NETKEEN: Multiplayer Keen Game

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

You are using the dynamic core? It works better on win98 dosbox if I lowered cycles to around 2000.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Snortimer wrote:Anyway, I tried single-player Netkeen on Pandora yesterday.
:envyface How long ago did you get yours?</hijack>
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

I never once expected a multiplayer Keen game. I tried it using a LAN party and thought it was great! I would love to play a few games with everyone someday.
:begging
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Commander Spleen wrote:
Snortimer wrote:Anyway, I tried single-player Netkeen on Pandora yesterday.
:envyface How long ago did you get yours?</hijack>
On the 22nd of January. :christmas When did you order yours? Are you active on any of the community forums?

In Minimenu with the background killer, the original games run almost perfectly, but Galaxy mods like Ceilick's stutter a bit. (Is there a technical reason for why DOSBox can't have auto frameskip like so many other emulators do?)
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

DOSBox has a frameskip option, but I haven't heard of auto-frameskip.

I ordered as soon as I could, but didn't manage to get there on the first day. My queue place is estimated at around 1,800. Not that that means much given the number of people who are estimated at sub-1,000 and are yet to receive theirs.

I haven't been active on the forums, but probably will be a bit once the machine arrives.
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

I have a few suggestions to improve the game server. One, you should make it so that if a player quits by Esc, the game will either end automatically or the character will disappear from the game. Right now, the character just sits there when you leave. Two, I know you can only have 4 players at most, but cant you make it so you can choose from a huge list of characters to play as for those 4 players other then just Keen, Mort, Lindsey, and Spot? Last, and this I can thank Shadow Master for finding, if you are playing, lets say for example, a Keen 4 map and the second player runs the game, lets just say Keen 5, the game will allow it and cause map confusions. You should add a check to make the game see what maps are being used and if the wrong maps are running on the other players, the game wont continue until its correct.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Thanks to Ceilick's tutorial on page 2, I finally figured out how to connect online through DOSBox on the Pandora. I'd be up for trying a battle one day. (I'm in Canada)
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

Snortimer wrote:Thanks to Ceilick's tutorial on page 2, I finally figured out how to connect online through DOSBox on the Pandora. I'd be up for trying a battle one day. (I'm in Canada)
Id be willing to play a friendly game with you sometime. Just for fun, ya know. :D
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Adding to Capt- er, Commander Keen's post above, it'd also be nice if the game validated its command line on startup. I accidentally passed "-ck 4" instead of "-ext ck4" and I didn't notice my mistake until Commander Keen mentioned my character's odd behavior on IRC.
Commander Keen
Vortininja

Post by Commander Keen »

Shadow Master wrote:Adding to Capt- er, Commander Keen's post above, it'd also be nice if the game validated its command line on startup. I accidentally passed "-ck 4" instead of "-ext ck4" and I didn't notice my mistake until Commander Keen mentioned my character's odd behavior on IRC.
Its Commander Keen, NOT Captain Keen..... *reads post again* Oh. Opps. Sorry.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Commander Keen wrote:I have a few suggestions to improve the game server. One, you should make it so that if a player quits by Esc, the game will either end automatically or the character will disappear from the game. Right now, the character just sits there when you leave. Two, I know you can only have 4 players at most, but cant you make it so you can choose from a huge list of characters to play as for those 4 players other then just Keen, Mort, Lindsey, and Spot? Last, and this I can thank Shadow Master for finding, if you are playing, lets say for example, a Keen 4 map and the second player runs the game, lets just say Keen 5, the game will allow it and cause map confusions. You should add a check to make the game see what maps are being used and if the wrong maps are running on the other players, the game wont continue until its correct.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll put them in a future version.
It would be possible to add in a few more player sprites (as long as only four are active at once) so long as someone is willing to draw them...
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

It would be possible to add in a few more player sprites (as long as only four are active at once) so long as someone is willing to draw them...
:O I've been decieved! Or misunderstood... Or carefully manipulated into completing four sprites before trying to tackle more. Anyway, this is definitely a kick toward finishing my lt. barker and oracle janitor sprites, probably the council page too.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

fulc yeah, oracle janitor sprites
Last edited by TerminILL on Tue Mar 01, 2011 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

i'm on right now, if anyone wants to play

i finally figured out how to toggle controls.

maybe make selected options flashing?
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Eros wrote:maybe make selected options flashing?
Yeah... I wanted to. And it still doesn't for whatever reason, so i just gave up on it.