Keen 64: Gameplay Demo

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

No problems with the textures. With them now, the tech demo is much more keenish. Even the main character looks better, though it may be just the textures.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

No problems with textures, in the latest version. :) Damn it looks good, I really hope it'll be finished one day.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

jimmyjames wrote: PS Keen is in dire need of a jumping animation, although I know it is not top priority.
Yeah all of Keen's animations should be redone by the demo. :)
jimmyjames wrote:I have tested it and it was the first time I seen textures blanketing the level!
I tried it just on my desktop and it worked like a charm. :)
Iv4n wrote:No problems with the textures.
KeenRush wrote:No problems with textures, in the latest version. :)

Thanks guys!! I'm so happy they work! I can now make more levels in the future (outside of putting in objects through an editor).
KeenRush wrote:Damn it looks good, I really hope it'll be finished one day.
Thanks!! You and me both, LOL. :D
Iv4n wrote:With them now, the tech demo is much more keenish.
That's music to my ears! (or to my eyes in this case)

That's what I want to strive for the most, to retain the original's feel while updating it for modern standards.

Thank you so much :D
XkyRauh wrote:Wow, the 3d arrangement of everything looks pretty neat! I just have such a phobia of the camera getting near/clipping through polygons, I'm pretty paralyzed when I play this. :) I felt like it was really difficult to move in striaght lines, using CLASSIC.exe,
Ahh, have you tried FPS.exe? It might be a tad easier (for now, till I fix the classic\gamepad versions), though the controls are completely different.
XkyRauh wrote:but I thought it was awesome to zoom out a tad and pretend it was a 3d version of the 2d games... except the controls made it hard to do much. :)
Yeah, maybe I'll make it an option so when you're looking to the side, you will be able to go forward by pressing left or right.

Many thanks to all! :)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

The effort gone into this is nice, but the controls are still really bad in my opinion. You might try to go for a more advanced Mario/Rayman-like camera and movement system?
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

DaVince wrote:The effort gone into this is nice, but the controls are still really bad in my opinion. You might try to go for a more advanced Mario/Rayman-like camera and movement system?
Thank you :)

Yeah, that's the goal for the classic version, the classic version is more of the "Mario-esque" control, though you have to wait for the camera to update.

I essentially tried patterning the controls after Sonic Adventure 1, and the camera after Mario 64, till I realized the controls of Sonic Adventure 1 only really work with scripted cameras, so I came to the conclusion that if I am to make a Mario 64ish camera, I have to have matching controls.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

I wish I could run it on Linux.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Shadow Master wrote:I wish I could run it on Linux.
Grab VMware and an 'unassisted Windows installer' :pirate
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Natively, I meant.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Shadow Master wrote:Natively, I meant.
Ah.

Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

ROFL.

OK, I managed to miraculously fix my OEM WinXP SP2 installation (which was bought from legal sources, by the way). I'll check this out this weekend, sounds tasty.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Re: Keen 64: Gameplay Demo

Post by GoldenRishi »

Lava89 wrote:Here is the gameplay demo I talked about in the other thread. This is strictly the work I've done so far on the gameplay, such as controls and the camera. You will be able to shoot, move around, jump and control the camera, there are no NPCs or items to collect. The main purpose for this is to get feedback on the controls or camera so I can make changes and give the project as a whole more polish by the time I release the demo.

In this release I am including 3 different control schemes as separate executables; Classic, First Person Shooter style (FPS), and Gamepad. Below are some diagrams of the controls, which are included with the game.

The Classic is similar to the way I had the Beta set up, but instead with a different way of moving around and a self-correcting camera.

FPS is akin to the way MDK 2 or First Person Shooters are set up.

The Gamepad scheme uses the same controls as the classic controls but everything is on a controller. On the diagram I tried numbering the buttons that were on the gamepad I used to test the game.

Control Diagrams:

CLASSIC

FPS

GAMEPAD

I am leaving the other thread open to direct non-gameplay demo feedback. So please refer all graphical and\or non-gameplay demo feedback to the "Unofficial Games" thread.

Lastly the level will more than likely be white, because I didn't bother to correct that problem from the Beta version, but by the demo it should be fixed. I don't think it will be a problem for this because I am focusing only on the gameplay. If you really want the textures to work, rename the main folder as Keen64beta and put it on your C drive, so as C:\Keen64Beta, but even then it only *might* work.

Now...to the main event:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7lb4lf2dbje

EDIT:
BUG FIXES (so far):
V 0.2
Fixed Keen from getting stuck on the cylinders
Fixed side-direction rotation limits
Toned down standard sensitivity
Added an adjustable sensitivity meter (with an updated FPS diagram)

V 0.21
Fixed level textures
Sorry for the long reply on this, man.

Okay, camera movement is WAY too slow. You need to have it move with the character. Lower the jump height; it's way too high. That should be pogo level.

I didn't get a chance to try the other two styles, because I don't have either ports or devices for either joystick/gamepad.

Graphics are bad ass. They definitively are looking up. Physics are improved, but they're a little too fast now. Slow it down very slightly, and this'll have pretty good physics.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
bp
Vortininja

Post by bp »

Ha, I jumped under a platform, and I got stuck. Other than that, great game.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thank you BP and Rishi for your advice and compliments! :D

Here is a redesign of the classic control scheme, and for now it's just the executable so if you downloaded the Gameplay demo from before it *should* work with just downloading this new EXE and putting it in the Keen 64 Gamma folder (and it doesn't work that way....please tell me! :)).

It's called "prototype" for now but it will be replacing the Classic scheme and ported over for gamepad controls.

You don't have to wait for the camera any longer like the Classic scheme so it should be more intuitive, and please tell me about any problems moving around the level.

Game EXE:
http://files.filefront.com/PROTOTYPEexe ... einfo.html

For those who haven't downloaded the gameplay demo already you'll need this:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7lb4lf2dbje

Many thanks to everyone,
LAVA89
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

This new system is definitely an improvement. Keen's movement definitely seems more natural than in the classic one, and I also like it better than the fps one. Nice work! It's good to see that you're still working on this project.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Hmm. The controls make sense as long as the camera is always centered behind Keen, which it isn't. If you perform a series of movements swiftly, you always have to control Keen as if he were a tank, rather than a platform hero...

You've really got to speed up the camera. The FPS style works like a charm, because Keen's back is always to the camera, so the controls are flawless. The Classic and Gamepad styles really get hurt when you can keep pressing the same button to have Keen turn around (try tapping the Down or Right arrow a few times in a row--as the camera shifts to track your movement, you change your pivot point, and it quickly becomes disorienting).

The alternative would be to have some sort of check relative to the screen's plane, such that the Down arrow always moved Keen -toward- the screen, and the Up arrow always moved him -away- from it. I don't know how much coding that would be, but it would really, really help the controls in my opinion. :) I'd rather drive a person than a tank!