KeenGrout - A Keen Day Release

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

First of all - Colored masks. This program does not handle them at all, and I'm not sure how I would make it handle them, and unless someone has a clever idea about it, the program will probably never support colored masks, unfortunately. Most mods don't seem to use them, anyway.

Now, about the problem you had, KeenRush. I don't see what it could be. If you edited and saved the unmasked version of the file, it should have a later filestamp than the regular masked version, and when you press 'Sync' it should translate the edited file and put it back into the version that ModKeen can understand.

I probably should have mentioned this in the other post, but each file that is processed by the program is mentioned in the text box. (en) means that it was engrouted/demasked/whatever - translated from the version ModKeen can use to one that is easier to edit. (de) means that the file was degrouted/remasked/whatever - it was translated from the easier-to-edit version into the version that ModKeen can understand.

Also, I am at a loss for what verbs to use for these processes, and what I should call the program. 'Grout' doesn't seem to really cut it anymore, because it unmasks/remasks all of the sprites as well as engrouting/degrouting the tiles.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

CK Guy wrote:Also, I am at a loss for what verbs to use for these processes, and what I should call the program. 'Grout' doesn't seem to really cut it anymore, because it unmasks/remasks all of the sprites as well as engrouting/degrouting the tiles.
In the tileset code of my game engine, this procedure is called "slice & dice".
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

CK Guy wrote:... and put it back into the version that ModKeen can understand.
Ah, there it is. :o I forgot to run ModKeen. :bloody
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Shadow Master wrote:In the tileset code of my game engine, this procedure is called "slice & dice".
Hmm, that sounds like it could be a good term. Thanks, I'll think about it.
KeenRush wrote:I forgot to run ModKeen. :bloody
:lol I was not expecting this to be the problem at all.

[edit] Hmm, and pictures you say, Malv? I'll see what I can do.

Compare:

Image and Image

Image and Image

Image and Image

Image and Image

Hmm, I'll probably get yelled for the giant tile picture, but I was too lazy to edit it.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Ah I see now. Well with respect to coloured masks (and the hittest plane) what I am doing with my game editor is using a multiple-layer image, so that each part of the image/sprite is in the same position, and can be shown or hidden by tweaking layers. I think I still have the proof-of-concept screenshot floating around somewhere, which explains things a bit better...

ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Well, I finally got my act together, and wrote some docs for the new version of KeenGrout.

http://www.bipship.com/KeenGrout

This new version has a few nice features, but the biggest one is handling of the masking plane on sprites.