Huge Dramatic Announcement

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Huge Dramatic Announcement

Post by Paramultart »

This community no longer appeals to me, so I'm leaving. *applause*
There are absolutely no interesting threads, and I feel no motivation to put any effort into modding projects that will be played by such a small percentage of an already small and inactive community.

For example, Keen 9 is the most ranted and raved about mod on these forums, and the audience for that was objectively tiny considering the years of work and effort that went into that project, and that is THE best case scenario for Keen modding.

I simply have too many other interests to pursue that will actually amount to something, and cannot invest any more of my life in things that are objectively unimportant.

That certainly doesn't mean that I don't love Commander Keen. It's a great game, and an important part of my childhood, but seriously... There's not a lot to discuss anymore, and I hate to say but it's getting stale after 20 years.

There is no hope for Keen ever coming to life again. Fans are lazy, Tom Hall is making Facebook games with Romero. Let it die.

Time to move on.

Goodbye.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Re: Huge Dramatic Announcement

Post by Djaser »

Pfffffffff for someone who joined the community a little more than half a year ago you have a fine "I've seen it all" attitude.

I think I'm going to cry in a little corner because now I know that the Keen community has become stale and Tom Hall will never make a new game.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Djaser wrote:Pfffffffff for someone who joined the community a little more than half a year ago you have a fine "I've seen it all" attitude.

I think I'm going to cry in a little corner because now I know that the Keen community has become stale and Tom Hall will never make a new game.
I don't see why people keep drawing "whininess" out of my clearly apathetic, bored and emotionless posts.

I'm simply saying that this forum does not amuse me anymore, and it's ignorant posts such as yours that make it all the more worth quitting.

I would also like to clarify that I have been lurking for longer than the creation of this username, and my presence has manifested itself in the community in ways you'll never know, and I have been Keening nearly since the creation of the game.

I guess it really doesn't matter how this thread is interpreted. I just wanted to briefly summarize my reasons for leaving these forums, and if this thread is not well received than that just goes to show that I am making the right choice.

I'm not asking for attention, but rather just clarifying something in the least dramatic way possible. (via a thread entitled "huge dramatic announcement")

EDIT: I am also aware that basically everyone here thinks I'm a dick now, because, well... I act like one sometimes... And that is one of the main reasons I'm quitting. I apologize for my regrettable actions, and I am sorry if I offended anyone, particularly BlueGasMask.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Now that you leave this forum, I can say that at first, when you join, I didn't liked your attitude. But getting to know your kind of thinking better, now I feel sad you're leaving.

Anyway, I guess visiting us once in a month will work out for you. It's also interesting to tell us where are you moving to.
BlueGasMask
Vorticon Elite

Post by BlueGasMask »

Paramultart wrote:I apologize for my regrettable actions, and I am sorry if I offended anyone, particularly BlueGasMask.
Mate, I'm sorry if you got the impression that I was ever offended, because I can be a jokey dick like a load of people on here can be, including yourself. Just try to lighten up and laugh it off, aite?. Hell, in all seriousness though, if you're apologising to anyone, apoligise to CKeen.

Nonetheless, it's been great having you here. We'll miss ya.

By the way, here's another song for you to go "ugh" at before you leave. :P
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Paramultart wrote:
Djaser wrote:Pfffffffff for someone who joined the community a little more than half a year ago you have a fine "I've seen it all" attitude.

I don't see why people keep drawing "whininess" out of my clearly apathetic, bored and emotionless posts.

I'm simply saying that this forum does not amuse me anymore, and it's ignorant posts such as yours that make it all the more worth quitting.
I beg your pardon? The tree or four posts that I made the last year surely forced you in this position.... Furthermore you often appear to be whining, whether your sarcastic/ironic/etc. or not. Topics like this one do not plead for you.
I'm not asking for attention, but rather just clarifying something in the least dramatic way possible. (via a thread entitled "huge dramatic announcement")
Opening a topic in order not to get attention (especially with this title) is only counter productive, but I'm sure you know this yourself.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

wiivn wrote:It's also interesting to tell us where are you moving to.
Mostly what I'm referring to is college, which seems to be consuming all of my free time recently. Aside from that, I have numerous indie platform games unrelated to Keen that I want to work on, as well as a music project that's been in the works for nearly 5 years that hasn't been developed as planned.
Oh yeah, I also have a wife and daughter who demand quite a bit of my attention, as well. (the nerve)

This thread is not intended to cement a permanent departure from the community, but rather just citing the reasons why I have been increasingly inactive in the community lately, and will continue to be less and less involved with modding projects and whatnot.

@BlueGasMask: Glad to hear I didn't actually hurt your feelings. It must have just been everyone else's reaction to my post that led me to believe you were deeply offended in some way.

And if I may ask, why should I apologize to CKeen?
I can't imagine anything I've done to cross him other than abuse the admin powers he bestowed upon me in #PCKF.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

You're never going to get rich from doing fangames. This is about being part of something you like, so of course it makes sense to leave if you don't.

Also, I've been around since at least 1998 (with a long absence more recently) and the community has never really been bigger or smaller than it is now.

I don't think it will ever die, at the rate it's going.
Last edited by Snortimer on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:17, edited 3 times in total.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Welp, party on. I'm sure you'll be back occasionally, if only to check for new mods to play. (Though I wonder if you play many if you truly are bored of what this community has to offer.)

For me, the tiny target audience is not a great problem. My modding efforts have never been about mass appeal, nor have most of my other works in fact. Though I do think we will find a bigger audience, given time. But I would find that to be a bad thing if most of said audience just look at the games as novelties to be played for the lulz and then quickly discarded in favour of a 'real' game.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Paramultart wrote:I have numerous indie platform games unrelated to Keen that I want to work on
Awesome. I love indie games. Let me know when they're done, and I'll do some free advertising on the indie game forums I'm on, ok? :)

And we'll miss you man. We need someone to make us lighten up every now and then with strange humor. :P
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Have fun. I'm not writing much here, mainly because I'm posting from my mobile phone.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Paramultart wrote: I don't see why people keep drawing "whininess" out of my clearly apathetic, bored and emotionless posts.
;)
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Don't leave!!!!!!!!!!!!
:( :( :( :(
What about Shmaynoria 2?!
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Okay, see you later. (Probably.)
There is no hope for Keen ever coming to life again. Fans are lazy, Tom Hall is making Facebook games with Romero. Let it die.
People are hoping, but you know already that the PCKF is about much more than that. ;)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well people here aren't lazy you know. We have life too.