NETKEEN: Multiplayer Keen Game

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
PandoricaShark
To Be Precise

Post by PandoricaShark »

By the way, the four characters we have here are the only ones we're going to get I believe. I spoke to Mink and I don't think he could fit any more in. We used to have Barker instead of Spot I believe.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

When multiple characters were first introduced (prior to that point players played as multi-colored keens), the original lineup was Keen, Lindsey, Spot, and Lt. Barker. Shortly after I realized the unfitting absence of Mortimer and when told by Lemm that the limit was four characters, I decided to drop Lt. Barker since his character sprites were the least complete at the time.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:Wow! And I thought having him as a neighbor on Ravenwood Fair was awesome. Imagine playing NetKeen with THE Tom Hall! :D
Imagine beating him :P
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Ceilick wrote:When multiple characters were first introduced (prior to that point players played as multi-colored keens), the original lineup was Keen, Lindsey, Spot, and Lt. Barker. Shortly after I realized the unfitting absence of Mortimer and when told by Lemm that the limit was four characters, I decided to drop Lt. Barker since his character sprites were the least complete at the time.
It means no more character?
Yeah, piece of cake!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Hey woah I didn't know this had gotten officially released. I've been hanging out on IRC almost exclusively. Image

Pretty darn neat about Tom Hall too. BUT I don't think I'd be able to play a NetKeen game with him, I'd prolly freak out the whole time lol. FANBOISYNDROME
szemi wrote:It means no more character?
I am afraid it does mean no more character.
BBalazs
Grunt

Post by BBalazs »

Or at least no more than four characters at the same time. However, consider something along the line of mods. Multiple exe files (or one launcher exe) each starting the application with a different character set. Having the thing done via a "selection list" where one could pick four characters from a list would be even better. There is no need to worry about network play, today one can clearly communicate to its partners which character set/characters to choose and a simple check and error message (character set mismatch) is enough.

Nevertheless, I've no idea how the engine works, but still, if you consider that mods don't change the engine, simple character sets should be possible.
Lunick
Vortininja

Post by Lunick »

I can't beleive I missed this, I need to get on the IRC more.
Lunick is Here
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

PandoricaShark wrote:Image

Someone linked him to this thread in the comments, and said he should play with us, and he was all that'd be cool after GDC.
I linked him to this thread. I dunno who tipped him off about the video.

EDIT: Guess that gives away my identity, but since most of the regulars on here know who I really am, it's not a big deal.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DHeadshot wrote:
Paramultart wrote:Wow! And I thought having him as a neighbor on Ravenwood Fair was awesome. Imagine playing NetKeen with THE Tom Hall! :D
Imagine beating him :P
If I had the opportunity to play against Tom Hall, I wouldn't have to fantasize about beating him... It would be a reality.
Honestly, I doubt he would be any competition.

PROVE ME WRONG!
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is there a group or a page for Tom Hall? There are dozens of Tom Halls in FB and I want to see what more he will say about DM. I wonder if Tom Hall and John Romero will try to beat each other. That would be fun!
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I wonder, would it be possible to make a port to the Pandora? (Linux, Angstrom distribution)

I could try it through DOSBox I guess, but that would probably be too slow.

This looks really neat. Love those videos!
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

It's DOS and forever going to remain DOS. DOSBox is the best you'll do, I'm afraid.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It should (just) run on a 386, so the Pandora should run it.

I sure hope it does, anyway.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Paramultart wrote:If I had the opportunity to play against Tom Hall, I wouldn't have to fantasize about beating him... It would be a reality.
Honestly, I doubt he would be any competition.
Aww, come on, you should at least let him win once or twice. You don't honestly want to totally beat up on him, do you?
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Commander Spleen wrote:It should (just) run on a 386, so the Pandora should run it.

I sure hope it does, anyway.
DOSBox on the Pandora doesn't seem to be very optimized yet... the last three Keen games run pretty well if you overclock to 800-900Mhz, but every so often I get some small slowdown or break in the music. Other people say that they don't notice it, so I don't know - could be that I just don't know which conf settings are best to use to optimize DOSBox performance. I have cycles set to "max", maybe I'll try tinkering with that a bit.

Anyway, I tried single-player Netkeen on Pandora yesterday. Seems to run quite well on some levels, but slows down in levels with lots of moving things, such as the goplats in space level. The slowdowns would affect play, I imagine. I wish DOSBox had auto-frameskip; that would greatly alleviate the problem.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.