Keen Dreams (And Dave 3/4) level editing

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Keen Dreams (And Dave 3/4) level editing

Post by Levellass »

Since the Keen Awards have reminded me of my severe lack of keen-ness lately, I did this, a converter to allow TED5 (And ONLY TED5) to edit Keen Dreams levels.

While it does extract the levels from their compressed state,s small bugs mean I have included the pre-extracted levels in the zip. Editing a level is simple enough, run the batch file, fiddle around in TED and exit, the levels will be automatically converted.

The conversion does NOT support carmackized levels, so carmackizing in any way will give you gibberish. I could add support for it, but only if someone can help me, right now I'm disinclined.

There is one annoying issue however. Due to format differences, a new EGAHEAD.KDR must be written every time new graphics are imported. For this I have just drag-and-drop the imported header onto PATKDR.EXE to produce EGAHEAD.CK7, but I imagine this could be annoying when tweaking things. (Still, probably only as annoying as instantcarma)

The zip is here, with support for Dangerous Dave 3&4 thrown in: http://levellord.rewound.net/KDLEV.zip

If you have any problems, do post them here. I hope this is easy to use, but I'm amazed at how... obtuse some people can be.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Levellass, you're basically the most amazing person ever.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Oh I know, I know, but occasionally I feel the need to remind people of that fact. :p

I'm thinking of setting the Dreams folder up with modkeen and everything, including patches to remove some of the SHL files that clutter the place up. Then there wouldd be no need for any setup whatsoever.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Levellass wrote: I'm thinking of setting the Dreams folder up with modkeen and everything, including patches to remove some of the SHL files that clutter the place up. Then there wouldd be no need for any setup whatsoever.
Oh, and now you're the NICEST person ever. Stop, you're making us feel bad! :dead2

But aside from that, I think this is a pretty monumental occasion. Why anyone else hasn't bothered to comment I don't know. Dreams editing?! Come on!!!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

They're behind the times, already a Dreams mod is in development and I'm vaguely thinking of revving my Candy mod. )Of course others are welcome to as well...)
Crazy Daver
Meep

Post by Crazy Daver »

Somebody can explain in detail as to edit levels in Dangerous Dave 3/4?
How, for example, the edited levels to insert into game?
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

This inspires me to make a Keen Dreams mod. :p

Ah screw it, I'm just going to cancel it in a few days.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Very nice work!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Levellass wrote:and I'm vaguely thinking of revving my Candy mod.
DO EET
Crazy Daver
Meep

Post by Crazy Daver »

How to embed levels (after the change) back into the game?

Old GAMEMAPS.DAV (59, 2 Kb) (prior to the opening TED5)
New GAMEMAPS.DAV (100 Kb) (after opening TED5)

What should I do?
Detailed guidance exists?

How to export graphics from the game?
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

This is sure going to help KMtM!!! Thanks so much, LevelLass! You are awesome!!! :D
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Levellass wrote: Once again, KDPatch fails us, oh how I long for a better version! It cannot do RW\RL patches, the very ones desperately neded for almost all sprite patches. Without such functionality, it is only possible to make sprites less, remove animation frames, stop them doing things they do (Like climbing poles.) I do not know anyone who can redo KDPatch, but if there is someone, I have a raft of suggestions.
I do! http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/mi ... 0.11.0.zip

Here's the preliminary new version (along with new versions of ShadowMaster's DDX-/BMXPatch). Just got this compiling today, so I added RL/RW compatibility to everything that needed it and FINALY added that %tileinfo command that was first suggested over seven years ago for Keens 456.
Float your raft o' suggestions my way and I'll see what I can do.

PS. this is pretty much continued for your post in the KMtM topic, Lass, but I thought this would be a far more relevant topic.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Mink, time to get your Dreams-compatible TOM up in this thread.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

FFFFF-

AUGH! Why couldn't I have seen that before Xmas 2010 was released? That would have solved so many problems!

Would you like the tileinfo information about Dave 3&4 and such?

Also I managed to get Malvineous to work on Dave 1 support for Camtoo which is awesome.

I'm going to find a corner to sob in now.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Heck yes, the tileinfo info would be helpful - I don't think it's on the ModdingWiki.

Also I've almost got KDRPatch working for version 1.7, just a stray bug or two to iron out before it fully works. That's the version you've been wanting compatibility with, right?