ID super pack half-price on steam

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

ID super pack half-price on steam

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/440/

You get all those for $35. Crazy :eek
But I already own half of them, and since we know on Steam they're only selling keens 1-5 and not dreams or 6 we can infer there is probably some more missing content among them that's not included here. The things I'm most curious about are those very obscure expansions to Quake and Quake II that I never got my hands on... and Doom II Master levels? What's this?

Aye, the downside of being on steam is that you'd have to log into it, using the internetz, to play any of them, and you can't, you know, physically get them onto your HD to play around with or make copies and move them to other places >:
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I bought this on sale maybe a year and a half ago and man it's a good deal (or maybe it would be if I really played any of these other than Keen :crazy).

As for the "not being able to get copies on your hdd to play around with" bit, steam saves the stuff for the older id games in a folder that goes something like "steam -> steamapps -> [game] -> base" (or at least I think - I'm going off of memory here). Better yet, they don't have any copy restrictions. :pirate

But unfortunately I think the newer stuff is all in those .ncf and .gcf files, so you'd need to extract it all somehow (pretty sure there are programs for this).
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

All of them? For 35 bucks? Whoa.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

haha, since when was Keen's genre "Action"? Does that make Mario action?

And I hate how the Keen Steam page says that it was released in 1990 - that was only Marooned on Mars! But, they probs do that for all games. It just reminds me of iD's web page for Keen - all wrong. :P

And for future reference for my replies because I've probs got something wrong or crossed threads or something: :dopekeen
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
IMA3HDDMNKY
Vortininja

Re:

Post by IMA3HDDMNKY »

I hate Steam, but that's a very reasonable price.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Re: ID super pack half-price on steam

Post by Galaxieretter »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:The things I'm most curious about are those very obscure expansions to Quake and Quake II that I never got my hands on... and Doom II Master levels? What's this?
Ok ok...

First, a word of warning. Yes, they sell Quake II, the most hardcore action-packed first person shooter game ever, and it's expansions over Steam. Problem is they don't have any music.

There is a patch which installs OGG files for use with a specific and very buggy source port that won't load the new enemies and crashes more often than not. You have to copy and paste crap, install patches and make a .bat file just to play the damn expansions. It's wrong really. So after I bought the games, I downloaded the CD's so I could get the music. Problem is, the origninal Quake II game installed by Steam, which still runs perfectly fine in Windows with no bugs or crashing mind you, only uses drive "D" for the music so I have to find a free program in which to burn .ISO files.

:headdesk

You are better off getting the .ISO files or original CDs somewhere else than trying to buy it through Steam.

Also, The Reckoning is pretty good, not as good as the original but the other expansion pack, I can't get past the first level so whatever.

The Doom II, the master levels is an official expansion pack. Each level is it's own separate .WAD file made by people outside ID Software and they all kinda suck, so don't bother with it. You get it free if you buy Doom II.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Galaxieretter wrote: First, a word of warning. Yes, they sell Quake II, the most hardcore action-packed first person shooter game ever, and it's expansions over Steam. Problem is they don't have any music.
You call that a bad thing? Who actually WANTS to hear Quake II's ear-rape they dare to call a soundtrack? I remember getting heart attacks followed by a migraine every time I forgot to pull out that CD before playing the game after installing it for the nth time (why did I install it multiple times? Lets just say I went through a lot of computers over the years :o )

The original Quake, however, I never really got the music to work for some reason, even with the CD in it, so I played both games in silence. From what I heard of it searching around ithe Quake I soundtrack has a very ambient and eerie feel to it, a lot like doom 64, which I appreciate much more that Quake II's heavy metal racket (yes I realize The Prince composed them, but honestly, his best work was in IMFs and MIDIs)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

since we know on Steam they're only selling keens 1-5 and not dreams or 6 we can infer there is probably some more missing content among them that's not included here.
What makes you think that? All of the shown titles are owned by iD. Keen 6 is the only exception, as far as I'm aware.

Pretty nice pack, though. I wish I had any money left this month.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:we know on Steam they're only selling keens 1-5 and not dreams or 6 we can infer there is probably some more missing content among them that's not included here.
What is Keen like on Steam anyways? I was curious about that. :confused
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Since it's a topic about ID software, you may be interested to know that Rage wins best FPS, PS3, X360, PC and game of the show (+ one more) GT awards :). Which is quite a lot.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Rage was in E3? So they're getting close to finishing...
And as for other stuff missing in that pack, there's this expansion to Hexen II called Portals of Praevus that isn't there. It's strange that Hexen II's even there in the first place since Raven was bought out by Activision at the time and made it for them :confused Maybe cuz it's based on the Quake II engine? But so is half life and you don't see them taking credit for that :p

Anyhoo... that little expansion to Hexen II included a patch upgrade for the original Hexen II that fixed quite a few bugs, and I'm presuming the Hexen II you get in that package is the old original one without any bugfixes (and since it's on Steam, you can't just download the patch and run it on there).
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Rage is slated to be released some time next year. Hopefully.

RAAAAAGE! :x
I'm raging over how long it's taking to make Rage. Although it looks to be the best game ever made ever. I will wait to see. (I think they delayed it because Borderlands totally copied an entire game from the Rage trailer. A testiment to how awesome Rage will be.)
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Who actually WANTS to hear Quake II's ear-rape they dare to call a soundtrack?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvRYVSQS2_s

EAR-RAPE. I hope they bleed.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:there's this expansion to Hexen II called Portals of Praevus that isn't there. It's strange that Hexen II's even there in the first place since Raven was bought out by Activision at the time and made it for them :confused Maybe cuz it's based on the Quake II engine? But so is half life and you don't see them taking credit for that :p

Anyhoo... that little expansion to Hexen II included a patch upgrade for the original Hexen II that fixed quite a few bugs, and I'm presuming the Hexen II you get in that package is the old original one without any bugfixes (and since it's on Steam, you can't just download the patch and run it on there).
I guess Hexen II is in there, because it was produced by id (at least Heretic and Hexen were produced by id), although I can't remember seeing any id logos in Hexen II. And even if publishing rights went over to Activision, id might still have retained publishing rights.

With Wolf3D (and Keen: Galaxy), there's a similar situation. There's the original version dristributed by Apogee, but I've also seen some versions that had GT Interactive and even Activision logos showing up at startup. And Apogee is STILL distributing Wolf3D and Keen: Galaxy, too.

Anyway, I experienced some issues with my version of the Hexen II Mission Pack: Portal of Praevus: When I play them in OpenGL mode on modern hardware, some of the model data gets totally skrewed up. But the original Hexen II worked just fine in OpelGL. I haven't tried the game on my old machine with a Voodoo 3 recently, but I ithink I didn't get that error there.

So if anyone has a copy of H2MP, could you please tell me if you get the same error in OpenGL?

If I remember correctly, you had to delete the mini-gl drivers that are installed by default, since they only work with old Voodoo cards. If you don't delete them, the OpenGL version won't start up at all.

Edit: Just checked out http://www.ravensoft.com/ and found this:
Id Software and Raven Software joined forces again to expand the Heretic and HeXen universe in a bold new direction. Powered by the Quake engine, HeXen II was developed from 1996 to 1997 on a brutal production schedule, published by Id Software and distributed by Activision Inc.
Last edited by K1n9_Duk3 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:13, edited 1 time in total.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Bonevelous wrote:What is Keen like on Steam anyways? I was curious about that. :confused
It's exactly the same as Keen not on Steam. I mean really, a game sold through Steam is identical to its non-Steam version (in terms of actually playing it of course). Just pretty much how you buy/launch the game is different.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

I miss the old floppy disks.