NETKEEN: Multiplayer Keen Game

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

WAHT? You don't get harmed by your own bombs? Oh man, there I was carefully avoiding my own thrown bombs.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Aren't bombs technically harmless to keen in keen dreams? IIRC they are. So they should stay that way.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

CKeen wrote:Aren't bombs technically harmless to keen in keen dreams? IIRC they are. So they should stay that way.
Thanks for giving out some idea!
Here it is: As in Dreams, if you shoot a bomb and it doesn't hit any player, it'd just stay on the level in collectible form.
Problem: Potential unbounded increase of in-game objects... and when memory is a great constraint in NETKEEN, it may not work out so well.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

In KD, the bombs disappear after a while to prevent memory issues like you mentioned.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Aren't bombs technically harmless to keen in keen dreams? IIRC they are. So they should stay that way
I'm talking about an option here. It'd be off by default, but if the host wants to turn it on it's just a matter of going into the game options.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

NY00123 wrote: Here it is: As in Dreams, if you shoot a bomb and it doesn't hit any player, it'd just stay on the level in collectible form.
Problem: Potential unbounded increase of in-game objects... and when memory is a great constraint in NETKEEN, it may not work out so well.
Yeah, that was the reason I didn't make them collectable again.

There could be an option to make bombs self-damaging.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Maybe someday there could be Keen 7-9 levels included in NetKeen!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Syllypryde wrote:Maybe someday there could be Keen 7-9 levels included in NetKeen!
Oh, that would be neat! I'd be more interested in that than in any of the other gameplay modifications discussed, to be honest. Keen 8 & 9 especially.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I agree! How hard would it be to patch some Ceilick Trilogy stuff in? :D
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Well since the Keen behaviour is unchanged, he still uses his stunner, and there aren't any AI enemies in NetKeen, it should be just a matter of doing exactly what Ceilick did for the existing episodes; transplanting the tileset and then building the tileinfo and levels.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Previously, NetKeen required command line fiddlery and was a little overcomplicated. No more! Behold, NKLAUNCH! Making it super easy to get NetKeen up and running with minimal fuss! Note you will still need players etc, IRC is highly recommended.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4136382/nklaunch.zip
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Now this is a deal, TerminILL
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Tutorial updated

Please tell me if that's correct, TerminILL.

P.S. Is there any time when a port other than 3140 would be used?
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

The port needs to be entered before the nodes.

A port other than 3140 might be used if for some reason you're unable to forward 3140. Theoretically, any port from 1025 up could be used if it is not already in use.

I will update this a little soon, since what's there is basically what I whipped up in an hour, tops.

EDIT: New version is go, at the same link. This allows for hosting, and prevents a possible memory usage issue present in the old version.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

Wow, very nice, thanks.
Just a question: does NetKeen through CKLaunch use more memory than NetKeen without it?