When did you first play Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

1992-ish when my dad upgraded from XT clone to 386 and I was but a wee lemmy.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

I was probably about 4, give or take a year. 1995/96/97.
That was Keen 4, as a B-Side of some other game on a shareware floppy from the $2+ Shop! I remember getting it :D It was like $2 for two games haha. It was just for packaging pretty much.
But yeah, well worth the dollar - one of the BEST GAMES EVER!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Probably close to 2001-02 at my grandparents' house.
Last edited by thehackercat on Tue Jan 28, 2020 0:31, edited 1 time in total.
iKauz
Grunt

Post by iKauz »

I first played Keen 4 when I was around 4 or 5 or 6 (I really don't know), between 2002 and 2004. My dad has the game in a yellow floppy disk (I remember calling Keen that game of the yellow floppy disk, mom, don't you know where is that yellow diskette now dad, PLEASE). I remember of losing the floppy disk and searching for it around the entire house because was my favorite game and wasn't installed on the computer. :bloody

Two months ago I wanted to play again and searched around the entire house again, and so I remembered that the Internet exists and I could download the game. 8)
Brazilian girl here. Btw, my english sucks.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I got a shareware copy of keen 4 in the mail in 91 or 92, and I've been playing ever since. :)
RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

Started playing in 1993, it was Keen 4 and I was 4. Then, I played Keen 6 DEMO, Keen 1 and Keen Dreams... now I have the entire series.
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Keen 6 in '98. It was installed at a couple of computers at school for some reason. I had lots of fun playing it even though I didn't understand any of the text — I didn't know English at that time.

Later, found Keen 4 at another school in 2004. I had not played Keen for years since I lost my, um, "borrowed copy" due to a computer virus accident in '98, and I even forgot about the game's existence, until I tried Keen 4 and noticed how natural the gameplay felt for me. Later I realized it was a game in the same series as the one I played in '98, and the rest is history. ;)
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Keen 1 a few years back. I'd learned about Keen online and tried to play the games, on my first play through I couldn't figure out how to get into the first level and gave up.
I think I've posted a longer more detailed version of this before but I can't remember where.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

in 2002, when I was about 4

Learned about them from my older sister
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

I first played Episode 4 right after Aliens Ate My Babysitter had just been published. I ordered both Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate My Babysitter from Apogee. I still have the original floppy disks, including the free Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure episode 1 demo disk that came with it - and the red and green hint sheets. The red colored paper hint sheet had the Goodbye Galaxy hints and cheat codes, and the green colored paper hint sheet has the Aliens Ate My Babysitter hints. Both sheets look like they were printed out on an old black and white printer. They've survived pretty well after 20 years. I also have the original Aliens Ate My Babysitter black and white manual.

I played and replayed these games for months. Fond memories.
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

Here's side A of the red hint sheet I got from Apogee when I purchased Goodbye Galaxy through the mail back in 1991 or so:

Side B just has a full page ad for Aliens Ate My Babysitter.

Anybody else got one of these? :)
Troy Hepfner, Indie game developer
My Game Company
Creator of Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Thats pretty awesome! :eek
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Keen 1-4 somewhere from '92 to '94. I was born in 1990.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Where did we get the debug mode codes from?
I always assumed they were on the cheat sheet, but apparently they weren't. :/
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

About 91 or 92 when I discovered Keen 1. We had 2 and 3 for a short time but they said I, being the 4 year old not knowing how disks work, inadvertedly formatted the disks so then we just had 1.

interestingly, when my dad called the number that the old Keen 1 came with, we think he may have actually got the developer's residence! :o

Anyway, I later got Keen Dreams, and then 4 and 5. A friend then lent me the disk to 6.

In 2001, I discovered that 3Drealms was still publishing the Keen games, and I got their combo CD with 1-5.