A live-ish cover of Slug Village

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

A live-ish cover of Slug Village

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

So since I'm in such a Keen mood as of late, I put off sleeping for even longer in order to produce this:

Slug Village Polk-a-lay-lee

The etymology of the piece's title is related to the instrument played to produce the music. A polk-a-lay-lee is a "kooky uke" of the 1960's. Kooky ukes are weird looking ukuleles that were originally designed as wall art, only to later be turned into working instruments that can produce wonderful sounds. Here's a picture to give you an idea. The long, curved handle was used by surfers to dig into the sand at the beach to leave it standing upright as they surfed.

Anyhow, due to the simple nature of the instrument and the fact that I have about as much actual knowledge of playing a stringed instrument as a retarded chimpanzee, I recorded the bassline and the melody separate from each other and used FL Studio 6 to put them together. The first melody I recorded was actually too fast, which is a pity because it took me a good number of tries to play it without messing up. I only found out after I listened to the original IMF to get the bassline and recorded it while listening to said IMF. I turned around and rerecorded the melody to the bass track I laid down and got one that actually works for the most part.

Keep in mind it's not done--I still need to do the second half of the melody with the pitch bending notes, which will be fun to try and do without sounding absolutely God awful. What I have now sounds pretty decent though, at least in my opinion. And a friend who has never played Keen (shocking, I know!) said it sounded just like the IMF I sent him just prior to this. Not bad for playing by ear, huh? ;)

But yeah, enough of me waxing my ego. What's everyone else got to say?
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Keep up the Keen work. :D It's interesting to hear these played with real instruments.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

That is cool. I've never heard of this instrument before, but it looks trippy.

Your performance(s) sound great. The octaves for the bassline and the melody were a bit too close to match the IMF, but by the look of it the polk-a-lay-lee only has up to three to play with, so it can't be helped.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Cool stuff. It would be great to see some sheet music (or a midi) of slug village if they're out there :dopekeen
Zero X. Diamond
Vortininja

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Song updated. Second melody is now included, albeit a little less complex than the original. Also, I realized that if you listen to the track backwards, it sounds really psychadelic. Far out, man!
"I know what I am doing here with my collection of papers, for crying out loud. It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me, but to a collector it is worth a fortune; it is priceless." - Dutch Schultz