Commander Keen in: Foray in the Forest

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

To be honest, I find the keen 1-3 firing system much more satisfying.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

You can't be serious. Keen 1-3 control system had big flaws, including the firing control. Keen would always have to slow down and stop for a brief moment when you would shoot, and shooting mid-air during a jump was all but impossible. Keen 4-6's system is much more fluent, and Keen doesn't "slide" around (as he tends to in K1-3, try landing on one tile and you'll see what I mean).
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Hehe, I think this discussion would go on for a long time... :-)
Let's just say there are fans who like 1-3 more and some like 4-6 more. ;-)
And for those who like 4-6 more it'd be great to have the first three episodes modded into 4-6.
Last edited by Keenfan on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I think the two-button firing was for people using joysticks (did any of you have one of those? Seriously?!)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Can we stay on topic, please? If you want to discuss the possibilities of doing Keen 1-3 in the style of the Galaxy engine, do it on a separate thread, please.

--

On another note, I've got another level almost finished up. The folks on IRC have seen what I have done.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

_mr_m_ wrote:Can we stay on topic, please?
Sorry. Np.
_mr_m_ wrote:On another note, I've got another level almost finished up. The folks on IRC have seen what I have done.
That's great...for the "folks on IRC". :crazy
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I copied the 8x8 tiles (the platform tiles, pat-pat, green spikes, items, and animated id sign, etc. Just the tiles that the first level used) by hand from the Keen 1 tileset and pasted them into the Keen 4 foreground tileset. I used KeenGrout to make sure the tiles lined up properly in the K4 tileset.
No, how'd you get Keen to work with 8x8 tiles? If I could do that then it'd be a huge leap in what I could do with levels.

I have this thing where I like to only have one mod in progress at a time.
A strategy that works, you're lucky to be able to stick to it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
QU3TZ4LC04TL
Vortininja

Post by QU3TZ4LC04TL »

_mr_m_ wrote:Can we stay on topic, please? If you want to discuss the possibilities of doing Keen 1-3 in the style of the Galaxy engine, do it on a separate thread, please.
viewtopic.php?t=1066
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Levellass wrote:
I copied the 8x8 tiles (the platform tiles, pat-pat, green spikes, items, and animated id sign, etc. Just the tiles that the first level used) by hand from the Keen 1 tileset and pasted them into the Keen 4 foreground tileset. I used KeenGrout to make sure the tiles lined up properly in the K4 tileset.
No, how'd you get Keen to work with 8x8 tiles? If I could do that then it'd be a huge leap in what I could do with levels.

I have this thing where I like to only have one mod in progress at a time.
A strategy that works, you're lucky to be able to stick to it.
I can tell I haven't slept much in the last few days, what with starting my job, and getting ready to move apartments this Friday...

I meant to say 16x16 tiles in the previous post...how I got 8x8 and 16x16 mixed up is beyond any of my comprehension; are there even 8x8 tiles in Keen 1?

Or maybe I meant to say that I copied a block of 4 8x8 tiles from Keen 1 that formed a 16x16 tiles that could be used by Keen 4?

I'll look into this hopefully some time soon.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

All Keen games use 8x8 and 16x16 tiles. In Keen 1 these are used for the text boxes, In keen 4 they're used for text and for the score boxes and status window.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Here's a teaser shot to show that this project isn't stagnant:

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

red M's? So Mortimer is behind it all! :mortlol (seriously, when is he not? edit: well, keen dreams maybe, but we dont know for sure :mort )
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:red M's? So Mortimer is behind it all! :mortlol (seriously, when is he not? edit: well, keen dreams maybe, but we dont know for sure :mort )
Not quite...
Those red 'M's are "door" tiles. They were specifically used for the entrance to Miragia, and the entrances to the stone houses...but they can basically turn anything into a door as far as I know.

In the final release those won't be seen. They were revealed in the tile set to make some of the "hidden" tiles visible and easier to use for modding.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

oh okay cool cool...
something I notice is that door leads into an upward stairwell, and the top of the pit is not so far, leaving not a lot of room in there. Maybe it leads into a crawlspace? :p
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:oh okay cool cool...
something I notice is that door leads into an upward stairwell, and the top of the pit is not so far, leaving not a lot of room in there. Maybe it leads into a crawlspace? :p
Yeah, I forgot to fix that before making a screenshot. Whoops.