Review games you've played recently

Discuss classic and favorite computer or console games here.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I just use a digital camera with a record function personally, but if you have a CRT that doesn't work. OK.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Haxball.

Was pretty haxxy.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I can say that I Haxballed with lemm, and it was pretty neat.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Sir Boingers and the Quest for Justice -

A free indie game created by Tengudev, who our very own DaVince happened to be a part of. A cute little game reminiscent of new-age retro-style sidescrollers the likes of Cave Story, with a bloopy arcade soundtrack to boot.

The physics make it difficult to control where you're going - this is no fluke on behalf of the designers, it was done by intension to make it challenging. You spend the entire game on a bouncing bird. Yes, you're constantly bouncing. So you can imagine it takes a while to adjust your momentum, whether you're trying to speed up for a high jump or slow down to a stop before hitting a spike. You can float briefly in the air ala yoshi's island. You can't attack, but there's no enemies to fight anyway. It's a puzzle sidescroller focused on obstacles and tight maneuvering.

The entire point of the game is to collect cupcakes and reach the level exit. There are some powerups to increase your health and float time, but they don't make much of a difference in the long run. There is no save feature, and you're limited on lives, so if you get a game over you have to start over again. But the game ends so quickly you end up feeling short-changed. But it was cute and fun while it lasted, and didn't need to drag on any longer than it did.

Here's my score
I wussed out on grabbing a lot of dangerous cupcakes, so it's far from the best score possible. It's like those keen mods where your score resets when you die on a level, designed to make you obsessed with finding the points. Nice work, DaVince Image
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Gran Turismo: Ah, the nostalgia! This game is still capable of amazing me.
Gran Turismo 2: A few new annoying features, such as the replay after the race which can't be turned off (wtfucl?), however this one includes Skyline R34, and thus consists purely of epic win.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

VBB, dude, you startled me with that! Thanks for the review. :p

I'm actually planning on releasing a second version at some point that has a bunch of improvements (easier learning curve / saving / more levelpacks / more settings / possibly some actual fighting with enemies). But progress has been going really slowly.

What I've been playing recently:
The Maw - awesome cartoony game about an alien and his pet/buddy who eats creatures to grow in size. Very fun so far!

The new Kingdom Hearts game for the DS is surprisingly good too. Fighting mechanism no longer consists of just "press 1 button", and they got some very nice gameplay changes going in there. Basically, you're fixing up a glitched up game, and they do it in some very interesting ways.
Oh, and the story is cheesier than ever.

Crusader of Centy, an RPG on the Megadrive. Reminiscent of Zelda, but also has a little bit of Illusion of Time in it. Gameplay, music and graphics are good, story is interesting but not fleshed out and told very well. Same goes for characters and their (non-existent) development. Plus the translation's pretty bad.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Batman: Arkham Asylum:
Genius. It's got a lot more going for it than some pretty graphics. It's got a great story, and excellently performed characters. All I need is to have it on a different console so that it runs faster...
9/10

Beyond Good and Evil (PS2)
Brilliant, has the great graphics and music, along with almost never flickering! :D
9.5/10
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

RivaStyle
Vortininja

Post by RivaStyle »

Bulletstorm
In only one word: FANTASTIC. It literally captured me from the first minutes to the end... nice controls, good graphics (maybe demanding too much for some computers), a really guessed fighting system and a nice story, with the right touch of humour.
9,5/10

Test Drive Unlimited 2
This was the first Test Drive experience for me, and I wasn't disappointed... the classic "free roaming+race" formula, with new graphics and new cars, works well. I don't demand a simulation-like car control, but effectively something in the physics can be reviewed, in order to reduce braking and understeering.
8,5/10

(waiting for NFS Shift 2 and AC: Brotherhood)
"So Achmed, you're trying to impersonate someone?"

"I'm Santa Claus, dammit! I look just like him! I'm jolly... and I'm fat... ish..."
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I played this garg game called "Commander Keen" last night.
Here's my rating:

0/10
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"