It says it's Commander Keen but it isn't.

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

It says it's Commander Keen but it isn't.

Post by Galaxieretter »

A long while ago (2 years now?) someone found a fake game that had "Commander Keen" in the title. It was "Commander Keen's Trek '95" or some crap like that.

Well... upon doing a Google Product search for "Commander Keen" I found a multitude of GBC cartridges ranging from $1 - $10. All a rip off I say. But google also picked up another interesting product with the name "Commander Keen" in the title that was on Ebay. Unlike Commander Keen's trek of '95 this product did not pass its self off as a game but as an audio CD...

With MP3's on it.

COMMANDER KEEN OLDTIME RADIO SHOWS MP3 CD

Oh... I guess Commander Keen was running a pirate radio station for a while with his Photachyon Transceiver until he was discovered, shut down and sued by the Intergalactical Radio Industry Protection Of Finances Department.

But seriously though, it looks like this person just sells recorded "Old time" radio shows as judging by his store.
I really don't know what to make of this.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:lol

Hmmm, very interesting. I'm sure it has nothing to do with our Commander Keen, but could it be some old radio show they had heard in their youth and invented the name from there, or got it there without realizing it, or perhaps it's just coincidence.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

DJ CD!! (excuse the Dutch on that page.)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

This is getting crazier! :crazy Hehe, what is that!
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Aaaah, not the bees!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

That's odd, maybe it was the name of a radio show or something. Or they could've just put the words "Commander Keen" in the title just for the hell of it.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Haha, it says "Batman", what the hell?
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

This isn't the first time Keen has shown up on an unrelated CD. Weird that it's happened more than once, though.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Some days ago I dreamed that the forum had the new hi-color smilies installed. I guess it was just a dream then...
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

There's a crappy we-play-in-bars-coz-we-suck-too-much-to-have-our-own-concerts band here in my city called "Commander Keen". I saw one of their posters on a lamppost one day and it was misspelled "Commandar Keen" and the musicians were represented by South Park characters.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:lol An insult to Keen's name! :dead
KnuxSpaz
Meep

Post by KnuxSpaz »

Actually, this looks somewhat legit. Check out the episode names: "Commander Keen Dossier On Dumetrius." Googling this yields the following:

DOSSIER ON DUMETRIUS

Series: 223830

Summary: A spy story set in London involving Major Gregory Keen of M.I.5. Suspense thriller radio serial set in contemporary (post-war) London. The dossier on Dumetrius is a document now gathering dust in a silent room...

Contributors: Lawrence H. Cecil (PDR), Lindsay Hardy (SCR).

Cast: Bruce Stewart (Gregory Keen), Frank Waters (Tommy Coutts), Guy Doleman (Dumetrius), Dinah Shearing (Hedy Bergner), Reginald Goldsworthy (Peter Ridgeway), Alan White (Godowski), Ruth Cracknell (Dora).

Label: Grace Gibson

Episode duration: 15 mins

Episodes produced: 104

Notes: Four sequels of the adventures of Major Gregory Keen of M.I.5 were produced: ‘Deadly Nightshade’, ‘Twenty six hours’, ‘Two Roads to Samarra’, ‘The Smell of Terror’.

See:
http://www.nfsa.afc.gov.au/docs/collect ... 0-1970.pdf (Search for "DOSSIER ON DUMETRIUS" or just "KEEN")
http://www.gracegibson.com.au/index.php?o=pro&id=36

However, these describe the character as "Major Keen." Several sites list it as "Commander Keen." Still, simply labelling the disk "Commander Keen" seems like a pretty clear case of keyword baiting.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

I just found commanderkeen.co.uk by accident with Google.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nice, judging by their MySpace stuff they're cool. I'll buy their album if they ever release one. :)

Edit: Haha, check what picture they have with the 'Zero One MTD Remix'. :D
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

At least we know that they know about the game and it's not just a naming mistake.