Commander Keen in "Botafloria Is Out Of Flowers"

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Do you want the new raygun to have recoil?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 13

Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Commander Keen in "Botafloria Is Out Of Flowers"

Post by Nospike »

ORIGINAL POST: I'm starting this new Keen 1 mod!
Keen decides to take a vacation at the sunny planet of Botafloria, when he hears that the [insert the name of some aliens] want to wipe away all the planet's plants, and turn it into a hi-tech base!

Hopefully, the mod will include music.
I'm open to ALL (except troll) suggestions on the levels, names of things, story, and more stuff. :)

NEW POST:

Welcome to the official Botafloria thread! Here you can read about the mod's dark past and how I was stupid and all.

CURRENT PROGRESS!
Levels: About 30% done
Tiles: About 60% done
Sprites: Near 100% done
Misc graphics: About 80% done
Patches: About 80% done

Wish me luck! :p Feel free to comment on anything, I'll be glad to reply. Any sort of attention is great.
Last edited by Nospike on Sat Nov 01, 2014 19:10, edited 9 times in total.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen in "Botafloria Is Out Of Flowers&quo

Post by DHeadshot »

Nospike wrote:I'm starting this new Keen 1 mod!
Keen decides to take a vacation at the sunny planet of Botafloria, when he hears that the [insert the name of some aliens] want to wipe away all the planet's plants, and turn it into a hi-tech base!

Hopefully, the mod will include music.
I'm open to ALL (except troll) suggestions on the levels, names of things, story, and more stuff. :)
So it's Avatar then?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Yeah. Somebody, draw a Neytiri replacement!
Except that the enemies are all aliens.
And by the way, there are no intelligent native inhabitants on Botafloria.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Okay, random ideas:

Keen's motivation for standing in the way of progress is there's a school project coming up where you're supposed to assemble a boquet.
The clouds and moon are flower-shaped due to aestheticly oriented nanites with the former and megascale engineering with the latter.
The aliens are robots and all their stuff is technological rather than organic.
The planet has Luna-like gravity.
The planet has rings.
The aliens' shots kill flowers as well as Keen.
There are six-winged butterflies.
The oceans are covered with waterlilies.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

* The aliens are called Fauna, or possibly Biociders
* We need some long grass and tree tiles
* Or pipes and smoke for the robots.
* There should be brown 'dead zones' in some elvels
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

What if the planet turned out to have been a giant machine all along, and the plants were evil alien parasites?
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

epic plot twist
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Would this one have a boss at any point?
Haha, these suggestions make me think of a cross between Dreams and Keen 5!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I think aliens would fit the theme better. I don't really like the idea of robots being the main enemy.
I'd love to include music. This song perfectly fits the theme I'm aiming for, or something similar. I made some ground tiles, though I'm not really sure if I can modify them so the high grass will look natural. Of course, I have a whole tileset, so it should be possible. The high grass will be partially masked (to give the feeling the grass is everywhere, not just behind/in front of Keen). The mod will surely have a boss battle. (No shoot-the-chain-and-ur-done things.)
As for the aliens kill flowers idea, that would be neat, however I don't want to waste any enemies. Since I don't know anything about patching, I can't make enemies from icecubes, so I have less enemy slots. Any patching help would be greatly appreciated. I've made only about ten tiles, and it already feels like on a warm planet! :drool

EDIT: More info.
The aliens are called Snickians, and their homeplanet is Snickus II.
Currently I focus on the tileset.

And I have a question... How do you change the masking? I wanted to do the high grass, but there are no tiles with the b/w masking which I could easily edit.
Last edited by Nospike on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:32, edited 1 time in total.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Suggestion: cannibalize the things you have done for your levelpack so far, in order to heighten the probability of this getting finished.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

epic plot twist
Which everyone now knows.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

AW NUTS. The mod starts to look like Avatar.
Let's see: The yorps (heavily patched by me) are the Snickians. The vorticons, tank bots (and probably butler bots, too, all of them patched) are deadly, huge, dangerous robots controlled by the Snickians. When you destroy the robots, Snickians (yorps) are spawned and you have to kill them. In the end, you will fight a boss, who has an enhanced robot. Jake vs. Quarritch. (Or how the hell am I supposed to write that stupid name - I've never known.)
DHeadshot, you win an internet for being able to see everything that will once happen.
The patching is nearly done. However I'd like to use the ice cannon sprites to create more various snickians (Levellass?) and if it's possible, we could delete the menu and the ending from the game (cuz I'm using a "jump right to the world map" and "no ending" patches!) and use the space to insert more graphics or something.
The patch file has been starting to get huge. Thanks to Lemm and his free-up-space patch, it seems to make no problems yet.
And the gameplay has been improved. Aside from the instant play patch, I'm using the VGA fading palette patch and the framerate patch, which smoothens animations and the whole game.
I'm not yet sure about the garg replacement and the chain replacement (if I make it). Thanks to LL's AwEsOmE patch to finish the level instantly when killing the vorticon commander replacement, the boss battle will be a nice thing. (I hope. :o )

But since I really, really, REALLY suck at drawing, I need someone to help me with my tiles and sprites.
And I'm also seeking music. I would do it myself, but trying to learn making music would (in my case) result in the mod never getting released. :bloody The requirements are:

Song 1: DONE!
Song 2: A bit faster song, maybe something like the Athletic theme from SMW.
Song 3: The boss battle song. Epic, fast. That's all.
Song 4: The world map song - I don't really care about the style. Something slower is perfect.
Song 5: A nice song fitting a warm planet like Botafloria.
Song 6: A song used in the levels where you have to fight lots of enemies.

I appreciate all the help and will put the names of all people who have been helping me in the credits file. :)
Last edited by Nospike on Fri Sep 24, 2010 15:52, edited 3 times in total.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen in "Botafloria Is Out Of Flowers&quo

Post by Dynamo »

Nospike wrote:I'm open to ALL (except troll) suggestions on the levels, names of things, story, and more stuff. :)
Nospike wrote:I'm open to ALL (except troll) suggestions
Nospike wrote:ALL (except troll) suggestions
Nospike wrote:(except troll)
Nospike wrote:(troll)

DID ANYONE SAY THE T WORD?

See what you think about this: Ont he planet... what was it botaflaria? Grow special types of flowers that are said to be perfect ingredients for parfumes that are highly appreciated across the universe. For this reason a corporation named HEYINSERTADUMBNAMEHERE decided to land on the planet and begin a conquest of it in order to build refineries that will transform all flowers in parfumes, without worrying about the various health issues and effectively turning the planet into a wasteland.

of course Keen would not be a fu.cking Keen if he didn't do something to save those worthless fl--- Err I mean the beautiful flowers, so he heads for the main facility of the aliens and requests that they leave the planet immediately. At first the aliens mock him and laugh at him but when he says he is commander keen the defender of lulz, they instantly change attitude and tell him to wait for their leader in a room.

But this turns out to be a trap, and Keen is confronted by a killer robot (or maybe an alien, vorticon replacement, you choose) that tries to get rid of him but he manages to escape. The aliens then put a reward for everyone who will capture commander keen, alive or dead, and bring him to their HQ. However there is someone who nonetheless is willing to help keen save the planet (You can use yorp statues for this character), but his reasons are unknown. Is he just good-hearted, or does he have plans for himself?

I thought about the plot while I was writing it. Tell me what you think
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

tell him to wait for their leader in a room.

But this turns out to be a trap, and Keen is confronted by a killer robot (or maybe an alien, vorticon replacement, you choose) that tries to get rid of him but he manages to escape.
That's a brilliant idea! I'll put it in the first level.
of course Keen would not be a fu.cking Keen if he didn't do something to save those worthless fl--- Err I mean the beautiful flowers
Nice idea, but Keen tries to save the planet because he's on a vacation there. :) And the aliens want the planet as a base - not because of the flowers, but because there are lots of rare and valuable metals.
However there is someone who nonetheless is willing to help keen save the planet (You can use yorp statues for this character), but his reasons are unknown. Is he just good-hearted, or does he have plans for himself?
Awesome idea. The problem is, I wanted to use the yorp message in every level patch and put the yorp message at the start of every level where keen is spawned, thus having some sort of entrance texts like Keens 4-6.

EDIT: The music is working! But I need some help with the tileset. My drawing sucks, and I think you all know that. :o
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Some more info:
The final boss is done. I just need to draw the sprites, a bit more tiles and make levels. The butler bot and the chain are still not patched.
I still need music (or does someone know where you can get some MIDIs? pages like mididb only offer midi versions of actual songs, I've already used one and that's enough).
The mod's storyline is placed after szemi's Christmas mod. Keen will use a prototype of his new weapon, the I.M.S.R. (Improved Multifunctional Stunning Raygun), which is heavily based on the C-64 killing raygun available on Mars.
Expect a video when I get enough sprites and tiles done for the first level. By the way, the first two (maybe three) levels are special and challenging.
SPOILERS: In these levels you don't have any IMSR ammo and have to avoid lots of Snickians and Terbs. (Garg replacements.) In the next (normal) level, you will see why you suddenly have ammo.