Keen forum archives from 2001

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Keen forum archives from 2001

Post by Snortimer »

Just before InsideTheWeb went down in March 2001, I made some archives of the various existing ITW Keen forums at that time. Here's a zip file containing them:

http://speedy.sh/w57Ef/keenboards-snortimer.zip

You can see some old members there like Thea, CrazyKeen, RoboBlue, Xky Rauh, and myself as well. Also Peter Heardgahna/Neil McRae.

It's not really organized very well, but basically:

each .htm file in the main folder was a separate forum (there were a whole bunch, because people were creating "secret" ones to hide from Peter/Neil).

Each subfolder contains some pages from within some threads of the forum with the same number.

Some images are also saved.

I had been planning to put it up on a site somewhere and make it browsable, but I never did figure out how to do that...
Last edited by Snortimer on Mon Nov 05, 2012 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

This is awesome! There isn't a whole lot of substance to many of the posts, but it's great to be able to go back and read through a piece of Keen history.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Neat, and good thinking archiving. I can't say I recall these forums, but I do specifically remember being a member of a Yahoo Club (they're called groups now I believe) sometime between '99 and '02.
I wasn't very active, but I also lurked around some fan sites and a few message boards as well back in the day. I was more in a Wolf3D craze back then. (ie. Announcing over 100+ mods a month and never finishing them...)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

oh man this'll make a good read tonight.

Edit: hmm this is fewer text than I'd expected. Also a lot more swearing. Seems it was extremely cosy in ye olden days.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Can't download - contains a Trojan...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

DHeadshot wrote:Can't download - contains a Trojan...
Really? I rescanned with Avira just to make sure, and it didn't find anything.

Can you be a bit more specific?
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Snortimer, stop trying to add the pckf to your botnet.
Pokota
Vortininja

Post by Pokota »

Legacyware generally trips modern anti-viruses, mostly with false positives. I remember getting a perfectly empty floppy disk from our batch of floppies that have never been outside our house except at purchase, popping it into our Win98 machine, and learning that they somehow had Empire.MonkeyB on them despite only ever being formatted on our old Packard Bell.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Snortimer wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:Can't download - contains a Trojan...
Really? I rescanned with Avira just to make sure, and it didn't find anything.

Can you be a bit more specific?
Apparently "Exploit.HTML.securitybreach.3"...

If it is a legacy thing, I can give you a copy the simple encryption thingy I wrote so the Antivirus doesn't work out what it is until it's downloaded...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Are you sure the virus (if there really is one) isn't somehow coming from Mediafire itself? Mediafire is a truly horrible site and I don't trust downloading anything from it. Maybe someone who already has the files could upload them somewhere else. (maybe for that K2 levelpack as well?)
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Mediafire isn't great, no, but that looks like a false alarm to me.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Gridlock wrote:Are you sure the virus (if there really is one) isn't somehow coming from Mediafire itself? Mediafire is a truly horrible site and I don't trust downloading anything from it.
Whaaat? Where did you get this idea from? Mediafire is leaps and bounds better than Rapidshare and similar sites. It has at least the decency to not make you wait a minute (or an hour) and they don't touch your files whatsoever (except to remove them on inactivity). As far as large scale free temporary file hosting sites go, I haven't seen any do it better yet.

What made you think they'd put viruses in any uploaded content, anyway? That would both be illegal and majorly hurt their entire business.

Most definitely a false alarm. Avira has done it a few times for me too (not on Mediafire hosted files, mind you).
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, that's crazy talk!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Yeah, nobody ever breaks the law to enforce poor business practices on the internet. :P
Although it may be a false alarm, I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of you getting a virus from an ad or something.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Wow this was really cool to look through. The post about 'New Keen Game - Return on Mars' I definitely remember reading. At least as of several years ago I still had a piece of paper with 'new keen game return on mars [that url]' scrawled on it in my 10/11-year-old handwriting.