keen 4 on the cellphone

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Blue
The Big Foot

keen 4 on the cellphone

Post by Blue »

Not sure if anyone has done this before, but i'll post without searching :D

My good ol nokia 6620 bit the dust on me, so i decided to get myself one of those smart phones. I picked up a motorola a1200, which is a linux based phone.

I got dosbox loaded up on it, and decided to give keen 4 a shot on it. It's kinda choppy (still fiddling with the framerates), but surprisingly it is playable. Just need to figure out a good way to map the ctrl button and keen on the go will be quite fun.

My camera only lets you record a minute of video, so you dont get to see much. but an interesting watch nontheless.

http://www.cocoanut.org/files/keen4a1200.zip

prior to making this video, i did find a cycle that improved the sound and framerate a little, however, it's still not as smooth as playing on a pc.

I just uploaded the video, so if it doesnt play, give it a few minutes before watching
Last edited by Blue on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:18, edited 3 times in total.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

... still processing ...

I'm looking forward to seeing this, sounds cool.

(edit) :confused Still not working over an hour after your post.
Last edited by ckguy on Sat Mar 29, 2008 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, couldn't see the video either, but sounds nice. :) As well, surprised it works, but then again, those things have evolved a lot.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Blue
The Big Foot

Post by Blue »

I'll post a better video in 30 minutes. i got a good frame rate going now
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Blue wrote:I'll post a better video in 30 minutes. i got a good frame rate going now
Sounds tasty!
Blue
The Big Foot

Post by Blue »

ok, the original post is modifed with the new link. the audio starts to get delayed near the end of each video. this was due to the encoding. audio plays on cue (though sometimes laggy) on the phone.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Haha, this is very cool!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Good job though Motorola phones aren't my favorites. I remember playing java Keen by the author of Keen: Next (i don't remember his nick right now) and it was cool. Though playing original Keen on your phone is more cool. Btw I'm still hoping for a new Keen series for NDS :).
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Java Keen? I remember hearing that something like that was in development, but I never thought anything was released. Wanna shoot me a link?

(edit)
Blue wrote:but i'll post without searching :D
Heh, luckily, we're not search Nazis here. In another message board that I'm on, if anyone posts something that's been discussed before, tons of people will say 'in before close' 'and beef or clothes' 'use the fucling search function, idiot' and such, before a mod posts 'Please use the search function before making new posts. Thank you.' Forums that are filled with assholes can be pretty lol sometimes.

But yeah, back on topic. Um ...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Perhaps the reason for that is that we haven't got used to search functions until now, thanks to ezBoards. ;) But yeah, I hate when some tell about search functions like that -- and then they complain about digging up old topics and ban you. :p

That Java Keen was a project by z-1, but the that particular project didn't live long, it soon turned to a pc game instead (Keen: Next, with many gameplay betas with exceptionally good graphics and physics).
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I'm confused.

So there's Keen: Next, a Keen engine by z-1, and Keen: Next, a Keen 4-6 level editor, by z-1.

It looks like two completely different programs with the same name were written by the same person.

Here is the level editor I'm talking, where is the engine? Could someone please explain what's going on? :dopekeen
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I can't remember the names, I thought the name of the game-to-be was Keen: Next. Likely both the game and editor aren't having the same name. And the engine/game was talked about on the previous PCKF, not here, so go searching there if you have (a lot) spare time, which I don't.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Very nice. How does it run with Adlib sound disabled? The sound effects look to be the major performance cruncher.
CK Guy wrote:Forums that are filled with assholes can be pretty lol sometimes.
And annoying when they jump to conclusions and assume you haven't searched just because the issue is closely related to an earlier one.
Blue
The Big Foot

Post by Blue »

it pretty much runs the same with sound enabled or disabled. im looking around for the source code of dosbox. it would be nice to map the regular phone buttons to all keen related keys. i can only move keen and pogo around. other than that i have to use the touch screen to play.

i tested a couple of other programs on the phone too. windows 3.11 works surprisingly well, however mouse support is horrible on this version of dos box. If you click where you want, the mouse jumps half way across the screen. It's too bad, as i wanted to play warcraft 1 haha.

Dos4gw games don't seem to run (yet). It seems it requires a lot more memory, even when i have a 32mb swap file running on my sd card. I'll try some more dosbox settings to see what i can do.

If you guys ever do decide to get one of those linux phones, you should test dosbox out. I play keen on it everyday now on my phone, and even with the minor hiccups, it's quite fun.

And for any other developer out there, coding for it isnt too hard either. You just need a knowledge of c++, qt and your set. There are unofficial development kits out there, so you can pick one up and get started.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

DOSBox's source is available right off the download site.

dosbox.com -> downloads -> source