Mortimer == Mandark?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Mortimer == Mandark?

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Do you guys think these two villains are... suspiciously similar? Mandark and Dexter are certainly more nerdy than Keen and Mortimer. Billy just has a way of being both smart and cool, whereas Dexter can't get out of the stereotype of genious nerdiness, so I'd say they are too different to be related/based off each other somehow. But Mandark and Mortimer, well, the line separating them is less visible. They're both evil geniouses out for world domination/destruction, and they look somewhat similar. Not to mention both their names start with an "M." Maybe I'm just trying too hard to force together a contrived connection, but these set of characters were born around the same era.

EDIT: Woah, I'm a Vortininja. I'm sure I wasn't that cool before! :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I don't know anything about Dexter or such, but I do not think all the evil (kid) geniuses have to be from the same source, so I think you're probably trying too hard -- besides, the Dexter show first appeared in 1996, Keen (and Mortimer) in 1990. :p
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

KeenRush wrote:the Dexter show first appeared in 1996, Keen (and Mortimer) in 1990. :p
Dexter's lab definately aired YEARS before 1996. Not before 1990, but I remember it was around in the early 90's because I watched that show before I moved to New Jersey in 1995.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Well, I used wikipedia as a source so my info can be wrong, but there it reads that the first season was shown in 1996, and something other in some cartoon show in 1995 if I understood correctly.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

KeenRush wrote: -- besides, the Dexter show first appeared in 1996, Keen (and Mortimer) in 1990. :p
Would it be easier to say that Dexter was influenced by Commander Keen if it was broadcast in let's say 1982?
Really, what's your point here?
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

My point here was that Keen wasn't influenced by Dexter. However, I can't understand your point. :)
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

KeenRush wrote:My point here was that Keen wasn't influenced by Dexter. However, I can't understand your point. :)
You seem to argue that it's unlikely that Dexter was influenced by Commander Keen because the series was broadcast six years later. I fail to see the logic.
Aaaah, not the bees!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I don't think there's much connection. I think the similarity is mostly that both characters are sort of counterparts to the main character, someone just as smart but more evil.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Djaser wrote:You seem to argue that it's unlikely that Dexter was influenced by Commander Keen because the series was broadcast six years later. I fail to see the logic.
No, I haven't argued about that, I've said that I don't think Keen was influenced by Dexter, not the other way around. I don't know or care if Dexter has been inspired by Keen.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I never really thought Dexter's Lab was inspired much by Commander Keen.

Jimmy Neutron though, is a different story.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

I think many shows have evil geniuses that are similar to the main hero. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few looking like Mort. and 'M' is just a good letter to begin a dark, evil-sounding name.

And to conclude, Dexter and Jimmy by no means can compare to Keen.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

There was this TmsT webcomic about a fake gameshow called "Eat Your Veggies" in which Keen, Dexter, and Anakin Skywalker all competed. They were all compared according to various criteria, and whoever was most different had vegetables dumped on them.

If I recall correctly, one of the contests involved comparing their arch-nemeses. Anakin's was Darth Maul apparently, but of course Keen and Dexter had Mortimer and Mandark, respectively. At some point Mandark bragged about how he was smarter than Dexter, and Mortimer got pissed because Mandark's motives for mocking Dexter were too similar to his own.

This isn't terribly important, but the comic itself was pretty funny. If I find it I'll post it. :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Heh, I remember that comic faintly, it'd be great to see it and the other old Keen-related TMST comics... But too bad most of them have vanished for good, I think. :garg
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Along with tons of other tmst stuff - I was looking for Bedtime Stories with Alan Rickman (his first flash video) but the link is to his old site, which is dead and gone. :(
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

I somehow came across a site of TMST some time ago, and saw that comic. Yeah it was funny.

Who's got the links to his sites btw? We need links to fansites on this forum; i think the EZboard 1 had a link to dosclassics if im not mistaken.

While I'm at it, whatever happened to the Keen icons we had to the left of every topic? The boring white and weird-orange colored paper aren't Keen inuff.
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C