Duke Nukem 3D Modification with DukeRes, please help me!!

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Duke Nukem 3D Modification with DukeRes, please help me!!

Post by szemi »

Hello,i know it's not Duke Nukem forum.

But can anybody help in modificating, i'm trying to use DukeRes programme,but i have a got difficult.
I exported a sprite(in the editor it has got pink background,which means it's invisible),but if i modificate the sprite and i cut and import that,then in the game it'll be pink,so not invisible. How can I solve the problem. Pleease help me!!! :(
Yeah, piece of cake!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

And one thing,i went to import and i can't import the picture because it says: Only bitmaps with 256 colours are supported in Duke.
Yeah, piece of cake!
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

While I haven't really been using Dukeres before and don't remember all details, the following could maybe help:
It'd be good to ensure the modified external file saved still uses the same 256 color palette as before, and not more than 256 colors (e.g. 16-bit or 24-bit).
Also, the Duke palette actually has two occurrences of that pink shade: One which is actual pink, and the other one for transparency.
I think that you can use some key to swap colors in editart, maybe 'c' although I'm not sure.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Duke also has a dark purple colour which is used for 50% transparency. The pink colour isn't important, it's the fact that it's the last colour in the palette. It can be any colour you want, they just chose bright pink to make it stand out.

Your image editor seems to be rearranging the palette, which you most certainly don't want!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Malvineous wrote:Your image editor seems to be rearranging the palette, which you most certainly don't want!
Which editor would you suggest? I'm thinking Photoshop and don't use adaptive gif export, but that's a) Photoshop and b) probably not what you are looking for.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

You could use Photoshop or The GIMP. Both can handle indexed (256 color) images with a custom palette. Just open any image exportet from the Duke files (they should all have the correct colors) and save the palette to a file. Then you should be able to edit the image in any way you want (even going to 16 or 24 bit colors). Just convert the image back to 8 bit using the color palette you saved, and then save as bitmap and import it in DukeRes.

This is how I've done a lot of sprite editing for Wolf3D. I haven't used any Duke modding tools, but this procedure should work for about any game with 8 bit graphics.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

kuliwil wrote:
Malvineous wrote:Your image editor seems to be rearranging the palette, which you most certainly don't want!
Which editor would you suggest? I'm thinking Photoshop and don't use adaptive gif export, but that's a) Photoshop and b) probably not what you are looking for.
So Microsoft Paint isn't good?
Yeah, piece of cake!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Is it saving it as 8-bit or 24-bit? I'm pretty sure MS Paint didn't interfere with the palette, so it should be fine as long as you continue saving it as 8-bit.

If it still fails at saving in 8-bit, try opening the unmodified file in GIMP. Edit it in Paint and copy the contents back to the GIMP instance and click Save. This is how I get around the problem with KolourPaint modifying the palette when saving 8-bit images.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

I was under the impression that Pain had its own palette... I may be wrong. I was just thinking that all the bit depth stuff with bitmaps kinda pre-defined it. I just know that you can know for certain what your pallette is in Photoshop and The Gimp.

Maybe Paint.NET is most suited to your needs? {http://www.getpaint.net/}That is, of course, if using MS Paint is the issue.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Well I've had palette issues with Paint.NET so I wouldn't trust it with this problem
kuliwil wrote:I was under the impression that Pain had its own palette...
Woo, epic typo.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Paint doesn't mess with the palette if you have one, at least for the XP and earlier versions, but its own color picker unfortunately does NOT adapt to this palette so you might be misguided into thinking it saves to some 'default' palette.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

sorry i forgot what is GIMP? :D
Yeah, piece of cake!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Image You crack me up little buddy!