Mr.Black's Keen4 Level project

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

That's right, a .pat file is just a text file with a different extension.

And that "%gamemaps gamemaps.ck4" line is superfluous since the gamemaps file TOM outputs has the same name as the original, so the game will read it by default.

CKPatch: http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/mi ... 0.11.0.zip

edit: ah ninjas. Your latest error shouldn't be a result of using new levels, it's actually related to the tileinfo. Did you change any tile properties in Ck456Tli?
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Wait, there's a new CKpatch? I did not know there was a version 11. Also that error looks like a bad background animated tile. If you didn't change the tile properties, I'm not sure what that is.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

The new version only has marginal additions of new Galaxy features, basically just a %tileinfo patch. Not an official release, just kind of buried in viewtopic.php?p=39061&highlight=#39061
So yeah your link would've been perfectly fine had I seen that before posting.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Mink wrote:That's right, a .pat file is just a text file with a different extension.

And that "%gamemaps gamemaps.ck4" line is superfluous since the gamemaps file TOM outputs has the same name as the original, so the game will read it by default.

CKPatch: http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/mi ... 0.11.0.zip

edit: ah ninjas. Your latest error shouldn't be a result of using new levels, it's actually related to the tileinfo. Did you change any tile properties in Ck456Tli?
Should I be worried that there is no CK456Tli file in my Keen4 directory?

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Well, that's weird. Not sure what is causing the error. I really hope you don't give up since you are having problems setting it up. If you want to try TED5, Levelass made this nice folder already set up to mod.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940020/KGSetups.zip
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

MrBlack wrote:Should I be worried that there is no CK456Tli file in my Keen4 directory?
Don't worry about it, Ck456Tli is a program that changes tile properties but isn't strictly necessary. My guess is the "RF_MarkTileGraphics" error was caused by your using tiles that were never used in the original game and thus didn't have correct tile properties to begin with.

I recommend staying away from TED5 since it is... rather clunky and kind of annoying compared to the Windows-based editors. This download should have TOM all set up for you to use. Run the .bat file in DOSBox when you want to play your levels.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Thanks for the presetup stuff; unfortunately I got the same error. It must be unhappy with something in the level I made, any ideas?

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Anyway you could upload or tell us what you have? I can't really think of what you are doing wrong.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

I'll post this picture of the level I replaced lv1 with. Made that, saved all levels, quit TOM and ran go4.bat then keen4e.exe

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I think I know what your problem is. You also need EDGE Blocks on the bottom of the screen
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Nice guess, but the 2 edge block border goes along the bottom too. The level is just too tall to display it all in one screenshot. My bad, should have mentioned that.

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Your level looks perfect to me. I can't tell what is causing the error. Are you using a patch file? Maybe it's some big thing you overlooked. Hard to say since I don't know much about the editor.

Edit: What are you running to play this? You want to run G04.bat, not Keen4.exe
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Mark tile graphics is a a tile property error isn't it?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Gridlock wrote:Your level looks perfect to me. I can't tell what is causing the error. Are you using a patch file? Maybe it's some big thing you overlooked. Hard to say since I don't know much about the editor.

Edit: What are you running to play this? You want to run G04.bat, not Keen4.exe
Running go4 in DosBox just gives me the line "ck4patch patch4.pat"
Running it in Windows gives me the 64-bit incompatible error.

Edit: Sorry for all the trouble and thanks for all the help, I just really want to get this working because I'm excited about making Galaxy levels :>

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

This just in! I think I discovered what was wrong with my level, causing that error. I had no tiles at all underneath the vision blocker at the bottom of the level. I added a house with its interior below and don't get that error anymore.

...of course, when one issue is resolved a new issue strikes. When I start a new game, Keen4 freezes and DosBox does this endlessly...

Here's the level now...

Did I mess up the links maybe?
(Keep in mind this level is just for testing purposes!)

Of course, my previous post hasn't been answered either so that still may be the problem.

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4