Fribbulus Xax Falls

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Fribbulus Xax Falls

Post by Roobar »

Alright people. My first level is here and ready for download:

20.10.2017 Update: new version is out!

Fribbulus Xax Falls v2.1

What's new in v2.1:

* Updated to keengine v0.48.0 (jumping from pole feels more keenish, better controllers support + various engine fixes and improvements)
* New level: Fribbulus Xax River
* Some new graphics
* Various fixes in the hi-score level + appropriate demo
* Various graphic changes and tile fixes in all maps
* Various sound fixes (and changed some sounds to sound CK6-ish)
* Added teleport with sound
* Updated Fleex: now can stop and remove his glasses
* Talk-able Yorps changed to talk-able Blooglets + various text changes

Story:

It's really hot on Earth and Commander Keen, who happens to be in a vacation, decided to take a trip back to the Fribbulus Xax. He looked at some brochures left from his last visit of Fribulus Xax and found something about an enormous waterfall there.

"There should be refreshingly cooling!" says Keen and prepare his Bean-With-Bacon Megarocket for a trip.

After a while, Keen lands on the red planet. But when the Bloogs find out about that, they weren't really happy.

"No Bloog can scare me and ruin my vacation!" says 8 year old Billy Blaze and starts exploring Fribbulus Xax, killing those nasty green creatures, and having a good time and free grog.

Older versions:

What's new in v2.1:

* Updated to keengine v0.46.1 (better physics and more)
* Native wide screen support (16:9)
* Added Checkpoints (sound from Atroxian Realm)
* New enemies: Eagle from Keen 4 and Fleex (not complete)
* Additional Mad Mushroom frame and fix
* Zappers are now working
* Added moving platforms and clouds
* Added Yorp text messages
* Various sound, text, intro, outro, help menu additions and changes
* Tile fixes, improvements & changes in all levels

Fribbulus Xax Falls 1.3

If you've already played this map, you may try the NOIR edition:

Fribbulus Xax Falls 1.3 Noir Edition

Update history:
update 1.3: fixed graphical issues, uses new version of keengine (i.e. better scrolling, world map routine etc.)
update 1.2: fixed some graphical issues.

About:

This is my first Keen level ever. Don't be too harsh on me ;). I'm using keengine, which btw is a newer version with bug fixes and it's pretty damn impressive! Thanks goes to K1n9 Duk3 for the excellent work and support! I think this engine/game got much potential.

The size of the level equals 2-3 ordinary Keen 6 ones, but it's not that hard. More of a medium difficulty. The level become bigger than expected, so it's not a bad idea to save your progress from time to time. There is enough ammo for the hard difficulty to kill all the enemies even if you don't know all the secret areas. You just have to explore.

There are few modified tiles and some new ones, but you'll notice them only if you are experienced with the keen 6 tileset.

There is one new song, but I've decided to stay with the original Keen ones although they may sound too repetitive after a while especially on bigger levels.

There are a few known issues and bugs, but you may notice them during the gameplay. Newer versions may be available later.

Alright enough talk. So tell me forum, what do you think? :D:D:D
Last edited by Roobar on Sun May 26, 2019 17:12, edited 32 times in total.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Re: Fribbulus Xax Falls

Post by DHeadshot »

wiivn wrote: "None Bloog cannot scare me and ruin my vacation!" says 8 year old Billy Blaze.
I'm not even sure what you were trying to say there...

I'll definitely download this though and give it a play when I can find the time...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Heh. Ehm ok. This subject to change. I'll think of something else considering English is not my primary language.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Fair enough
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Great job! Just tested the game and had quite some fun with it.

Definitely worth downloadung the 6.5 megs - even on dialup! :crazy
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

Very good level, liked it very much. It's worth a download...
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Great level! I especially like the parts that involved jumping across narrow platforms high up in the air. There were a few tile problems, usually the corners of ceilings. Also, some of those areas are packed with enemies; this usually didn't add to a challenge but just a chance to shoot more (although this may be due to the simple enemy ai).

Awesome job though, I hope you'll be doing more levels :)

@King Duke: Do you have plans for improving the game physics and enemy ai? Specifically: the pogo doesn't have enough 'drift' (its too controllable), the movement in general (both of keen and enemies) seems to be way too fast, and most enemies currently just have back and forth movement. This really is a fantastic engine, and after playing both "Aliens Ate my Little Sister" and seeing some of the features here, I'm pretty interested in working with it in the future (with your permission) if these kinds of things are in your plans.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Thanks! Glad you like it. :)

Btw there's also a small ship level if you've missed that out ;).

K1n9_Duk3 seriously, dial up?!?!?

Some bugs I noticed:
- You may already see, but you can go through the angle tiles in the world map even though they're edited in the tileset editor.
- The flag when completing a level works, but not the hand animation that holds it.
- When a blooglet pushes you through edge, there is no falling sound.
- There is a bug: if you remove from the background from the properties of the falls level and start a new game, then save in that level and load:
Lade Bild-Datei "Data/Graphics/Backgrounds/.png" ... Laden fehlgeschlagen. Programm wird angehalten.

Ceilick: could you possibly show me an example of what do you mean because for me, the hardest thing of all was to figure out which tile goes where. And I mean it was ass! I hope K1n9_Duk3 will implement some kind of level to level copy and paste feature of already build platforms. And the lack of zoom feature in the editor, when you're working on a high resolution, doesn't help either. I've already fixed some more tiles.

Some enemies are fast, but the slug in comparison is too slow.
And the vertical scrolling could start a bit earlier imo.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

wiivn wrote:- You may already see, but you can go through the angle tiles in the world map even though they're edited in the tileset editor.
That's because the walking on the world map was a quick-&-dirty thing. I still need to rewrite the Walk() method for the map keen.
wiivn wrote:- The flag when completing a level works, but not the hand animation that holds it.
I did most of the world map coding based on Keen 4, so that's why the hand doesn't work yet.
wiivn wrote:- When a blooglet pushes you through edge, there is no falling sound.
- There is a bug: if you remove from the background from the properties of the falls level and start a new game, then save in that level and load:
Lade Bild-Datei "Data/Graphics/Backgrounds/.png" ... Laden fehlgeschlagen. Programm wird angehalten.
I'll look into these.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

i gotta say... the music in the bwb level kicks fucl :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've made a quick retro (or limbo) editon:

Image Image Image

And here's a gameboy-feel edition:

Image Image Image

Not anything is b&w, but it's kinda cool playing in black & white in full screen :p
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Commander Keen must search for the missing pure colours in Episode 12½: So Much For The Spectrum!
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

this and the aliena ate my little sister level should be part of a bigger levelpack just for keengine =)

What would the story be? Keen goes to fribbulus xax to save his sister but stops to enjoy the pleasant scenery once in a while? What a naughty brother :p
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh well, he saves the universe and you have concerns about saving his sister? She can wait a bit :p .
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Some of these kinds of things are actually in the original keen 6, so you might have to make some custom tiles if you want to fix them. They're not really that big a deal, but I know when I find them in my levels it drives me nuts :crazy