The Keys of Krodacia: Revision Discussion

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Paramultart wrote:
Gridlock wrote:First post! :)
WRONG!!! :moon
He only has 1 post. How could he/she have more? :rolleyes
Erm... Oh, I thought he meant first post in the thread. :foot

Whoopsies!
RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

Agree with adding some music to the original, but also I'd like "Into the Inferno" to be changed, it sometimes becomes an annoying bunch of notes.

Imho, with Krodacians and Magis there should be also a Krodacian Kid, like it used to be in CK3 with Vorticons (maybe replacing the Slurple?)

Last thing, not important but it can be a neat touch: instead of the swimming coin, can you put some kind of guardian that requires a ticket to let you swim in the Krodacian Lakes?
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."
Lumpytoast
Vortininja

Post by Lumpytoast »

Perhaps the Fun House level could be re-named "House O' Fun", or "Fun House O' Doom".
I find that substituting 'Of' with 'O'' is very Keenish for some reason. (Keg O' Vitalin?) :begging
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I like "The Mushroom Gardens" as opposed to "Mushroom Forest". ;)
The Keen Commander
Vortininja

Post by The Keen Commander »

@ Ceilick:

Nosdrill Tunnels sounds good...maybe Nosdrill Mining Facility though?

The Mushroom Grove & Brombo Bluffs = Perfect

Funhouse: Hipalong Palace?

Monk's Tower? Monk's Tower Observatory?

The Magi Metropolis maybe?

Ogobogo Trench or Squiddly Shoal for the other underwater level.
I'd like to get a Futurama mod going. Here's what I've got so far:
http://www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2152
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Lumpytoast wrote:Perhaps the Fun House level could be re-named "House O' Fun", or "Fun House O' Doom".
I find that substituting 'Of' with 'O'' is very Keenish for some reason. (Keg O' Vitalin?) :begging
With "of" or "O" it still reminds me of the madness song "house of fun" - maybe not the best name given the subject of that song.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Last edited by Gridlock on Fri Aug 13, 2010 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

The moment Krodacian Magis are confined to rooms, you make them a lot less dangerous. I liked the Forest Skies level because of how the Magis can chase you in a wide open area, yet it isn't that hard to shoot them down from midair either. If you redesign the top, I suggest you add more height to the level ;)
It's probably possible to patch in a Krodacian youth as a completely new enemy. Whatever its behavior is has to recycled from an existing enemy though (although things can be changed to be pretty unrecognizable). What would be a good behavior for this enemy?
The Krodacians could undergo a phase as larvae in their youths. The young Krodacians could thus be purple, sack-like worms with, though not necessarily, the trademark tentacles it slowly crawls with. If possible, they would be unstunnable, and once hit, would turn into pupa-like, immovable form. After a short or not-so-short period, it would transform back to the moving larvae form.

Propably imposible to patch.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Since you guys seem intent on changing everything you might as well change the name of the game, too. Let's call it:

Commander Keen: Episode Worthless: Obviously The Keys of Krodacia is a Piece of Crap so Ceilick Has Decided to Create a Whole New Keen 4 Mod!

I remember Ceilick saying once that he "Keenrushed" the music in the second revision just so TKOK could have music. Because of this I understand how many people may dislike the current soundtrack. Having only four tracks play through seventeen levels does seem a little redundant. If you want to add some new tracks that is fine, but please do not take out the current tracks.

If you want to add to the background scenary in the levels and the world map in order to enhance the visual experience that is fine. On the world map the four forest levels look almost the same and Private Manor, Monk's House and Fun House are exactly the same. If you would like to visually revise these levels so they look a little more distinctive from each other that would be fine. Other than that, please leave the graphics alone! What is this about changing the enemies? The creatures are fine the way they are, please leave them alone. Ceilick also mentioned adding SGA signs to switches? Did you forget you already did this for TKOK?

Changing the title screen? Didn't we already go through this nonsense with BOTB? I swear you guys took up 15-20 pages being anal retentive just to make the title screen "perfect"! If Ceilick and crew would have spent that 1-3 months making the game, rather than wasting time "trying to please everyone" they might have actually had the game done by now. Making a cool, Keenish title screen for BOTB is great, but making changes just because Keen's nostrills "just don't look quite right" is kind of ridiculous if you ask me! Who cares if Fat Monk is only in a couple of levels? In the end, he is still an inhabitant of Planet Krodacia and that should be reason enough to include him in the title screen. Changing the title screen to put a Krodacian there instead or coming up with a convoluted reason as to why Fat Monk is in the title screen to me is just not necessary. The title screen is fine the way it is, please leave it alone.

Changing the level names? What is wrong with the names the way they are? Plus what is up with wanting to add "Krodacian" to every level name? Keen 6 already suffers from this annoyingly redundant trend of having "Bloog" in almost every level name. Not to mention when the Keen community decided to create "official" names for Keen 1, they named half the levels "Insert Name Here City". They even repeated this trend when they named the secret level in Keen 3 calling it Hidden City when the level is actually a cave. I beg of you not to do this with TKOK! Please leave the level names alone (although I hate to admit it, a few of the names you guys came up with I actually like better than a few of the original names!)

I mean you no disrepect, Ceilick, but it seems to me that neither you or the rest of the Keen community understand the difference between revising and changing! Nothing is being left sacred either! You plan on "revising" the graphics, the world map, the title screen, the enemies, the level names, and in at least one level (Forest Skies), you actually plan on changing the level design!!! Where does it end? By the time you guys get done with it, TKOK will be almost unrecognizable! I don't care what Obama says, change is NOT always a good thing!

As much as I dislike the idea of revising TKOK further, I am sure I could live with most of the changes Ceilick might decide to make. But I am vehmently, and I mean VEHMENTLY opposed to having the level design revised in ANY way. Adding or subtracting a secret area or two, adding or subtracting points or items, or adding a few graphics to the in-level background to improve the scenary is fine. But altering the level design, changing how the level is solved, or eliminating rooms from a level etc, is a big NO NO!!! I will not be pleased if you do this! As for the level design in Forest Skies please leave it alone!

I think it is about time for me to end this post since I doubt anyone including Ceilick himself will even bother to read this far because he wanted ideas for his revision and my demands to keep the game the way it is and ranting about the suggested "changes" probably is not helpful to him at all. In the overall scheme of things it is his mod and he can do whatever he chooses with it. Besides, if I decide I do not like the new revision, I can always continue playing the old one can't I?

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

With the idea of Krodacian kitchens, bedrooms etc.: their alien-ness could be emphasized here. Eating things humans wouldn't think of eating, sleeping places humans wouldn't think of sleeping, etc.
The mansions could be made more lavish/opulent.

I was under the impression that Cielick would be just changing this slightly, but he's letting us throw out tons of ideas for what could be changed before picking a few of them he likes if any. Not making a whole new Keen 4 mod.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Syllypryde wrote:*snippet*
Conservative with a big C.

Like Delta mentioned, I was under the impression that this topic is for brainstorming, i.e. throwing hundreds of new ideas, from where only a few are chosen and implemented. Even wanting to keep everything as it is is technically an idea ;)
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I really like the mod they way it is - except for the music. I don't want to be rude or something, but when I play the mod, I always turn the music off.
So adding new soundtracks and making the existing ones more keenish is fine for me.

Otherwise, I really like the changes that are discussed here. I won't mind changing much of the mod as well. I'd consider it as the freedom of the author to change things the way he would have done it if he already had the knowledge back then.

In short, changing and adding some music is important for me, the rest of the mod could stay unchanged or be massively changed - I'd like both.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »