Quake is a Commander Keen sequel?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Quake is a Commander Keen sequel?

Post by Roobar »

Well, according to this Quake 1 video on gametrailers.com the "Quake" name came from... Commander Keen!?! There were planned a sequel called "Fight for Justice"? wtf? I mean am I the only one who didn't knew that? Because I've heard this for the first time. What's your thoughts?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Well, not directly from Keen... The Fight For Justice was to be the next iD game after Keens, they advertised it in Keen 1. In it the player character was to be something strong and dangerous man called Quake. Needless to say Quake the game is pretty much exactly opposite to the game they talked about back then. :)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Now how that piece of info has split out of my mind? I guess I didn't pay much attention in reading stuff from keen 1 :tired :)

Well anyway, it's nice seeing ScrewAttack guys mentioned Keen in their video :).
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

Here's a good interview with Romero on the subject. Suffice it to say, Quake changed a lot from the initial design document to the alpha to the final.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I remember that "Fight for Justice" advert thing from Keen... it's a bit weird to advertise something in what was clearly an early enough stage for it to change drastically during further development I think. Maybe it's more common than I think, I don't know.
Kayburt
Vortininja

Re: Quake is a Commander Keen sequel?

Post by Kayburt »

When I first read this advertisement of "Fight for Justice" it got me thinking of a platforming game starring a Thor-like protagonist.