Let's Play Xargon!

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Let's Play Xargon!

Post by Bonevelous »

Let's play a game I grew up with!

This must be a savanna, judging by the dry looking grass and limited trees.

This game still has one of the best plots that I've heard in a video game, with or without the story.

"I don't know what has happened to me. I'm in a place like none I've ever seen before."
Maybe this is where Sesame Street is!

...Wait, no.

"I remember taking notes at the stone wall. I then began to feel dizzy. I remember sitting down to rest. After that it's all a blur."
...Yeah, if most people want the rest of the story about how he got here, I'll include it in the next post.

"Malvineous begins his journey in this bizzare world"
Technically he began it as soon as he woke up, but we'll let that slide.

Our first level!!... ...Why am I on this random platform?...

...Who cares? LET'S GO!! :D

Eat lasers, you fowl... Two legged... beaked... ghoulishly green... thingamajig.

I always thought this was an oddly shaped gun type thing, and that Malvineous held it by the tall side (even though he has no shooting animation), but now that I look at it, I realize it's supposed to be no more than an uppercase L with a laser on it. I like my idea better, though. >:

Remember this, people. This will be important to note later.

It hurt my hand to take this picture because I had to stretch my fingers across the keyboard to take it. You're welcome.

I may never try to take a picture and crouch at the same time ever again.

"TOO LATE TO TURN BACK!"
That's quite misleading. You can go outside this place as easily as you can go in. ;)

Kidding aside, I don't think turning back would be the first thing to come to my mind if I was unwillingly teleportaled (yes I did just say "teleportaled") to a different dimension.
Here's our exit! We're out of here! Let's go to the ne-

WE INTERRUPT THIS LET'S PLAY FOR AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.

MALVINEOUS RETURNS TO THE MAP, SHOCKS PLAYERS EVERYWHERE.
Some people have reported a man named Malvineous Havershim has escaped from a land known as "Level One" to his home in Map, in his homeland Epic England. Police report that he also left his diary behind, and it contained mysterious messages like:
And:
This is all evidence that the man has forgotten what his home looks like. Further research is yet to be conducted.

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULAR LET'S PLAY.
Funny, I thought he was already in another dimension.

RAPID FIAR!!!

These are your lasers on awesome. Without the awesome, they become recolors of the awesome lasers.

A new enemy!... He says "woah" every time I shoot him. :confused Good thing I'm used to that.

By the time I was done taking this picture, these collectible caterpillar bits had vanished. You're welcome.

Trying to take this picture resulted in me having one hit point left. You're welcome.

Also, that bee with the 25 on him is evidence that there were more. Or that I lit my 25 shaped laser pointer on him. You decide! (hint: it was the former.)

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, WELCOME ARE YOU!!!!

...I had to say that. By the way, I got the key and beat the level. :D
"I've been here nearly three days now."
I guess time is just a lot faster for him, huh? :p

"Surely if this was a dream I would have awoken now."
Malvineous has a good point here, but he's forgetting that time seems to slow down in dreams... Although, probably not that much.

Don't worry, Malvineous, if you die, you'll just respawn at the beginning of the level. :P

Let's save here because you can only save on the map.

More of this excellent game next time. :D

EDIT: Forgot the intro Image! :crazy
Last edited by Bonevelous on Tue Aug 17, 2010 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Those laser powerups were Ls and not guns the whole time? My mind has been blown. :stoned
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

I have two choices for which level I go to now. I'll go to my favorite one first.

...A robot factory? In the middle of a fantasy world? :confused Yes, this game is a little odd at times.

This level has really, really, REALLY cool music. :D Dooooo dooooo dooooo dooooo doo dooooo....

These robots are vfery odd looking, aren't they. :/

Guess which one of these guys I like more, and you win an internet.

Advertising, at it's best.

FIAR BALLS!!! Use them wisely; they kill all foes (except bosses) instantly, and you only have a certain number of them.

TOO MANY EYES!!!!

Let's not go through that door right away.

Let's go to this secret area instead. I love this game. :D

What's this?

King Arkul knew his weaponry. His sword is 2/3 Malv's height! (Yes I just called him Malv)

Let's get this gate key and go!

I've known this glitch for years.

We'll explore this enchanted forest later.

Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Why don't you make video walkthroughs instead?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I find his text and screen style LPs entertaining. I just have a feeling if he tried video it wouldn't have the same quality, even if he hasn't made any to evaluate said quality :disguised
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

yeah I would rather look at images than videos
Lunick is Here
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Hey, does this use the same game engine as Vinyl Goddess From Mars? That's a game *I* (sort of) grew up with.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

DaVince wrote:Hey, does this use the same game engine as Vinyl Goddess From Mars? That's a game *I* (sort of) grew up with.
Yes, but the first game to use the engine is Jill of the Jungle.

Elevator entrance? Cool.

Bubbles! My bubbles. They activate platforms.

INVINCIBILITY!!!!!

This thing called the Submersible Underwater Pod (SUP).

By bonevelous at 2010-08-17
Crown = Mankind/Free from SUP

Using a technique I learned from Jill 2 in my earlier years (not my childhood though; I only grew up with the first episode.), I'm able to exploit a glitch.

I ended up dying after this. Let's go through this again.

...Whoops. Actually, I originally discovered this by accident (IIRC) when I first downloaded this after it was released as freeware (or some time around then, IIRC), so this time it was on purpose.

Let's get these Xibox shoes, mmmk?

You're welcome.

I later found the key in the trees, and...
This was an accident at first, but I had to take a few tries to get this picture without Malv jumping out of here.

...Here we go again. :crazy

I later beat the level, but I forgot to mention a few things, and by the time I remembered, I had to march through a large chunk of the game to get it again.

Before we get to that, let's read this:

Now for this
See the sup?

I'm still alive. This glitch disables the crown, thus allowing you to pass a platform... until you pick up a duplicate SUP. I forgot to take screens of this, so I'm not going to bother with getting until a different time or day.

I'm stuck!!! Yes, I figured out how to crouch and snap without killing my hand.

Next time, a different level!

DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Perhaps you should be running a special screenshotting program that can just let you press printscreen instead of DOSBox's combination or that ctrl+printscreen tool you use. :)

It's cool that you're exploiting glitches, by the way. But perhaps you should be posting some video evidence of at least these, using DOSBox's internal recorder. You know, something that doesn't need your voice, but just serve as a bit of assistance on telling your story (alongside the pics and text). :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I agree, one minute video segments would be really cool, but I do think a voice would help keep it entertaining. If you're not that energetic a speaker, I'd recommend using a voice synthesizer, since those can be pretty entertaining in small doses.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Bonevelous wrote:Image
Guess which one of these guys I like more, and you win an internet.
The green one!

I saw this game on the board page and my face lit up - I loved this game! And this LP is doing it justice in quality! :D ;)

Did any one else have to enter DOS Mode when running this game on Windows 95 (back in the day :P)?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I didn't like this game much honestly. Probably because I didn't play it when I was a kid. But I made it through all 3 episodes so I'd give it an average rating (hint: jill is better).

For anyone who hasn't beaten it, Xargon himself is extremely disappointing :tired
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

these games have something not compared to the games of today. all of today's games are in 3d back then in the 1990s. this kind of technology was not available. games like xargon really are the golden age of computer gaming in my own opinion
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

People also had to be creative to make up for the vast similarities that games had due to both software and hardware limitations.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

If that were true todays games should be vastly different from each other due to little software and hardware limitations. Yet every new (commercial) game looks and plays exactly the same. But yeah, you got a point, they aren't creative anymore.
Image You crack me up little buddy!