*SPAM*

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
grafix
Chilling in Crystalus

i has an idea?

Post by grafix »

An even better way: use the question system a la K:M, then have "Help me!" links next to each question that link to a relevant page on the KeenWiki. A quick notice above the group of questions that tells the user what the "Help me!" links do would probably be a good idea as well. For example: "Can't answer these questions? Click the 'Help me!' link next to each question for hints!".
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Djaser wrote:
KeenRush wrote:Also, guys, stop answering these spam topics.
Why?
Because deleting topics in phpBB becomes a bitch when it has more than 1 post in it. :crazy
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

DaVince wrote:Because deleting topics in phpBB becomes a bitch when it has more than 1 post in it.
I've never done this before, but wouldn't it be easier, rather than deleting a topic, to move it to an invisible (except to admins and mods) forum, like a trash or something. Then just have anything in the trash forum be deleted automatically after a few days?
Cause it is really annoying to delete entire topics in phpBB.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Yeah, you can do that.

However, the most easy solution would have been if SMF was installed right from the start. You can delete all topics and posts one user made with that, while deleting the user itself too. And you can quickly remove entire topics with it. <_<

</smf-advertisement> :P
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Deleting a topic simple, I don't know what you're all talking about. It can be done in two clicks, replies or not.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Ummm, yeah. I never saw that option anywhere in phpBB, so unless you have a mod installed, it's a bitch to do. :confused
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

DaVince wrote:Ummm, yeah. I never saw that option anywhere in phpBB, so unless you have a mod installed, it's a bitch to do. :confused
In the forums I moderate, I just select the forum, go to the bottom of the thread list (very bottom). In the list of things I can do, there is "you can moderate this forum" with a link to the moderator control panel. There I can mass-moderate topic by splitting, moving, locking or deleting them at once. No need to worry about their contents if I know what I'm doing.

BTW, in those forums the nice thing is that there are always moderators and admins patrolling. Almost 24 hours a day. I suppose it's because we are all people from different countries.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yep, indeed, those things can be done here as well. (I'm too am confused what some of you guys are talking about. :crazy)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

DaVince wrote:Ummm, yeah. I never saw that option anywhere in phpBB, so unless you have a mod installed, it's a bitch to do. :confused
Well, if it's a mod, it's been installed since day one. A nice little X at the bottom of my screen that says "Delete Topic".
Eat at Joe's
adurdin
Grunt

Post by adurdin »

Well, there was a particularly nasty bit of spam posted earlier today, with images. I deleted it as soon as I saw it, and I also changed the account activation to require user confirmation via email. That may slow down the spam a bit, but it didn't stop it on K:M.

I think we want to do something a bit simpler than other suggestions though -- I'm thinking having, say, three different pictures of several Keen sprites, showing 12 images (so 9 other sprites), and asking the user to pick the three that are the same. Should be pretty good against bots...
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Yeah, I like that idea. I actually turned off confirmation e-mails after a day or so as it seemed to have zero effect on the bots (if anything it was helping them), and people were saying that the e-mail went to their junk-mail inboxes (and were grammatically incorrect to boot). I'm not sure where the e-mail form is stored, I just know that I can't change it myself.
Eat at Joe's
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

That'd be great, adurdin, it'd stop them completely.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
grafix
Chilling in Crystalus

Post by grafix »

adurdin wrote:I'm thinking having, say, three different pictures of several Keen sprites, showing 12 images (so 9 other sprites), and asking the user to pick the three that are the same.
Just like KittenAuth! :D
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Like "pick three yorps" or "pick the three Keen pics that are the same"?

EDIT: I guess the first one, judging by KittenAuth.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Haha, just checked out KittenAuth. Cute idea.

But yeah, I don't really have anything to add to this discussion. All of these ideas sound good ... but not good enough, because not only did I trick the signup page, I tricked all you guys too. I've beaten the Turing Test. What now, bitches. Where's my cash prize?