framerate is a different matter.) In fact, throughout the years I found out that most of the CPU requirements for PC games is completely irrelevant. It depends on the game in question though. With SMI : SE, I don't see it being a problem. I would say, take a risk, and go ahead and download the game right now. The only bad thing is, if your computer can't handle the game, you just wasted your bandwidth. Worst that would happen was you realize you need a new computer, and you have to wait another month to redownload the game.

In other words, Rorie, it's the Graphics Processing Unit that makes the game, not the Central Processing Unit.
Get a 3D accelerator instead of a new computer if The Secret of Monkey Island : Special Edition is all you want to play. It will save you a few hundred dollars.

Now, to respond to some of your points:

I, myself, was expecting to be able to grab a cell chip processor by this time for my home PC. I was wrong. In fact, before I looked into it, I thought I was going to be able to grab a 5GHZ processor. The problem is, there is too much heat generated at speeds higher than 3GHZ. Unless you want our CPUs made out of solid silver or better yet, pure gold semiconductor material, then were going to have to live with the 3GHZ limit for air cooling. Yes you can get 4-5, even 6GHZ with intense overclocking and water cooling but that's just plain stupid.

Instead what they did is increased the word path for processors to 64 bit instead of 32 and dropped the legacy 16 bit processes altogether, simply because we have emulators (DOS Box) that does that quite aptly. Let me tell you this straight, 64 Bit is where it's at. Very solid, very fast. Lots of memory, lots of speed, very LARGE numerical strings being processed at one time. (I would prefer 128 bit but that's just me) The only PROBLEM is, NO ONE makes any 64 Bit programs right now. NO ONE. ALL commercial games are STILL 32 bit.

In other words, unless you are psycho-crazy at computer(s) games like me, don't worry about upgrading. I mean I upgraded and I find myself playing Doom more than Assasin's Creed 2 or Crysis. If you absolutely MUST upgrade, DON'T get a core duo, get a quad-core with at least 4GB of RAM. It's worth it.

Lastly, I believe Steam is the only way to get this game. I am unsure though.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

as i stated in my above post Galaxieretter
my sister's bf knows what he is doing
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!