Keen 3: Levels You Can Actually Beat

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I beat Keen 3 at the age of 3 and didn't find it to be of particular difficulty.
However, I am not opposed to a Keen 3 PLUS.

It is my favorite game of the Vorticons trilogy. The residential areas breathed a certain life into the game, and it focused more on organics than all the hi-tech sci-fi crap that was in Keen 2 and Keen 5.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I liked how in Keen 3, you were the invader, and you got to kill any innocent civilians who felt the need to play hero.
At least that's how the game felt to me at the time. :mort
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

And so it was that the eager and fresh faced Captain Kerpow set out to rid the galaxy of all those who threatened Vorticon VI... and was gunned down outside his nursery by a hairless pink(white!) invader.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Preston wrote:I am excited to inform you all that, as of this night, I am the first person in Keen history to beat the Caves of Oblivion the long way.
Maybe, maybe not. I know that FCTW from the Commander Genius team had modified the Caves of Oblivion to be beatable (with an option to turn it on and off), as well as a couple other levels. The question is, did he play it through or not?

And has anyone beaten "The Brig"? My brother and I have wasted hours and countless lives on that level. The farthest we have gotten is to the last building. The Meeps always kill us there.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

You mean Cape Canavorta? I plan to modify that today.

Every level in Keen 3: LYCAB will still have the same basic layout as the original Keen 3, just slightly changed to be more fair. I want people to be able to beat the game to completion without too much frustration. That means no leaps of faith, no balls and jacks, and a reduction of those green one-way doors you can't go back out of.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Is that mountain beatable though, without jumping over it???
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Yes. And this time you get penalized for taking the shortcut. How? You will have to find out.

Also, the moderators are free to lock this topic since I will be making a new thread in the release forum. Expect the level pack to come today in that thread.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I beat Keen 3 at the age of 3 and didn't find it to be of particular difficulty.
Paramultart died three years ago, death just hasn't found the courage to tell him yet. He's already been to Mars, that's why there's no signs of life. You can pogo through ceilings sometimes, Para can swim through land. He once played against Superman for a bet, the loser had to wear his underwear outside his pants. The computer he first played Keen 3 on is now known as Optimus Prime.

The guy doesn't flush the toilet, he simply puts on his game face and scares the crap out of it. Mort has insomnia, he keeps checking his closet for Paramultart. After Keen he want on to win a game of connect four... in three moves. There's no such thing a mass extinction events, only a list of animals Para allows to live, he knows where you live... and where you die.

They made a movie called Alien vs Predator vs Paramultart. It was a huge flop, nobody would pay to see a movie three minutes and fourteen seconds long. The reason the universe is constantly expanding is because it's trying to get away from Paramultart. Every time he views this forum the internet crashes, no computer is stupid enough to get between Para and Keen.

He played the games without once using the ctrl button, his computer doesn't have one, he's always in control. He puts the 'laughter' in "manslaughter' He doesn't shave, he can use his beard to sharpen razors.

He never uses disinfectants, they only kill 99.9% of germs, he can kill 100% of whatever the hell he wants.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:
Paramultart died three years ago, death just hasn't found the courage to tell him yet. He's already been to Mars, that's why there's no signs of life. You can pogo through ceilings sometimes, Para can swim through land. He once played against Superman for a bet, the loser had to wear his underwear outside his pants. The computer he first played Keen 3 on is now known as Optimus Prime.

The guy doesn't flush the toilet, he simply puts on his game face and scares the crap out of it. Mort has insomnia, he keeps checking his closet for Paramultart. After Keen he want on to win a game of connect four... in three moves. There's no such thing a mass extinction events, only a list of animals Para allows to live, he knows where you live... and where you die.

They made a movie called Alien vs Predator vs Paramultart. It was a huge flop, nobody would pay to see a movie three minutes and fourteen seconds long. The reason the universe is constantly expanding is because it's trying to get away from Paramultart. Every time he views this forum the internet crashes, no computer is stupid enough to get between Para and Keen.

He played the games without once using the ctrl button, his computer doesn't have one, he's always in control. He puts the 'laughter' in "manslaughter' He doesn't shave, he can use his beard to sharpen razors.

He never uses disinfectants, they only kill 99.9% of germs, he can kill 100% of whatever the hell he wants.
Are we talking about Paramultart or Chuck Norris?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

For those who haven't heard, the level pack is done. You can download it at the release forum. Mods are free to lock this thread now.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Cool.

Are we talking about Paramultart or Chuck Norris?
Paramultart, he punched Chuck Norris so hard he was knocked out of Texas and changed his name to Micheal Moore.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

I'm thinking about doing a level pack for Keen 2 that fixes its flaws the same way "Keen 3: Levels You Can Actually Beat" does for Keen 3. It will be called "Keen 2: Trial and Error Begone" and will be designed with first time players in mind.

I find that Keen 2 has a different problem in terms of level design than Keen 3 does. Keen 3 is hard because of cheap enemy and hazard placement, whereas Keen 2 is hard because the game requires a lot of trial and error. Keen 2 is pretty easy when you know what you're doing, but is insanely convoluted for first time players. I still want to keep the same level of challenge the original Keen 2 has, only with less confusion involved.

Anyone think I should do it? Also, please post your feedback in the release forum for Keen 3: Levels You Can Actually Beat. I would really appreciate it.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

I played the first 6 levels of your levelpack and I really liked what I've seen so far. This could finally make me play Keen 3 again. :-)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

viewtopic.php?t=1911

New thread. This thread is locked.
Image You crack me up little buddy!