Warros Padulosos!!!, a Paddle War remake for Android phones

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Hoogli
Grunt

Warros Padulosos!!!, a Paddle War remake for Android phones

Post by Hoogli »

Announcing Warros Padulosos!!!, an Android app made in homage to Paddle War!, Commander Keen's wrist computer minigame.

Your help is requested in playing the game and then filling out a short Q&A feedback email which the app will spawn from its main menu under your control.

Come and find out more by attending the Facebook event for the mini game's public beta:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=157582044277956

Install the free beta version by clicking on this link from your phone:
http://www.hoogli.com/wp/warros_padulosos.apk

Alternatively, use your phone's barcode scanner application on this image:

Read about the app and get install instructions here:
http://www.hoogli.com/wp/index.html

Watch a video of the original minigame (not necessary for you guys, at a guess):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRq-I-pLMnc

Thanks for your attention. Looking forward to getting your beta test reports.

Best,
Hoogli
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Wow. This spam is so good, it's almost disturbing. How did this know about Paddle War?
Hoogli
Grunt

Post by Hoogli »

MOM4Evr wrote:Wow. This spam is so good, it's almost disturbing. How did this know about Paddle War?
Hey, I am a person. I know about PaddleWar! because I have 15 years of experience playing it!

Follow the links, they really do go to an Android remake of Paddle War!, and your help really would be appreciated with my beta testing.

Thanks again.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Re: Warros Padulosos!!!, a Paddle War remake for Android pho

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Hoogli wrote:Image
What the fucl am I looking at?Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You're not supposed to look at anything. There are apps for smartphones that can read those images as a scanner. After you take a photo of them, they automatically starts downloading the software.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Re: Warros Padulosos!!!, a Paddle War remake for Android pho

Post by DHeadshot »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Hoogli wrote:Image
What the fucl am I looking at?Image
It's a 2D Barcode - the future according to some. I disagree - I think that Base-4 barcode is the best because of its simplicity...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Hoogli wrote:Hey, I am a person. I know about PaddleWar! because I have 15 years of experience playing it!
Ah, ok. My bad. Just had all the normal spammer telltale signs: Joined today, made new forum topic, all that stuff I'm used to spammers doing. Anyhoo, I don't have any kind of smartphone, so I sure can't test it.
Welcome to the forum...I guess...I'm not totally sure whether you're welcome or not, but whatever.
I still think that this is kinda spam, but don't mind me: I'm ornery and all that.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Remember that Paddle War isn't just a Pong game - it has a certain feel and behaviour that sets it apart and to my mind makes it the best pong-style game ever made. Have you managed to replicatePaddle War in its entirety or did you just stick the graphics on a standard Pong clone?
Cereal Board!
Hoogli
Grunt

Post by Hoogli »

DHeadshot wrote:Remember that Paddle War isn't just a Pong game - it has a certain feel and behaviour that sets it apart and to my mind makes it the best pong-style game ever made. Have you managed to replicatePaddle War in its entirety or did you just stick the graphics on a standard Pong clone?
Hi, at last I meet someone who shares the same opinion about Paddle War as me :-)

I have put a lot of effort into reproducing the mechanics of Paddle War. I did screen captures and then went through the frames to measure paddle and ball velocities and rebound angles. I specifically avoided replicating the existence of the two places in Paddle War in which you can place your paddle, never move it, and still win every time. I'm open to suggestions if it needs more tuning.

Graphics are all done as vectors through OpenGL ES, not sprites but they try to look just like the original, and the court and object dimensions are all measured from it.

If you've only played under emulation, my version might look a little vertically stretched. That is because the original was made for a vga mode with non-square pixels, so when you play on an emulator on modern screen with square pixels you see the court slightly squashed vertically. I correct that effect to be closer to the original experience on a CRT. For instance the original ball is a 5x4 sprite, but mine measures 5x5 in arbitrary court units.

Here is what it looks like mid-rally:
On a decent handset it should be antialiased.

Sounds were hard to match exactly. I think that I have better rebound sounds but I don't have such a good score sound.

I hope you are interested enough to help out by running the app. Because the Android platform is so fragmented, there is no way to know if an app will work on any particular phone other than going ahead and trying it on there. Since I only have one very cheap and rubbish Huawei 8110 phone, I'm relying on the kindness of strangers to try it and tell me if it crashes (if it doesn't, there is an option on its main menu to launch a report email from the device - brings it up in your normal email program to edit and approve before sending). In exchange you get to keep the app on your phone and play something very similar to Paddle War whenever you like :-).
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

If only I had an Android...

Could it be ported to other hand-held devices?
Cereal Board!
Hoogli
Grunt

Post by Hoogli »

DHeadshot wrote:If only I had an Android...
Don't tell me, you have an iphone? Everyone I know has an iphone or a blackberry or a non-smart phone. I don't know where all the Android users are hiding.
Could it be ported to other hand-held devices?
Well it isn't really a lot of code, so in a basic fashion yes (worst-case is just to rewrite it). On the other hand, that work is not on my agenda at the moment.

Best
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Hoogli wrote:I don't know where all the Android users are hiding.
Weird. I could name like 10 people off the top of my head who have an Android phone (mostly Droids).
I don't, though... I'm pretty cheap when it comes to phones... :p
Hoogli
Grunt

Post by Hoogli »

Genius314 wrote:... I could name like 10 people off the top of my head who have an Android phone (mostly Droids).
Cool. Do you think any of them might be into a Paddle War-esque retro gaming experience? :dopefish
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I had a HTC Tattoo not so long ago... but I got an iPhone and sold the Android.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Hoogli wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:If only I had an Android...
Don't tell me, you have an iphone? Everyone I know has an iphone or a blackberry or a non-smart phone. I don't know where all the Android users are hiding.
I have an Alcatel OneTouch. It was the first 'phone ever to have a 2 Megapixel camera! I don't change 'phones when a new one comes out (what's the point of doing that? Waste £300 for a flashy interface and new features? I'm a student!) I change 'phones when the old one doesn't really work anymore (hence why I'm only on my 2nd...).

As for portable devices (well, games consoles), I have a GP2X Wiz...
Cereal Board!