Do you play Keen on original hardware?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.

Yes; I play Keen on an old computer.
20%
Yes; I play Keen on my original Keening machine.
10%
No; I don't play Keen on old hardware.
71%

Total votes: 51

thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

At my grandparent's house, there is an old Magitronic DOS computer. It's so old, it doesn't even have any extended memory. 640KB of RAM means it can't even handle Keen4. The /other/ Keen PC is in a landfill somewhere, sadly. It had a CMOS failure and that was back when I didn't know how to fix them.

Forum, do /you/ have any old computers that you play Keen on? Do you, like me, still have in your possession one of the computers that introduced you to Keen? Tell us about it! :yorp
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

i played keen once on my sisters computer and the sounds were coming FROM the PC. As in, from the computer itself, not any speakers :O
And you really haven't played keen until you played it this way.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

no

I use the powers of the almighty DOSBOX

I run Keen fine in windows without dosbox but it has no sound.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:i played keen once on my sisters computer and the sounds were coming FROM the PC. As in, from the computer itself, not any speakers :O
And you really haven't played keen until you played it this way.
It does it in windows XP as well. That's the PC speaker.
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

PC Speaker mode is the best mode and the one I remember from my CHILDHOOD.

It's an option if you want to use it.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I've got this old laptop that was my dad's work computer in the early 90s. It originally booted Windows 3.1 but he installed Win95 in...1995, presumably. It's my go-to computer for running DOS games, only I can't get stuff onto it easily because no other computer I own takes floppy disks and I don't want to burn CDs each time I want to transfer things.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Nope, I use DOSBox. Our first computer went long long ago, and our second went about 5 years ago. I sed to play in 98 on several computers without DOSBox until a few years ago. I just use DOSBox these days, in Windows and Occasionally Linux.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I had a really old 486 some years ago and LOTS of floppies with games. It didn't have a hard drive, so the Windows 3.1 it ran on had to be started from a floppy, too. Ah, the good old days of playing Keen, POD, pinballs, Duke Nukem 3D, Prince of Persia... But then, it had a hardware failure, so we bought a new computer. I still play nearly all these games via DOSBox though. Three cheers for DB! :birthday
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I always used to run it native, but these days I use DOSBox for convenience...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

THe first computer that I ever played Keen on was my family's old Acer 2-hundred-something. It died whan I was 4, so we just used the new windows 2000 computer after that. Then Keen got lost for a while. Now It's back with DOSBox!!!
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, emulation of course (thanks DOSBox team!). But back in the days, I used to play it on 486 DX 60 mhz (or was it 66 or 80 with turbo? I remember it was even clocked to 100 mhz to compete with the newly Pentiums). I was having an EGA monitor.

Before that (and at the same time) I had a 286 with a VGA monochrome monitor. I may have played Keen on a 286, but wit the EGA monitor, I don't remember. Hell, I don't remember which keen was my first one: 6, 4 or 1. :crazy
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

PandoricaShark wrote:PC Speaker mode is the best mode and the one I remember from my CHILDHOOD.

It's an option if you want to use it.
This. It was a shock of nostalgia when I switched to PC Speaker mode a while back.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

wiivn wrote:Well, emulation of course (thanks DOSBox team!). But back in the days, I used to play it on 486 DX 60 mhz (or was it 66 or 80 with turbo? I remember it was even clocked to 100 mhz to compete with the newly Pentiums). I was having an EGA monitor.

Before that (and at the same time) I had a 286 with a VGA monochrome monitor. I may have played Keen on a 286, but wit the EGA monitor, I don't remember. Hell, I don't remember which keen was my first one: 6, 4 or 1. :crazy
We had a 486 DX 10MHz clocked to 33MHz on Turbo (I love turbo buttons on PCs) back in the days when that was a lot...
Cereal Board!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Was it that big difference? What was the point of the turbo anyway? Who would want a slower processor? I can see it as a slow down cheat in a very few games maybe.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

wiivn wrote:Was it that big difference? What was the point of the turbo anyway? Who would want a slower processor? I can see it as a slow down cheat in a very few games maybe.
Games for older machines assumed slow processors, so they didn't bother using a seperate timer and just worked on CPU cycles. Therefore, run them on a faster machine and they're too fast to play.
Cereal Board!
Lumpytoast
Vortininja

Post by Lumpytoast »

I have an ancient Pentium MMX laptop that's loaded with DOS games. It isn't my original 'Keen computer', but it's nice to use, considering there's no emulation needed to run anything. :p