CGA Keen Dreams

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

There appear to be a smattering of coding differences, many can be seen with the game's startup, there seems to be no compressed startup files. Possibly it's related to an EGA version, I'm not sure I know all the Keen Dreams version.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

wiivn wrote:Hahahaa usb floppy disk? That's hilarious! :crazy

Anyway, cool find. Will see this version. I hope it will appear on bipship as well.
If you ask me, it's very useful. I was planning on getting one too so I can convert/check out a few dozen old disks I still have lying around. (Some even containing some of my first music, I hope :P).
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

This is an amazing find! :eek Someone already managed to completely convince me that the CGA version was scrapped, and then you pull this. Old warez/shareware collections can bring about some mighty treasure.

By the way, you wouldn't happen to know why the modify date of the EXE is 2010?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Possibly because we copied it over? I don't know what he did to it getting it onto my PC, but I doubt he cared about file dates.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

IT'S AN ILLEGAL MOD WITHOUT PATCHES LOLOLOL
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

File modify dates shouldn't change when files are copied over, they usually only change when the file is actually modified. If you check the rest of the files, their modify dates are still in the 1991-1993 range.

This might be a lot to ask, but since your friend is possibly one of a handful people who actually have the CGA version, could you please recheck whether the original EXE also had 2010 as its modify date?
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

I don't suppose he had to use file recovery software to get it off? That might have changed the date.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I'll ask him, he had a hard time getting it I know that, the disk didn't want to read.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Ok, so it turns out that everything but the exe was in the zip folder. He put the exe in the zip folder and that changed the creation date for some reason. He doesn't know how to get it back, and even copying the exe with the original creation date () changes it to the current date. He says there's probably a way to preserve the date, but dammned if he'll go to the effort.

So I have the executable with the date, but cannot give it to anyone :(

Here's a screenshot of the date if anyone's interested: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/Screens ... 282%29.png
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Levellass wrote:Ok, so it turns out that everything but the exe was in the zip folder. He put the exe in the zip folder and that changed the creation date for some reason. He doesn't know how to get it back, and even copying the exe with the original creation date () changes it to the current date. He says there's probably a way to preserve the date, but dammned if he'll go to the effort.

So I have the executable with the date, but cannot give it to anyone :(

Here's a screenshot of the date if anyone's interested: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/Screens ... 282%29.png
This may be a shortcoming of the zip format. Have you tried RARing or 7z'ing the thing?

It may also be a shortcoming on your file extractor, with it just never setting the creation date to extracted file, which are "new" since they don't actually exist in their actual original state in the zip file.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Can't try it out right now but sounds like another lost gem. :dopekeen Kudos.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

How do I 7z files?
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Levellass wrote:How do I 7z files?
Install 7-zip from 7-zip.org, then right-click on the folder or files you want to compress and pick "Compress to [filename].7z".

If you have 7-zip installed, though, you might want to check out if it actually is able to preserve the dates from an unpacked file. Not sure if it can do that.
Litude
Vortininja

Post by Litude »

7-zip doesn't support storing file creation dates, but WinRAR can if you enable a certain option. Whilst making the archive, go to the "Time" tab and check "Store creation time". It requires you to have the archive saved as a RAR, naturally.
After this transferring over the creation date to the modify date shouldn't be a problem if you upload the RAR.
Last edited by Litude on Sat Feb 12, 2011 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

I have jzip. It supports 7z files.