Keen GBC help?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Keen GBC help?

Post by MOM4Evr »

Hi, everyone! I've been playing Commander Keen for years now. Just joined the forum, so hello!
After poking around a bit, I've found that most everyone considers Keen GBC heresy, excluding very few. However, I'm stuck on it and I'm not sure where to turn...So I figured I'd post anyhow...
I can't figure out how to flip those stinking switches! RRGH! Is there some kind of key combo you have to punch in, or keycard you have to get first?
Any kind of help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry if I'm being annoying, but I can't find any instructions anywhere on how to flip the switches...

EDIT: Duh, I should've looked here first. Sorry for bugging you guys. Found it.

Anyway, it's nice to find a Commander Keen website that's active! ;)
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I always thought hitting Select was very intuitive, but maybe that's just me. Welcome MOM4Evr - good to have another Keen GBC fan around. Hope you enjoy your time here...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Yeah, I'm just far too used to the PC Keen controls (standing in front of the switch and hitting up rather than standing on top of the switch hitting select). I found the post where you scanned in you Keen GBC manual; that really helped, thanks! Now I can actually make my way around the game ok...
As for the intuitive part...yeah it probably is. It's just been years since I played a GBC, and it doesn't help that I'm playing it on my computer with an emulator while I wait for the copy I ordered to come in the mail... This emulator uses a really bizarre layout for the keys. Anyway, thanks for scanning in your manual however long ago that was; I'm having fun playing Keen GBC because of that, rather than wandering around confused!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I only just finished actually ;) . As far as other game information is concerned, may I recommend the Keen Wiki? This should help with any other problems you may have...
Cereal Board!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Can someone plz make a 100% LP of this game so I never EVER have to play it again??? :sick (I mean, does mort get his comeuppance or what?)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I started, but my 3rd video had sound problems that I'm trying to fix before I upload...
Cereal Board!
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

DHeadshot: Yep, I only posted here because the KeenWiki didn't have enough information... lotsa broken links and stuff there. Maybe I'll play Keen GBC until I understand it enough to put some useful info there on the KeenWiki...

VikingBoyBilly: I know! There's hardly any YouTube videos of Keen GBC or anything. Really annoying. How does the game end, DHeadshot?

Edit: Ooooooh, so YOU'RE the guy who made the only two useful Keen GBC videos on YouTube so far. Nice. Good work, man!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

haha, he is also the guy who made the useful pages on KeenWiki for GBC.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Oh, oops. :foot

Anyway, any idea why there are so many broken links in the GBC KeenWiki?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

MOM4Evr wrote:Anyway, any idea why there are so many broken links in the GBC KeenWiki?
Because I haven't got round to them yet? To be honest, I don't know of any broken links other than on the intro page, where they relate to content that's not really applicable (well, there are no easter eggs, no-one knows the names of the songs and the only site giving any info on the development history was taken down earlier this month)...
Cereal Board!
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Got it. I was just poking around the KeenWiki a bit, and I see that there really aren't as many broken links as I previously thought. Most of them, as you said, are on the main page, or on the items page (The items are pretty self-explanatory anyhow). Anyhow, good work!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Thanks!
Cereal Board!
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

You'd be surprised!
I just bought a GBC for $20 USD off Amazon.com, and Keen was only about $5. Used, of course. But there are also free GameBoy color emulators online for just about any OS, and you can download a ROM for Keen GBC off particular sites. Not sure how legal it is, but it's certainly an option if you want to try it out before you buy. (I downloaded an emulator and a ROM after I ordered it, since I was too impatient to wait for it to come in the mail). But when the game does come (The GBC came yesterday), I'll know how to play it!
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

The problem I had was with the Robobloog and the Droiddican Emperor.

The Robobloog wouldn't move a stupid inch once it got close to its power outlet, meaning I couldn't shoot it. (The shots would disappear once they hit it) and the Droiddican Emperor I have no idea how to defeat... I can't figure out how to shoot the poison it carries...

I'm wondering if it's a glitch in the cartridge I have...
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com